SportsWrath

Giants Reported To Be In Serious Discussions With Sam Madison

gateb

Guest Lockhart
He is old and would only be worth a one year deal. I'd prefer a younger CB like Ricky Manning Jr who could be a part of this team for years to come. The only vet CB I would immediately want (if cut) would be Ronde Barber.

Ricky Manning Jr. is about 5'7" - forget him. Looks like EA is trying to replace Barrett Green with another aging veteran ready for the trainer's table.

He is old and would only be worth a one year deal. I'd prefer a younger CB like Ricky Manning Jr who could be a part of this team for years to come. The only vet CB I would immediately want (if cut) would be Ronde Barber.

That's my thoughts exactly regarding the possibility of signing a veteran CB. If we sign Ronde for 3 years, we're almost guaranteed Tiki sticks around that long.

I like the movement towards younger players too, but a good point was made about Manning Jr's height.

Guest Nutty Sack

There is much better value out there at DT. With the Giants having few dollars to spend EA better funnel all resources to get some studs to replace the duds we have up the middle. Why does it always seem so simple to us yet EA keeps hanging arouns the nursing homes and infirmaries looking for free agents.

Guest Lockhart
That's my thoughts exactly regarding the possibility of signing a veteran CB. If we sign Ronde for 3 years, we're almost guaranteed Tiki sticks around that long.

I like the movement towards younger players too, but a good point was made about Manning Jr's height.

Tiki is over 30 and could turn into a mushrom at any time. Curtis Martin won the rushing title in 2004, then came out and played like "Marvin the Martian" in 2005. The giants may not even want him after 2006.

Marvin-01.jpg

(Curtis Martin in 2005 after another 2 yard carry)

I'm not saying Manning would be a star CB for us but could be an adequate starter for this year because we're probably going to draft a CB on day one. He won't cost us a fortune and can get the job done until the rookie is ready to step in.

Tiki is over 30 and could turn into a mushrom at any time. Curtis Martin won the rushing title in 2004, then came out and played like "Marvin the Martian" in 2005. The giants may not even want him after 2006.

Marvin-01.jpg

(Curtis Martin in 2005 after another 2 yard carry)

Thanks for The Answers

There is much better value out there at DT. With the Giants having few dollars to spend EA better funnel all resources to get some studs to replace the duds we have up the middle. Why does it always seem so simple to us yet EA keeps hanging arouns the nursing homes and infirmaries looking for free agents.

I agree with the general principle of this post. Unless the cap goes up by 10 million or so, I would rather use our cap space to sign 1 impact player as opposed to 2-3 decent filler guys. For example, if we have about 6 mill in cap space, Id rather see us sign 1 guy for 4-5 mill than 2 guys at 2 mill.

I think signing a CB in FA is a necessity. So I would go with the best available. If it doesnt look like there is good value at the CB position, I think a DT is next on the FA list. My wish list of DT's goes something like this:

Rocky Bernard, Triplett, Kemoeatu, Glover. The only reason that I put Glover last is because of his age. Without getting a CB in FA this year, I dont think the Giants have a realistic shot at a SB this year so I'd like to get a guy who can contribute for a few years.

If the salary cap gets increased by 10 million (which would be a good thing because it means we have an agreement) we need to put most of our money towards a CB AND DT. Everything after that is gravy (WR is probably next).

The Giants need an experienced player for the corner position. Madison fits the bill and won't cost a whole lot. This is exactly the type of move the Giants should persue. Madison and Corey Webster as the starters with Deloatch and Peterson backing them up would be good. Bringing Madison in though pretty much ensures that we won't be drafting a corner in the first round.

The Giants need an experienced player for the corner position. Madison fits the bill and won't cost a whole lot. This is exactly the type of move the Giants should persue. Madison and Corey Webster as the starters with Deloatch and Peterson backing them up would be good. Bringing Madison in though pretty much ensures that we won't be drafting a corner in the first round.

Even if we sign a CB we will still draft one in round 2 or 3. That CB should also compete for the nickel/backup jobs. I think LB round 1 is a lock if we sign CB.

Even if we sign a CB we will still draft one in round 2 or 3. That CB should also compete for the nickel/backup jobs. I think LB round 1 is a lock if we sign CB.

I agree, they need to pick up a corner in the 2nd or 3rd. regardless of whether madison signs or not, the Giants have to go with experience in the corner.

I've got the Giants going LB, DT, CB in rounds 1-3.

For the LBer in round 1, I'm thinking Ernie Sims, DeMeco Ryans, or Bobby Carpenter.

For DT in round 2, I'm looking at Claude Wroten or Roderique Wright.

For CB in round 3, I'm thinking Anwar Phillips or Will Blackmon.

And in case you're curious, I'd go WR in round 4 with Cory Rodgers, Devin Aromashodu, or Brandon Marshall.

I've also got the Giants signing a veteran CB (Will Allen, Ronde Barber, Ricky Manning Jr, Ike Taylor, or apparently Sam Madison).

I've also got the Giants getting an OLB via free agency (Will Witherspoon, Lavar Arrington, Julian Peterson, Cato June).

I've also got the Giants finding a free agent safety (Cory Chavous, Adam Archuleta, or Chris Hope).

Chances are we get another backup QB to replace either Lorenzen or Hasselbeck, but that move won't be major I don't think. I would not be opposed to having both these guys back.

I'm not saying Manning would be a star CB for us but could be an adequate starter for this year because we're probably going to draft a CB on day one. He won't cost us a fortune and can get the job done until the rookie is ready to step in.

Ricky Manning is an RFA. He's not going anywhere this year...

I'm a little leary of Madison's age and ROnde isn't all that much younger is he?

I also prefer experience at CB, but we need someone in his 2nd contact not his 3rd.

I worry about keeping up with speed.

Madison will be 32 by the start of the season. Ronde will be 31.

As it stands, assuming Allen walks and Peterson isn't healthy, the Giants top three CBs are Webster, Deloatch, and Walker. The Giants have a chance to add a veteran CB (who can still play) with 5 Pro Bowls on his resume as a short-term stop-gap. I don't understand why anyone would be against this move ... there aren't many better alternatives.

Also, both Webster and Madison are press CBs who work best in bump-and-run coverage. On a team with DEs like Strahan and Osi, CBs with those skills are very useful.

What do you guys think? I would love to have him and then draft a CB with our first rounder.

Sam Madison would work out well for our needs. Experienced corner with a reasonable price tag. He was inconsistent at times this season while trying to adjust to the new defensive schemes but at the end of the season really started to play like a probowler. Although Madison didnt go to the probowl, he was a first alternate. I would like to have him in Blue, he would be an excellent mentor to the younger players.