SportsWrath

Culpepper available.

Sephiroth

IF he would agree to being a backup and IF he comes for relatively cheap, would you be willing to go after him?

I'd have to say yes. Good insurance should Eli not step it up, and is a much better QB than any of the backups we have on the roster. The knee injury is bad, but has more upside should he make a full recovery.

Plus, with no Petitgout or Barber, I have a feeling Eli is gonna take a LOT more hits this year than last.

So... everyone outside of Tree thinks Hasselbeck, Wright, and Lorenzen are better QBs than Culpepper?

That's why I am with you on this one. The Giants have scrubs as backups and they aren't going to make Eli sweat. The Giants need somebody to light the fire under Eli like Dayne did to Barber. Eli needs to start working for his job like all the other positions.

Some of you guys are unbelievable. Moss made Culpepper??. That's an interesting theory because when I say here that Plax and Shockey have saved Eli's butt several times when he overthrows them, some people here dismiss it because well, you just can't talk that way about Eli can you?. Yet Moss made Culpepper. The same Moss that takes every second play off and by the way, one guy that ever stood up to Moss on the Vikings....was Culpepper.

Sure he didn't meet the hype, but if this guy was willing to take a backup role, you'd have to consider it. The fact is that the backup QB situation at the Giants right now is a joke, and we are one injury to Eli from going to the basement. I'd rather have a guy who's played some big games and has some experience than the band of misfits we have backing up Eli.

Lorenzen is a fat load at 270 pounds, Hasselback was a backup at best in DC, Wright has never succeeded. Yet somehow all 3 of these guys are better than Culpepper?. Hell they're not even better than Joey Harrington (Falcons new starting QB!). The Giants would be fools not to explore every option out there. Culpepper is an option.

Uh.....yeah.

Well, that's not entirely true...Culpepper did have Chris Carter to throw to as well for his first three seasons. And Moss had the legendary Andrew Walter throwing to him from behind that vaunted Raider Oline last season, so there's really no excuse for him not to get 1,000 yards in 13 games.

Seriously Booyah, do you really think this guy would be an asset with his salary; his inability to play well since the injury, and what would inevitably would be a QB controversy after the Giants have their first loss?

Realistically, the media would be going apeshit. They're already discussing Coughlin's replacement before the team even assembles in Albany.

IF he would agree to being a backup and IF he comes for relatively cheap, would you be willing to go after him?

I'd have to say yes. Good insurance should Eli not step it up, and is a much better QB than any of the backups we have on the roster. The knee injury is bad, but has more upside should he make a full recovery.

Plus, with no Petitgout or Barber, I have a feeling Eli is gonna take a LOT more hits this year than last.

Nope...I'll pass. I would not want a 'broken' QB on the roster that signs a two year deal that would spend his 1st yr on 'the Physically unable to perform list' and the next year after Culpepper looking for another deal with another team. Back to square one, Wright isn't gonna lite fires under Eli but he (nor any QB) should hafta 'lite fires' under Eli. Who lights a fire under Brett Farve when he struggles? Who lit a fire under Tony Romo when he struggled? Getting a Culpepper would make these guys play better (including Eli?). I dunno??

Nope...I'll pass. I would not want a 'broken' QB on the roster that signs a two year deal that would spend his 1st yr on 'the Physically unable to perform list' and the next year after Culpepper looking for another deal with another team. Back to square one, Wright isn't gonna lite fires under Eli but he (nor any QB) should hafta 'lite fires' under Eli. Who lights a fire under Brett Farve when he struggles? Who lit a fire under Tony Romo when he struggled? Getting a Culpepper would make these guys play better (including Eli?). I dunno??

Every position needs pressure and right now Eli has no pressure. Maybe Culpepper isn't Peyton but he can at least give Eli some drive to try that much harder. If he comes with a manageable salary then he is better than the three clearly bench warmers that the Giants have now. This all hypothetical because who really knows how bad his knee is or if he will want much more money than he deserves. But if he can pass a physical and comes at good price than take him and cut those scrub QBs. Maybe it's a gamble but a gamble is better than knowing the backups aren't going to be helping if Eli has to miss some games.

the last time we had a good enough qb to 'light a fire' under our starter he played like a bitch and took sacks instead of throwing the ball cuz he didn't want to turn the ball over and lose his job. i've erased his name from my memory but his wife looks like alice from the brady bunch

Well, that's not entirely true...Culpepper did have Chris Carter to throw to as well for his first three seasons. And Moss had the legendary Andrew Walter throwing to him from behind that vaunted Raider Oline last season, so there's really no excuse for him not to get 1,000 yards in 13 games.

Seriously Booyah, do you really think this guy would be an asset with his salary; his inability to play well since the injury, and what would inevitably would be a QB controversy after the Giants have their first loss?

Realistically, the media would be going apeshit. They're already discussing Coughlin's replacement before the team even assembles in Albany.

Fish, do I think he'd be an asset, maybe not, but do you think that any of the 3 backups we have right now are "assets"?. He's not going to be signed by anyone for big money, so I don't see him as much of a liability.

As for the media going apeshit, sorry but it's been going on long before training camp, it's been going on since mid season last year. It was heightened when Cowher quit and again when Jerry reese took over. If you think about it, maybe a little qb controversy wouldn't be so bad.

This whole thing with "well he had all these amazing receivers who caught everything he threw so he owes it all to them" is to me a cop out. Joe Montana had John taylor and Jerry Rice, Marino had the Marks, Steve Young had Rice and Owens. Couldn't the same theory be used for those guys as it is Culpepper?.

By the way, forget Walter, Moss dogged it with the raiders, simply dogged it, it wouldn't matter who was QB, he simply looked around at his bad team and said " I don't give a fuck". that's too obvious.

the last time we had a good enough qb to 'light a fire' under our starter he played like a bitch and took sacks instead of throwing the ball cuz he didn't want to turn the ball over and lose his job. i've erased his name from my memory but his wife looks like alice from the brady bunch

And we lost every game bar one the rest of the way. Say what you want about "whatshisface", the team had a winning record when he was qb. In my opinion, that season was the sickest I've ever been as a Giant fan, becuase they simply folded the tent and quit once Eli took over. As for "whathisface", he was brought in to be the temporary starter, for one year at least, he wasn't brought in to light a fire under Eli.

i know he wasn't brought in to light a fire under eli, i was talking about eli and referred to him 'good enough to light a fire' under the current starter.

warner's play as a giant is indefensible, they had a winning record in spite of him

Joe Montana had John taylor and Jerry Rice, Marino had the Marks, Steve Young had Rice and Owens. Couldn't the same theory be used for those guys as it is Culpepper?.

I think to put Culpepper's name with 3 hall of famers is pretty

silly.

Every position needs pressure and right now Eli has no pressure. Maybe Culpepper isn't Peyton but he can at least give Eli some drive to try that much harder. If he comes with a manageable salary then he is better than the three clearly bench warmers that the Giants have now. This all hypothetical because who really knows how bad his knee is or if he will want much more money than he deserves. But if he can pass a physical and comes at good price than take him and cut those scrub QBs. Maybe it's a gamble but a gamble is better than knowing the backups aren't going to be helping if Eli has to miss some games.

And I tend to agree BUT does anybody really think that Culpepper is a real threat to Eli's 'job'? I would also repeat...or ask again...does Rothlisberger have 'pressure' on him this year from a backup? Does Carson Palmer have 'pressure' on him from his backup? I for one believe the QB position should be as follows: A SOLID #1 QB (if your team believes in you), and role QB's that KNOW that they are back ups. Culpepper pops off as a 'should be starter' (see Miami when rumors were floating around about Trent Green). Why would you want a Culpepper on the Giants (at ANY price) popping of like he wants to start? That tears down the foundation of the QB situation and splits lockerrooms IMO.

I think to put Culpepper's name with 3 hall of famers is pretty

silly.

How is it silly? We have people on here saying that without Randy Moss and Fish mentioned Chris carter, that Culpepper was no good without them. But those QB's had great wide receivers also surrounding them too and nobody is taking anything away from them are they?. Doesn't matter if they are HOF qb's.

In no way am I saying he's on there level and seriously you should realize that.

i know he wasn't brought in to light a fire under eli, i was talking about eli and referred to him 'good enough to light a fire' under the current starter.

warner's play as a giant is indefensible, they had a winning record in spite of him

Warner didn't play all that badly in a few games Midas. And their record after he was demoted was terrible, so if they won in spite of him how come they couldn't win without him?. He's not a saviour, I'm not saying that, but fact is we had a winning record with him on board. There was no good reason to make that switch until we were out of the running.