SportsWrath

So Much for Pioli

fishgutmartyr

Newsday

OK, Here's Some News...

After hearing plenty about the Giants and Patriots' VP of Player Personnel Scott Pioli having mutual interest in making Pioli the Giants' GM, a Giants official just told me that the Giants asked the Pats for permission to talk, permission was granted...

And Pioli declined to be interviewed.

Word is that even Bill Belichick placed a call to the Giants to tell them how good Pioli is. This is a bit of a shocker, I think, but the guy has a good job with a good team and might not want to be the one to overhaul the Giants.

Just speculating on that. But it's not speculation that Pioli said no to an interview.

Sheiss.

Newsday

Sheiss.

her is a nother interesting note in the "baggie day" report

Everyone was present and accounted for -- everyone who played yesterday, at least -- so that's a start. Plaxico Burress didn't feel much like chatting with us; neither did Antonio Pierce, though both guys rarely turned down a request to talk this season, so we'll cut them some slack.

Plax did get off a good line, as usual. While a horde of us trailed him to his car, I asked if a new coach or offensive coordinator wanted him to work out in NJ, what he would say. "Tell him I'll see him in training camp," he said.

There was no word as of this writing, 1:50 p.m., on the fate of Tom Coughlin or his assistant coaches. I do know that TC had all the assistants line up and the players shake hands with each assistant in the team's final meeting, which sounds a like a final farewell for at least a few of the assistants.

I won't speculate yet about the fate of the head coach or his defensive coordinator, but it seems certain that special teams coach Mike Sweatman will retire. A couple of special-teamers said Sweatman hasn't had the same fire this season, and it reflected in an elite group from 2005 being one of the worst units in the league this season.

Anyway, if I hear anything new -- on GM discussions, TC's fate, assistant moves -- I'll be back later. This stuff is hour to hour.

this was posted 2 hours ago

"Tell him I'll see him in Training Camp"

So that means he still will be working out in Miami correct?

I asked if a NEW coach or offensive coordinator wanted him to work

"Tell him I'll see him in training camp," he said.

I wonder if Pioli declined because the Patriots are still in the playoffs. Maybe we'll make another run at him when they get knocked out.

He could've easily said let's wait till after the playoffs. I'm not buying into the argument that he has a good job now. You don't decline a GM position to remain at VP. Having said that I don't care either. I think the GM position is overrated.. either that or the current pool of GMs are really incompetent.

Try this conspiracy theory on for size, fellas:

Maybe Pioli declined because he already knows Belichick is going to be the head coach, and (as rumored in a few posts), doesn't want to be associated with the "moral issue" of an adulterer.

Or how about this one:

The Giants front office approached New England for the right to interview out of respect for Pioli, knowing full well they are going to hire Belichick as head coach with GM duties.

And how about this:

Pioli declined the interview because the Giants front office already told Coughlin his job was safe, and Pioli said "Fuck that shit, homies, I'm outtie".

Try this conspiracy theory on for size, fellas:

Maybe Pioli declined because he already knows Belichick is going to be the head coach, and (as rumored in a few posts), doesn't want to be associated with the "moral issue" of an adulterer.

Or how about this one:

The Giants front office approached New England for the right to interview out of respect for Pioli, knowing full well they are going to hire Belichick as head coach with GM duties.

And how about this:

Pioli declined the interview because the Giants front office already told Coughlin his job was safe, and Pioli said "Fuck that shit, homies, I'm outtie".

Pretty good, but if Pioli knew BB was coming to the Giants, he would decline because he doesn't want to share power with BB any more.

all these rhumors and crazy ideas between Pioli, Belicheck ,Mara, Tish ,Kraft and even Parcells

maybe this is the reason Pioli wont come here is, Pioli is Parcells' son in law , and there was talk of getting Parcells in here as GM.

link

Pioli, who is Parcells' son-in-law, was a possibility for the job, though, before he snubbed the Giants on Monday for "personal reasons." The Giants had received permission from the Patriots to speak to their 41-year-old VP of player personnel earlier in the day.

With Pioli out of the mix, that appeared to leave the Giants' director of player personnel Jerry Reese as the front-runner to replace the retiring Ernie Accorsi. Several sources have said ownership has always leaned toward hiring an in-house candidate, though one source said the Giants will not hire a GM without interviewing more outside candidates.

So far the Giants have interviewed four in-house candidates: Reese, VP of player evaluation Chris Mara, assistant GM Kevin Abrams and director of pro personnel Dave Gettleman, along with former Texans GM Charlie Casserly. Reese is also a candidate for the Tennessee Titans' GM job, though the Titans have not asked permission to speak to him yet.

The 65-year-old Parcells has one year left on his contract with the Cowboys, which means he wouldn't be able to coach the Giants unless they offered the Cowboys compensation - and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones likely wouldn't allow that to happen anyway. But the Tuna would be allowed to leave to take a GM job in another organization.

According to his Dallas contract, he must make a decision by Feb. 1.

So there may be a possability Parcells may want to "Come back home" but his son-in-law did not feel right being his father-in-laws boss or he wanted to leave the door open for Parcells to be the GM .