SportsWrath

Osi may have another sack-a-thon

Lughead

Giants Receive Gift from Falcons

By Sean Carroll | October 10th, 2007

E-mail | Print | Share

Today it was announced that Wayne Gandy, the Falcons starting Left Tackle will likely be out for the rest of the season due to a torn ACL. While injury is never a thing to celebrate about, it is by far worth mentioning that the struggling Atlanta Falcons will be placing a backup LT against a Defensive End who only two weeks ago racked up a superb six sacks against "the great McNabb."

What's more?

In addition to that, the Falcons are also shy their starting Right Tackle (hat tip, Vacchiano for remembering that one). Now things are looking interesting. With a defensive line playing well in tandem with a momentum swing and the bright lights of Monday Night Football, Osi and Strahan must already be circling.

This begs the question, who will get the help? Either way, I foresee a nice night for Strahan, Umenyiora, Tuck and Kiwanuka.

Speaking of Strahan, I thought it about time to take a temperature reading on our Pro-Bowl Defensive End. Thus far Strahan has 13 solo tackles, 1 sack and 1 pass defended. A far cry from the days of old when #92 was making more pancakes than IHOP, but it seems he's still more than capable of causing havoc on the gridiron.

What is interesting are some of the excerpts from his newly released book, Inside the Helmet, where he discusses his thoughts on Coughlin. Naturally there were comments about his initial distaste for the old school coach, but what caught my eye was his take on Coughlin at present:

"I can tell you, (after) my first meeting (with Coughlin) I went home and said 'I'm going to enjoy this year. I'm not going to play for him next year. I hate him.' And now I can see myself definitely ending my career with him as a coach. And I never would have thought that before."

Perhaps I am just instinctually opposed to change, but with the very strong chance of Coughlin receiving his walking papers at the end of the season, does this mean Strahan will follow suit? It would be a shame to lose a team leader, despite his average performance, because of a coaching change.

Later in the article Strahan also mentioned his ability to play more football following this year, hopefully without a holdout this time. Maybe…say…John Fox, Bill Cowher or Charlie Weiss could re-up Strahan's fading lust for the game? Time will tell.

Are you kidding me? IF we continue this roll we're on and have a good season, there shouldnt even be any questions about Coughlin staying! Assuming we get to the playoffs, that's what, 3 years in a row? Granted, we didnt reach potential his other times, BUT, you can't let a coach go that's been developing your core group of players for the last 4 years. We'd end up like the Chargers...

Drew Bledsoe and Tony Romo disagree

That was one game. The Giants' record on Monday NIghts is 16-29-1. Don't get me wrong, I want the Gaints to completely dominate the Falcons, but the Falcons usually seem to beat the Giants when on paper they are clearly outmatched, and their record on Mondays speaks for itself. Not a very good combination.

That was one game. The Giants' record on Monday NIghts is 16-29-1. Don't get me wrong, I want the Gaints to completely dominate the Falcons, but the Falcons usually seem to beat the Giants when on paper they are clearly outmatched, and their record on Mondays speaks for itself. Not a very good combination.

How about this tidbit of info?

In the Giants-Falcons series, the road team has won 11 straight times.

Have no fear !