SportsWrath

Time for a Guarantee?

Sephiroth

Remember, it was just six years ago... the Giants had just had their asses handed to them by an NFC Central team (the Lions), an inferior team who had mustered up a win through special teams and from poor throws by the Giants beleagured QB. The team plunged to 7-4... the media pounced on the players, the coach was in disarray... clearly he was out after this year.

Sound familiar?

Then came "The Guarantee."

The Giants rode that famous guarantee by Fassel all the way to a 12-4 record, never losing the rest of the way until the Super Bowl. This Giants team clearly has a fragile psyche; do they need something as monumental as "The Guarantee" to get them over the hump this season?

I mean, the parallels are unmistakable. Coach on the hot seat. 7-4 record. Loss due to special teams and bad QB play. Hell, Eli even has that same semi-retarded look Kerry Collins used to have. What do you guys think?

funny coincidence while we're on this subject:

in my money league i was 1-2 and during all the shit talking i was lumped into a group of teams labeled 'bottom feeders' who were out of playoff contention, so i made a post guarenteeing i'd make the playoffs and i even cheesed it up by using fassel's 'pushing chips to the middle' quote. well i proceeded to win 7 in a row and clinched the playoffs with my 7th win. too bad im not going anywhere as long as jacobs and larry johnson remain injured :brooding:

The only guanantee I want is that we'll have a new OC next season.

Well that will make a 3rd OC that the Giants will spend no money on. This has to be my biggest beef with the Giants. Why is it that other teams get great OCs or DCs and the Giants always seem to get no names?

OC has little to do with it. It's still TCs playbook that they have to call the plays from. It's the playbook that needs to be revamped and TC must realize this, or he be shit canned.

I don't know. I don't think there's much wrong with the plays, just the timing of which they are called.

Direct snap on 3rd and 3 on our own 23. Time and time again a shotgun draw when everyone and their dick knows it's coming. But I guess you do have to hold Coughlin responsible as well since he let's it happen again and again.

OC has little to do with it. It's still TCs playbook that they have to call the plays from. It's the playbook that needs to be revamped and TC must realize this, or he be shit canned.

Still, when was the last time a DC or OC was taken from the Giants to become a coach? Fox? I am not a Redskin fan but at least Synder spends big to get coaching talent. The Giants must be making big money (always sold out) so why aren't they dropping big money to get a great OC (which as far as know takes no cap hit) for all that money tied up in Eli? I think Spags will be good but the Giants need to get a good talent and pay big for a OC this off season. Maybe then Eli may turn into something special.

i agree with echo, it'd be one thing if this was his first OC but it isn't. we're still bitching about the same things with both OC's: playcalling. coughlin is involved in the gameplanning and im sure he has some kind of final say on the plays that can be called. this is a big reason why i won't give up on eli becoming a great qb, i'd like to see how he performs in a different system with a new coach before i determine that he's a bust/average/etc

Still, when was the last time a DC or OC was taken from the Giants to become a coach? Fox? I am not a Redskin fan but at least Synder spends big to get coaching talent. The Giants must be making big money (always sold out) so why aren't they dropping big money to get a great OC (which as far as know takes no cap hit) for all that money tied up in Eli? I think Spags will be good but the Giants need to get a good talent and pay big for a OC this off season. Maybe then Eli may turn into something special.

cuz our franchise has always been cheap unless they are paying their own players--the only exception i can think of off the top of my head is kareem mckenzie and maybe kenny holmes if you consider his contract to be a big one. plax was considered a huge splash in the free agent market (for us) and he only got 24 mil or so right? i think we've taken the wrong approach when drafting defensive players. IMO drafting a 1st round linebacker carries way less risk than drafting a 1st round cb, so i'd rather draft lienbackers and shell out the big bucks for a proven cb. as happy as i've been with aaron ross a lot of it is the fact that he isn't a total bust and is showing flashes, but that doesn't mean he'll necessarily ever be more than a decent cb

and i honestly think our playbook sucks. it took coughlin 3 years and a big injury to burress to finally get shockey involved as a primary weapon in our offense. shotgun draw or screen to ward on 3rd and long? how many times have we seen that crap? there was a lot of times during the first few games where i would hold my breath during a play only to see burress make some sick catch and bail out the playcall. now that he's not doing this our playcalling has become way more exposed and i dont think that's a coincidence.

truthfully, i hope we pull out of this and coughlin makes the necessary midseason adjustments--and i dont think firing the OC and replacing him with someone else on the staff will cut it. this season was the first since i've been a fan where i had absolutely no expectations coming into training camp, i never want to feel that way about this team again

cuz our franchise has always been cheap unless they are paying their own players--the only exception i can think of off the top of my head is kareem mckenzie and maybe kenny holmes if you consider his contract to be a big one. plax was considered a huge splash in the free agent market (for us) and he only got 24 mil or so right? i think we've taken the wrong approach when drafting defensive players. IMO drafting a 1st round linebacker carries way less risk than drafting a 1st round cb, so i'd rather draft lienbackers and shell out the big bucks for a proven cb. as happy as i've been with aaron ross a lot of it is the fact that he isn't a total bust and is showing flashes, but that doesn't mean he'll necessarily ever be more than a decent cb

Agree 100%. An LB's skill/talent level is much more tangible, measurable and transferable from the college to pro ranks. Whereas with a DB there are so many other factors that come into play that measuring value and talent level is more of a crap shoot in my opinion.

i mean i dont even watch college football, but just from reading, looking at past rookie linebackers, etc i knew patrick willis was more of a sure thing than revis, hall, ross, etc. if you're going to take a risk on a cb i'd rather it be a big financial risk on a proven cb than pay half that amont to a first round cb who you have no idea what you are getting.

he was decent (at best) for us too, he's never really played like a 1st round cb though, and IMO peterson was better than him when healthy

I agree. I'm sure we had this discussion at the time, but I don't think we upgraded with Madison & McQuarters. Cap-wise it was a decent move though.

I agree. I'm sure we had this discussion at the time, but I don't think we upgraded with Madison & McQuarters. Cap-wise it was a decent move though.

yeah i agree, i hoped for the best with madison but knew there was a reason why miami didn't hold onto him.