SportsWrath

Homework Assignment

NeMesiS

I was thinking, since free agency and the draft is coming soon. We should come up with some type of position evaluation. Some sort of 'top 10' list of player per position for the draft and free agency.

Not my thing. I'm not qualified. I know shit about college football. And I know who the top FA from ESPN. The way I see it, get Clements and Samuel then think draft.

I can't make an assessment on the draft until I see what we do in free agency, but I can give a FA wishlist.

1. Asante Samuel CB NE Patriots - honestly I believe that it's a tossup between he and Clements, but he wins IMHO due to the fact that he's two years younger.

2. Nate Clements CB Buffalo Bills - Take him if we can't get Samuel cause I doubt we'll be able to get them both (I wanted him instead of Will Allen, but things don't always go the way we want them to).

3. Lance Briggs OLB Chicago Bears - for some reason I don't see him leaving Chicago, but if he does we better make an offer

4. Adalius Thomas OLB Baltimore Ravens - backup plan if Briggs stays in Chicago or decides to go elsewhere

5. Drew Bennett WR Tennessee Titans - Tim Carter needs to go and eventhough Toomer will be coming back, there's no way to know if he'll be the same after an injury this serious and this late in his career. I think that this is the best WR option available due to the fact that Stallworth won't be leaving Philly. Kevin Curtis (WR St. Louis Rams) is another option but I haven't seen enough of him to know how good he is.

6. Terdell Sands DT Oakland Raiders - Although Fred Robbins did a great job this past season the Defensive Line still had issues getting constant pressure on the QB and stopping those huge runs up the middle. Granted he hasn't had much playing time, but at 6'7" 335LBs this guy is a freakin monster. Wouldn't overpay for him as he's still a bit of an unknown to me.

That's all for me.

If its all we do this off season as far FA's, we might be able to pull it off. But I'd really like to bring in a top 5 LBer though.

Well, I'd love to have either of the CB's, but I'd really like to have Briggs. With the pressure we could get with our front 7, all the pressure won't be on the secondary. I just hope Briggs isn't a product of playing next to urlacher

Why not? We're saving a ton of money from Barber and Emmons alone.

With Emmons out of the lineup, even if we don't land a big name FA LB to take his place how worse off would we be if Wilkinson or Short played in his place?

IMHO, cut Emmons, if you can't get a LB like Briggs or Thomas in FA then let them battle it out in camp. CB is a spot where we have had absolutley no luck in drafting players so devote your attention there during FA & fill the DT & LB holes during the draft.

Why not? We're saving a ton of money from Barber and Emmons alone.

Because those guys are asking for 10 Mil a years. That's 20 Mil a year against the cap on 2 players, plus bonuses. Its Salary cap suicide. I don't think we can afford one, let alone 2.

Just some info on the risers and fallers during this weeks Senior Bowl

By Tony Pauline, Special to SI.com

MOBILE, Ala. -- -- The practices are finished and NFL scouts, coaches and general managers are long gone. All that's left is to play the game. Yet even before the ball is officially kicked off, the script on which players came out of the '07 Senior Bowl as winners or losers has already been written.

Ten Prospects Who Exceeded Expectations

1. Amobi Okoye/DL/Louisville: Okoye was the talk of the town this week. Weighing in at a chiseled 287-pounds, he displayed tremendous quickness and athleticism from the first practice. Okoye, a bright and articulate 19-year-old, also interviewed well for the teams that spent time with him.

2. Adam Carriker/DL/Nebraska: Another front four player who was tough to block, Carriker elevated his draft stock significantly. Displaying a combination of strength and intelligence, he also came across well during interviews.

3. Dwayne Bowe/WR/LSU: The big pass catcher separated himself from the rest of the group and distinguished himself as the top senior receiver in the country.

4. David Irons/CB/Auburn: Irons capitalized on a terrific senior campaign with a great showing in Mobile. He was consistently applauded by coaches for his cover skills, hard work and ability to learn new defensive systems.

5. Michael Griffin/S/Texas: Displaying an array of talent in centerfield, Griffin made an impact every day at practice. His ball skills in coverage were outstanding as was his play defending the run.

6. Brandon Mebane/DT/California: The stout defensive tackle was unblockable for most of the week. Displaying tremendous quickness, he showed pass rush moves scouts were not aware he had.

7. Ryan Kalil/C/USC: The Trojan blocker looked great on the pivot. Holding his own against bigger opponents, he showed a lot of unexpected skill blocking in motion.

8. Aundrae Allison/WR/East Carolina: Allison impressed scouts from the first day he stepped on the field. Catching everything thrown in his directions, he also got deep behind defenders with consistency.

9. Mason Crosby/PK/Colorado: Crosby regularly put his field goals through the uprights from 50-yards or longer with plenty of room to spare.

10. Antonio Johnson/DT/Mississippi State: The big tackle showed-off his athleticism all week. More impressively, he consistently made plays up the field, something that was lacking in his college career.

Five Prospects Who Failed to Meet Expectations

1. Ryan Harris/OL/Notre Dame: Continuing what was a poor senior season, Harris was beaten regularly in Mobile. At one point he was chastised by Jon Gruden for allowing a sack on Thursday.

2. Marcus McCauley/CB/Fresno State: Another who struggled in '06, McCauley was beaten with regularity all week. His performance during Thursday's no pads practice was not good.

3. Patrick Willis/MLB/Mississippi: Willis gave good effort all week and looked strong in the box. Problem was he struggled making plays out to the sidelines or in reverse. He does not resemble the first-round talent many have pinned him to be.

4. Quentin Moses/DE/Georgia: The Bulldogs pass rusher checked in much lighter than expected at 249 pounds and was handled all week by blockers. During interviews, Moses did not come off as a confident individual.

5. Troy Smith/QB/Ohio State: While Smith was accurate with his short and intermediate passes, his long throws were off. Smith did not display the ability to drive the deep pass and was rarely on the mark downfield.

Senior Bowl Notes: NFL scouts are not enamored with the overall talent of this year's senior class but they were reasonably happy with the players on hand in Mobile. This years group could match the number of first-round picks which came out of last year's game; 14. The Senior Bowl is the place where the unemployed and underclassmen come to look for job interviews. Larry Coker, the recently released coach from the Miami Hurricanes, was at practice all week hoping to catch on with an NFL team. Florida Gator defensive back Reggie Nelson, who declared for the draft soon after the national title game, interviewed with several teams right through Wednesday.

Because those guys are asking for 10 Mil a years. That's 20 Mil a year against the cap on 2 players, plus bonuses. Its Salary cap suicide. I don't think we can afford one, let alone 2.

10 Mill a year is way too much. Sorry. I'm not willing to pay either one of them that much. Doesn't Strahan make 8 Mil?

10 Mill a year is way too much. Sorry. I'm not willing to pay either one of them that much. Doesn't Strahan make 8 Mil?

Even if it's only 8, $16 million per year for two guys is too much.

BTW, the last guy that I remember making $10 million per year at CB was Charles Woodson.

Well, that's what they want...Champ Bailey money. And get this...They want most of the money upfront, instead on the tail end of the contract. So instead of it being 10 per year. Its really going to be 14 Mil for the first 3-5 years, plus bonus. That's why I think we can't either of them. I just hope Briggs isn't looking to break the bank either.

Even if it's only 8, $16 million per year for two guys is too much.

BTW, the last guy that I remember making $10 million per year at CB was Charles Woodson.

Well, if he's getting that much money he is robbing that team.

Briggs would be a welcome addition, we can then get rid of the perennial bum Carlos Emmons and then let that Spagnoulo do his thing with the linebackers. Arrington - Have no idea if he will ever be good. he was a beast in that Dallas game and the mofo immediately went down.

For some reason, I think we suck at drafting secondary. We havent had a decent CB in a very long time. Webster is slowly showing shades of fallling under the 'Bums' category. I hope I am wrong though. I think we should go for Samuel. He might come a little cheaper than Clements.

Briggs would be a welcome addition, we can then get rid of the perennial bum Carlos Emmons and then let that Spagnoulo do his thing with the linebackers. Arrington - Have no idea if he will ever be good. he was a beast in that Dallas game and the mofo immediately went down.

For some reason, I think we suck at drafting secondary. We havent had a decent CB in a very long time. Webster is slowly showing shades of fallling under the 'Bums' category. I hope I am wrong though. I think we should go for Samuel. He might come a little cheaper than Clements.

Brigg is going to asking for a 6 mil per year contract. Plus Clement and Samuel are asking for 10 each...I don't see it happening.