SportsWrath

We're going LB in the first round

BigBlueArrington

Ali Highsmith anyone?

This year's draft is WEAK at the obvious position of need, Safety. I think we may can develop Craig Dahl or Miochael Johnson as both are decent athletes and Dahls combine numbers were pretty impressive. Shame about the ACL.

IMO we don't need a CB. If the price is not outrageous, maybe we pick up a stud via free agency and move Madison to nickel.

One things for sure, the draft is deep and a stud LB will be available. Thoughts?

For the life of me I cant stand to watch College football, it reminds me of pop warner games with bigger players.

So I have no idea about any players we draft until after I read about them later on.

Anyways, my friend is a huge NCAA football fan and he is saying the same thing, that we will take this Highsmith kid. He said he will be a stud LB and if he falls to us we should definitely take him.

I can't stand college football either but I like it when really good players become Giants. ;)

Highsmith is only the top 3 or 4 projected Lb so he should fall late first early second. If not, there are a few others who would upgrade the Giants LB core and start right away. Now what to do with Kiwi/Mitchell.

I can't stand college football either but I like it when really good players become Giants. ;)

Highsmith is only the top 3 or 4 projected Lb so he should fall late first early second. If not, there are a few others who would upgrade the Giants LB core and start right away. Now what to do with Kiwi/Mitchell.

Mitchell has earned his spot next year and I say week keep him until we find something better.

Kiwi I say we use him like Ware. Let him be a DE/LB hybrid, have him in the game and let him cause some confusion with the opposing O line. Is he going to rush the QB or drop back into coverage?

First to address the safety issue...Wilson is staying. Butler I would say is not starting next year or at the very least will compete with Johnson.

Kiwi and Pierce are not going anywhere. Mitchell is a FA....and if I were Reese I would be thinking about resigning him if the price is right. Quality guy who knows the system and has postseason experience with the team....that has value.

The CB position is in dire need of help. I say that with knowing NOTHING about this Pope kid. But our CB depth chart goes like this:

Madison (getting old)

Ross (Starter for a few years lets see what happens down the line)

Dockery (Starter material? I need to see more to say that)

Webster (He has had a hot streak in the playoffs and deserves a LOT of credit for that....but he had 3 seasons to do it and came up short more often then not)

McQuarters (getting old)

Pope (Who?)

6 guys. 2 of which will be gone very soon. I don't know Websters contract situation but I would guess he has next year at the minimum to show this postseason is not just a hot streak or a fluke. As a GM I would assume this few weeks is a fluke and say "I have 1 starting CB (Ross), 1 MAYBE starting CB (Dockery), 1 MAYBE starting CB (Webster), and 1 guy who is on the practice squad (Pope)". At least early in the draft they need to go CB, and they are picking either 31 or 32.

Which reminds me.....we are picking 31 or 32. And when you are picking that late in the first round, you need to look at the best players available and pick the one who helps you the best. So if you want to guess who the Giants are going to pick in the first round, look for a late rounder in a talent pool that will help the Giants in the short run.

say goodbye to Gibril, its a weak safety free agent market too, and somebody will over pay for Wilson, hopefully Miami :TU:

Feel free to sign our scrub S Yeremiah Bell...he's a proven playmaker in all 8 games he's played over his 4 year career

say goodbye to Gibril, its a weak safety free agent market too, and somebody will over pay for Wilson, hopefully Miami :TU:

Feel free to sign our scrub S Yeremiah Bell...he's a proven playmaker in all 8 games he's played over his 4 year career

I am the eternal optimist when it comes to team loyalty (that douche Tiki tricked me) so I hope he sticks with the team. Maybe we do need to go for a safety....that is just such an important position for a rookie to hold down. Last line of defense, generally speaking the captain of the secondary...I would prefer keeping Wilson to inserting a rookie but like you said the money could be too costly.

I am the eternal optimist when it comes to team loyalty (that douche Tiki tricked me) so I hope he sticks with the team. Maybe we do need to go for a safety....that is just such an important position for a rookie to hold down. Last line of defense, generally speaking the captain of the secondary...I would prefer keeping Wilson to inserting a rookie but like you said the money could be too costly.

haha, tiki. good times.

I basically agree with what you said, but sometimes you gotta put down the kool-aid and prepare for the worst. Weak S FA class=big bucks and I can't see the Giants competing too much for his services. Surely if the price is right he will return to NY, but look for the Tuna to make a move

What???

any way Wilson will not go anywhere he will be our #1 veteran Safety why would we get rid of him if the free agency Market is weak?

What???

any way Wilson will not go anywhere he will be our #1 veteran Safety why would we get rid of him if the free agency Market is weak?

While I don't agree with this I am assuming because we don't want to overpay for him.

I don't think he will command a price the Giants couldn't swallow. He is a starting veteran of many years and has played pretty good overall and at a high level these past couple games. I do agree with replacing Butler but Johnson (43) has made some good plays....I still think that pass interference against him when covering Driver was bullshit....and I personally haven't seen that many mistakes. Some say he bites on play action but I haven't seen it....but will be looking.

What???

Because he will be one of the few good safety available. To be honest there is a very good chance Wilson will be paid big bucks somewhere else.

While I don't agree with this I am assuming because we don't want to overpay for him.

I don't think he will command a price the Giants couldn't swallow. He is a starting veteran of many years and has played pretty good overall and at a high level these past couple games. I do agree with replacing Butler but Johnson (43) has made some good plays....I still think that pass interference against him when covering Driver was bullshit....and I personally haven't seen that many mistakes. Some say he bites on play action but I haven't seen it....but will be looking.

I'm a Fin fan and even I know that Butler needs to go. That's the reason, because its such a weak safety class. Gibril is easily one of the top 3 available, will command more money. Supply and demand my friend, supply and demand.

Last season- limited supply of linemen- Steinbeck, Dielman, and Dockery all got 49 million dollar contracts. And while we can all agree O-lineman are crucial to any team, that price is absurd.

Because he will be one of the few good safety available. To be honest there is a very good chance Wilson will be paid big bucks somewhere else.

but with a weak Saftey market we should cover any offer that comes Wilson's way

Do you wan to go into next year with virtualy 2 Rookie Safeties and James Butler?????? I think not

exactly. 2 words- Adam Archuleta

but with a weak Saftey market we should cover any offer that comes Wilson's way

Do you wan to go into next year with virtualy 2 Rookie Safeties and James Butler?????? I think not

can't always have what you want

Well I believe we do have flexibility under the cap. Kind of the curse of success. With the team doing so well, everyone who can will want to parlay that success into $$$. I think re-signing Gibril will be a top priority, over re-signing Mitchell. I like Mitchell a lot, and if we can afford him, by all means we need to keep him. But we do have the draft, we've been drafting really well. Kiwi is coming back, and no matter what, we have a great core of defensive players, even more so if Strahan returns. Part of me thinks that if we win the big one Stra will hang 'em up, though. I'm excited about the future of this team. So many of the young guys have shown great ability. I think Webster has turned the "Corner" so to speak and disagree with Lubeck. If Madison is not a FA, we let him play the nickel, Ross and Web are starting caliber now. We keep McQuarters for depth and dime package and also because he has been a very valuable kick returner. I'm torn about WR. Toomer has played great but he is over the hill! I very much value Malcolm Kelly from Oklahoma. This guy I think is going to be a superstar and I want the Giants to get him so that he's the heir apparent to Toomer. Smith has been great but would like to keep him in the slot. So much to look forward to with this team!

Anybody have a list of upcoming Giant FAs?

exactly. 2 words- Adam Archuleta

can't always have what you want

we have plenty of cap room you don't think some one would shell out $80 mill for him like the 49ers did for clements?

any way Wilson won't be in a fish suit.

if Aquib Talib is there, he's your man. I don't know if he'd fall that far, but I'd love if Miami got him with the 32 pick

Yuph, it would be great if we could pick him up.. but I doubt he is going to fall that far down. <_<

Well I believe we do have flexibility under the cap. Kind of the curse of success. With the team doing so well, everyone who can will want to parlay that success into $$. I think re-signing Gibril will be a top priority, over re-signing Mitchell. I like Mitchell a lot, and if we can afford him, by all means we need to keep him. But we do have the draft, we've been drafting really well. Kiwi is coming back, and no matter what, we have a great core of defensive players, even more so if Strahan returns. Part of me thinks that if we win the big one Stra will hang 'em up, though. I'm excited about the future of this team. So many of the young guys have shown great ability. I think Webster has turned the "Corner" so to speak and disagree with Lubeck. If Madison is not a FA, we let him play the nickel, Ross and Web are starting caliber now. We keep McQuarters for depth and dime package and also because he has been a very valuable kick returner. I'm torn about WR. Toomer has played great but he is over the hill! I very much value Malcolm Kelly from Oklahoma. This guy I think is going to be a superstar and I want the Giants to get him so that he's the heir apparent to Toomer. Smith has been great but would like to keep him in the slot. So much to look forward to with this team!

Anybody have a list of upcoming Giant FAs?

:LMAO:

Umm, no thanks. he's a 2nd rounder at best. Depending how fast he runs his 40 time. He'll most likely be coverted to SS. Dude is like 5'11, 215 LBs... No way in hell will he play LB in the NFL.

Could be another Vilma in the making.. :ph34r: