SportsWrath

Well its officially official

Lughead

Going back to Rozelle and Tagliabue and now Goodell the league has always urged their owners to not do things that will take away from the games during the playoffs, hirings and firings for example and not announce things and changes particualrly on weekends of other teams games. I think thats what this was a case of and IMO the Giants simply had to get what the power structure was set in terms of he and Chris Mara and his role.

Not to knock reese but If the Giants were so intent on Pioli why not wait at the most 2 more weeks?

i'll give reese a chance, but it just kind of adds to the whole mara/tisch circle of trust and them never wanting to go outside of it. if reese had a hand in our last few drafts then i'll definitely give him a fair shot

Exactly my feeling on this matter. The Mara/Tish click is what dampers it for me. But, I guess we'll see.

Good hire and a guy that the Giants have DENIED requests to numerous times.

:confused:

you mean other teams wanted him? or the Giants denied him to move up?

cause then you say this

Seems no one wanted Reese, so who then. Pioli said no, the combine is 5 weeks away, then who? Charlie Casserly? terry Bradway? COuld not hire Chris Mara because you cannot fire a family member. Who was the alternative?

This little tid bit from NFL.com makes me feel much better about this move now...

As the Giants' player personnel director, he oversaw all aspects of college scouting and had most of the responsibility for the draft. Reese previously served as assistant director of pro personnel for three years.

This little tid bit from NFL.com makes me feel much better about this move now...

As the Giants' player personnel director, he oversaw all aspects of college scouting and had most of the responsibility for the draft. Reese previously served as assistant director of pro personnel for three years.

no offense, but when you dissed the move, then did not respond to the question about alternative options I was going to tell you to read this. This guy is very astute in terms of player personnel and if nothing else adds a younger more innovative mind to the GM job of the NY Giants.

no offense, but when you dissed the move, then did not respond to the question about alternative options I was going to tell you to read this. This guy is very astute in terms of player personnel and if nothing else adds a younger more innovative mind to the GM job of the NY Giants.

I dissed it because he is part of the Mara/Tish click.

The alternative GM, and it was a pipe dream, was to somehow ween Pioli over.

I dissed it because he is part of the Mara/Tish click.

The alternative GM, and it was a pipe dream, was to somehow ween Pioli over.

I think declaring a Mara/Tisch click when they have owned the team as partners without their dads in the picture for about a year is a tad premature. This is their first huge decision and probably next year will be their second when they need to make a long term decision with Coughlin combined with the big names that will be available(Cowher, Parcells, possiby even Belichick). Everyone would want Pioli and I did as well(man grew up in my hometown and went to my high school I am VERY bias), but sadly he said no. I think Reese was the best option and quite frankly he may have been even if Pioli wanted the job.

Le me preface what I am about to say by stating that I do not want to offend anyone and do not mean this in any negative way. Jerry Reese as our new GM adds a dimension that I think in todays game, with todays player could be very crucial and quite helpful. Him being African American and in a position of great power will go a long way with players who want to come here. I think this goes a long way to stress the importance of hiring black head coaches and executives and truly enforces that the best man for the job should get it, but I also think that this will go a long way with many of the black players and how they view the Giants and this organization on a whole. Good hire and a guy that the Giants have DENIED requests to numerous times.

i'm highly offended :glare:

This is not worse than bringing back Coughlin. If Reese picked up anything from Ernie, he might be good. I hope so.

How many black GM's are there now?. Ossie Newsome and Reese. Is that it?

Wait wait, Ernie Accorsie? Are you kidding me?

He has to be at least half-Irish.

Yeah he comes from the O'Reese clan from County Cork... :LMAO: . I knew this would throw a lot of cats....I knew he was Black because I had been reading Giants Insider years ago when they did pictures of the scouting department where he made his mark. Here's hoping he has some savvy and is not just a figleaf for management and a rubber stamp for Cheer Leader.

This is not worse than bringing back Coughlin. If Reese picked up anything from Ernie, he might be good. I hope so.

How many black GM's are there now?. Ossie Newsome and Reese. Is that it?

There is one other guy ...whose name escapes me right now....they named them in the NY Post this morning. :confused:

I would have picked any day before or after today to hire him.

Tommorrow, and you are not hiring him a day after the Patriots win. You've prevented there seeming to be a cause/effect. You are also not hiring a black man on MLK day, making the hiring of a very qualified human being into some sort of "gesture," and thereby cheapening what would normally be a pretty good football move.

I don't know if I'm wording this right, and I apologize if this is coming off in a way I don't mean it to. I just think Reese has done pretty well for the Giants, and I don't think the owners did Reese any favors today.

Agree with you FishGut....it seems so 70's in how the Giants handled this....announcing on MLK Day ...give me a break. Might as well as hired Cheer Leader on St. Patrick's Day. Reese's work in the scouting department has been above average to good. The only major acquisition that I question him on was picking Fat Joe in the 1st round a couple of drafts back. You can get a good DT as a free agent more often than not, so I would not have used my 1st round pick that way. But you can't hit home runs every time you swing...so hopefully he will be able to stock us up with guys who want to be here and who can actually play 3 or 4 consecutive games without getting hurt. :P

“Eli’s progress right now is not where we want him to be,” Reese said. “Obviously, it’s not where we want it to be. We want him to be a Pro Bowl guy that can lead us into the Super Bowl. That’s our goal and that’s what we’re going to do with Eli. He’s our quarterback and we’re going to go forward with him, we’re going to evaluate him and see what other things we can do to help him in this process. Eli has played for two full seasons as a starter, so he’s really not that far behind. I think it’s over-exaggerated how far (behind he is). Look at the quarterbacks that are playing now, still in the playoffs. Are those guys that much greater than our quarterback? I don’t think so. So Eli is our franchise quarterback and we hope he’ll be here for a long, long time. Again, we’re going to do everything possible, whether we have to get a quarterbacks coach, a quarterbacks guru – whatever Coach Coughlin needs, we’re going to get it for Eli because we’re depending on him to take us where we want to go.”

I like this guy already. It's about time someone said that Eli is NOT where we want him to be. I'm tired of the constant excuses for Eli.