SportsWrath

Coughlin to get an extension

so-cal dub

---link---

TAMPA - Up in the press box, John Mara waited for the replay official to rule that cornerback R.W. McQuarters had intercepted a last-ditch bomb from Jeff Garcia along the right sideline. It had been a delicate tip-toe job by McQuarters, but now it set off a fist-pumping, stomping celebration from the usually staid Mara.

Mara had his playoff victory, 24-14, the first playoff win for the Giants in seven long years, the first for Tom Coughlin in eight. Monkeys had been excised from backs, right there inside Raymond James Stadium. And it was time, maybe, to announce what has become inevitable: Coughlin will be back with a contract extension next season.

"If I told you, everybody else would be upset," Mara said, smiling, heading to the elevator and the locker room. "You'll just have to wait with the others."

The implication is clear, from the top: Coughlin will be rewarded very soon with a multiyear pact, because he has already surprised a great number of experts and even his own ownership, with his best coaching job since Jacksonville. He will return, in part because he finally won a big one.

Mara admitted his own doubts about the situation, retroactively. His expectations were not exactly soaring for 2007, reaching new lows back in September.

"After the second game, and then at halftime at FedEx Field (in Week 3), I wasn't feeling so good," Mara said. "If you told me then we'd win 10 games and then a first-round playoff game, I'd have been surprised."

But the Giants have done just that, and you can't change the rules on Coughlin at this late stage. He gets his reward.

Yes, the schedule was easy in a lousy conference. Yes, they were fortunate to pull out some tight games. Their playoff draw is favorable, too. Still, it should be remembered that many people were quite certain of the Giants' demise last summer, arguing they had done little to improve their roster or their chances. The arrow was pointing down and the concept of rebuilding did not just apply to the new stadium in the parking lot.

Instead, what we saw on the field Sunday against the Buccaneers was a Giants team demonstrating full, fluid progress on both sides of the ball. Eli Manning played within himself, completing 20 of 27 passes without a turnover. The Giants gained a solid 100 yards rushing. The defensive line applied the usual pressure, while the secondary was stronger than expected.

These Giants aren't New England, but then, nobody else is, either. They have pluck and resilience. When they started slowly yesterday, as they had in September, they didn't lose purpose. They didn't commit dumb penalties. They ran the right plays at the right time.

My one problem with Coughlin is that he's a bit too "married" to his assistants. Huff shoulda been canned by midseason last year, and I'm afraid we'll be stuck with Gilbride for at least another season.

That being said, you can't argue with the results. These Giants teams are sometimes outplayed, but they're always prepared.

After winning in the playoffs Gilbride isn't going anywhere. Should we win against the Boys, he'll have a couple years worth of leash too.

How about some props for our QB coach. I don't think Eli's totally turned around and he could turn around and let us all down, but at least for a number of games he's been better. have to say something clicked and it hadn't prior to....

After winning in the playoffs Gilbride isn't going anywhere. Should we win against the Boys, he'll have a couple years worth of leash too.

How about some props for our QB coach. I don't think Eli's totally turned around and he could turn around and let us all down, but at least for a number of games he's been better. have to say something clicked and it hadn't prior to....

Wasn't this why Gilbride was promoted? At the end of last season something clicked for Eli and then as usual this mid-season something un-clicked.

I don't think one playoff win saves his ass, he's got about 14 games worth of explaining to do.