SportsWrath

This Years Compensatory Picks For the Giants

BleedinBlue

The NFL is supposed to announce by the end of March which teams get compensatory picks and at what round. It is determined by what free agents were lost the previous year and were not replaced by a free agent of equal or greater value.

From my determination, the only player we lost that was not compensated for by an additional free agent was Visanthe Shianco. The Giants grabbed him in the 3rd round in 2003. His playing time and stats went up considerably after leaving the Giants for the Vikings.

From what I understand about compensatory picks, the highest pick awarded is an additional 4th rounder and the lowest is a 7th rounder of course.

Hopefully, we get an extra 4th round pick this year.....but probably a 5th....or if the NFL execs stick it to us, a 6th.

We also have an extra 6th round pick we picked up in a trade for Ryan Grant. Since we will have 9 draft picks this year........and, we don't really have any emergency holes to fill....maybe we should package a few picks to move up in the second round. Just thinking out loud.

Anyway........just wondering if anyone has heard yet.

Don't forget the pick we give up for Tynes. I am not sure if you added that to your calculations. I forget what we traded him for, but a 6th or 7th rounder.

Oh yeah....I forgot about that one. I believe the trade was conditional upon Tyne's performance, but would be no greater than a 6th round. Hopefully, the 7th round.

That means we'll have 8 picks this year, not 9 as I stated earlier.

Thanks for pointing that out.

NY Giants pick up another draft pick

Posted by Star-Ledger Staff March 31, 2008 3:55PM

Much was made of the Giants' across-the-board success in last spring's draft. They just received an additional pick in the sixth round this year.

As compensation for losing Jay Feely, Visanthe Shiancoe and Frank Walker in 2007, the Giants now own the 33rd pick in the sixth round. The team lost those three and only signed two free agents a year ago -- Kawika Mitchell and Anthony Wright. That gives them one compensatory pick this year.

Under terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in a year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

Last spring, general manager Jerry Reese used the Giants' seven draft picks to select seven key contributors to the team's Super Bowl run.

http://blog.nj.com/ledgergiants/2008/03/ny...other_draf.html

w00t we also have another pick from trading Grant to the Pack.

"Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula."

LOL! This exact same wording has been cut 'n' pasted onto ANY explanation of the comp picks process. Basically no one outside the NFL knows how they calculate it.

"Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula."

LOL! This exact same wording has been cut 'n' pasted onto ANY explanation of the comp picks process. Basically no one outside the NFL knows how they calculate it.

I don't think I want to know. There was a time when I wanted to know how the QB Rating was done... until someone explained it to me. :ph34r:

I don't think I want to know. There was a time when I wanted to know how the QB Rating was done... until someone explained it to me. :ph34r:

I really wanted to find the 'formula' for this a few months back but I've come to the conclusion that there isn't one and they just make a guessimate.

I don't like the Passer Rating formula because it maxes out at 77.5% completion and puts too much weight into TDs per attempt and yards per attempt. Comp % and INTs should have the most weighting IMHO.

So, now we have 3 picks in the 6th round ...the 30th, 32nd, and 33rd....(or the 196th, 198th, and 199th overall)

That'll be a very busy few minutes for Reese, TC, Spags, and crew.

Since Visanthe was a 3rd rd pick and he's now a full time starter for Minnesota, we should have gotten no worse than a 5th, and in my opinion, we should've gotten a 4th rd comp pick. :furious:

So, now we have 3 picks in the 6th round ...the 30th, 32nd, and 33rd....(or the 196th, 198th, and 199th overall)

That'll be a very busy few minutes for Reese, TC, Spags, and crew.

Since Visanthe was a 3rd rd pick and he's now a full time starter for Minnesota, we should have gotten no worse than a 5th, and in my opinion, we should've gotten a 4th rd comp pick. :furious:

Yeah, one year we lost Ron Stone, another Pro-Bowler and some other guy and I think we got a 7th-rounder.

From ProFootballTalk:

"The maximum number of compensatory picks any team can receive is four, which the Baltimore Ravens and Cincinnati Bengals got this year.

The Bears, Colts, Eagles and Redskins got three compensatory picks apiece. The Bills, Panthers and Dolphins got two each, and the Falcons, Packers, Giants, Rams, Chargers and Titans each got one.

The most valuable compensatory picks are the third-rounders, which were awarded to the Redskins, Bengals, Falcons and Ravens. In past years those would have been the last four picks of the first day of the draft; this year the third round is on the second day.

Fourth-round compensatory picks went to the Eagles, Bills, Ravens, Titans and Packers. Only one team, the Chargers, got a fifth-round compensatory pick.

Sixth-round compensatory picks were awarded, in order, to the Giants, Eagles, Colts, Colts, Eagles, Dolphins, Colts, Ravens and Bengals. The rest of the compensatory picks are seventh-rounders".

I think the Giants got screwed on this one! :TD:

From ProFootballTalk:

"The maximum number of compensatory picks any team can receive is four, which the Baltimore Ravens and Cincinnati Bengals got this year.

The Bears, Colts, Eagles and Redskins got three compensatory picks apiece. The Bills, Panthers and Dolphins got two each, and the Falcons, Packers, Giants, Rams, Chargers and Titans each got one.

The most valuable compensatory picks are the third-rounders, which were awarded to the Redskins, Bengals, Falcons and Ravens. In past years those would have been the last four picks of the first day of the draft; this year the third round is on the second day.

Fourth-round compensatory picks went to the Eagles, Bills, Ravens, Titans and Packers. Only one team, the Chargers, got a fifth-round compensatory pick.

Sixth-round compensatory picks were awarded, in order, to the Giants, Eagles, Colts, Colts, Eagles, Dolphins, Colts, Ravens and Bengals. The rest of the compensatory picks are seventh-rounders".

I think the Giants got screwed on this one! :TD:

i actually feel we did better than we should have. I was expecting a 7th at least for Gibril.

We have 8 picks, 3 in the 6th. Anyone thinking we try to move up in the 2nd or 3rd rounds? I doubt we try to move up in the first, since there doesn't seem to be a great player in a position of need for us (at least not without giving up the farm), but I could see us trying to move up in the other 2 first day rounds.

I don't think we really got screwed -- last year we cut a lot of players, but we didn't really lose much in free agency. This coming year is a different story.

i actually feel we did better than we should have. I was expecting a 7th at least for Gibril.

The losses we had this year won't be compensated until next year. This years compensotory picks are based on the losses of CB Frank Walker, K Jay Feely, and TE Visanthe Shiancoe. But since we signed LB Kawiki Mitchell (an offset for losing Frank Walker) and QB Anthony Wright (an offset for losing Feely), we were to be compensated for the loss of Shianco only. And Shiancoe was our 3rd round pick who played all 16 games for the Vikings (and was their starter) after getting a 5-year $18.2 million contract .......... it just stood to reason that we should get better than a 6th for the loss of Shiancoe.

Oh well.....maybe we'll pick up a gem of a sleeper with the extra 6th round pick. At least he should come a lot cheaper than a 3rd or 4th.

I thought they were going to add the third round this year. My mistake.

Actually, this is the first year that the thrid round isn't included. They changed the format so that they could drag out two days of television prime time. They also shortened the time between draft picks in the first round....also probably to keep ESPN happy.

Actually, this is the first year that the thrid round isn't included. They changed the format so that they could drag out two days of television prime time. They also shortened the time between draft picks in the first round....also probably to keep ESPN happy.

Actually I heard the real reason is because Chris Berman couldn't take the heat anymore. All that time with Mel blowing hot air really got to him.

The losses we had this year won't be compensated until next year. This years compensotory picks are based on the losses of CB Frank Walker, K Jay Feely, and TE Visanthe Shiancoe. But since we signed LB Kawiki Mitchell (an offset for losing Frank Walker) and QB Anthony Wright (an offset for losing Feely), we were to be compensated for the loss of Shianco only. And Shiancoe was our 3rd round pick who played all 16 games for the Vikings (and was their starter) after getting a 5-year $18.2 million contract .......... it just stood to reason that we should get better than a 6th for the loss of Shiancoe.

Oh well.....maybe we'll pick up a gem of a sleeper with the extra 6th round pick. At least he should come a lot cheaper than a 3rd or 4th.

But it needs to be ranked amongst all the other team's losses. SB rings factor into the equation too, it's hard to make an argument that we lost more than we gained last season. We should be happy with a 6th.

Honestly I'd be angry if another team was getting mid-round picks in compensation for losing a mediocre player like Shiancoe.