SportsWrath

JPP

Sephiroth

It should be something to consider because if we just let JPP walk that is just another hole that needs to be filled and most likely we get a player not at that level which will bring down the rest of the defense. Hankins and Kennard are new standouts on defense this season and when we get a healthy secondary back, this defense could start living up to its potential. If we get a new defensive coordinator it might even start looking like a Giants Defense.

I think a new DC is only a matter of when... as in what day in the offseason.. I'll pull my hair out if Fewel is still here next season.

I don't see him as a $10 miliion per season player and honestly I don't think there is a defensive player worth that. I expect JPP to command anywhere from 7 to 9 million and that is actually reasonable.

There are several who are worth at least 10 million per season. (keep in mind, the 2015 salary cap is projected to be close to 138-140 million, so this is the context). Also in the context that the 10 million dollar contracts are generally given to the best and most impactful players only.

JJ Watt

Richard Sherman

Earl Thomas

Mario Williams

Robert Quinn

Calais Campbell

Gerald McCoy

N. Suh

Geno Atkins

Marcel Dareus

Lamar Houston

Clay Matthews

Patrick Willis

Patrick Peterson

Darelle Revis

Luke Kuechly

Von Miller

Look at how much money Mario Williams makes ($12-$15 million per, depending on your methodology), then stack up his stat line and his age against JPP... seriously guys, I wish I were wrong, but there is no way that JPP is coming back for less than $10 million per season. And it will probably be north of $12 million per season. Williams got paid far, far too much, but unfortunately that set the market and (I assume) JPP's expectations.

Look at how much money Mario Williams makes ($12-$15 million per, depending on your methodology), then stack up his stat line and his age against JPP... seriously guys, I wish I were wrong, but there is no way that JPP is coming back for less than $10 million per season. And it will probably be north of $12 million per season. Williams got paid far, far too much, but unfortunately that set the market and (I assume) JPP's expectations.

Yes, I agree. I wouldn't give Mario Williams longer than a 4 year contract, at this point considering his age. Just pointing out that the current year value for the player is worth the price of > 10mm. Mario is overpaid, but is worth more than 10mm as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about what other teams are going to offer him. Giants are going to wrap him up before he gets a chance to test the waters. This team puts a higher value on pass rushers and they don't get to walk.

There are 23 potential Defensive Ends Free Agents in 2015. 18 of them are under 30 and 7 of those are notable only and one is tied with JPP in sacks this season. He doesn't come close to JPP numbers career wise.

JPP might never have a season like 2011 again and Michael Strahan didn't have another season like 2001. Then again at 26, JPP is young enough to be that unstoppable one more time.

I wouldn't worry too much about what other teams are going to offer him. Giants are going to wrap him up before he gets a chance to test the waters. This team puts a higher value on pass rushers and they don't get to walk.

There are 23 potential Defensive Ends Free Agents in 2015. 18 of them are under 30 and 7 of those are notable only and one is tied with JPP in sacks this season. He doesn't come close to JPP numbers career wise.

JPP might never have a season like 2011 again and Michael Strahan didn't have another season like 2001. Then again at 26, JPP is young enough to be that unstoppable one more time.

I can agree with that... he may not be the sharpest guy out there but I could see him rise with a solid DE opposite of him and a MLB (a Beason that plays 16 games).

Well, he's up to 9.5 sacks.

Good to see he can make impact plays when nobody is watching and it doesn't really count towards anything but a big contract. Nicely done.

+1

I closed my book of judgment on this defense after Dallas ended their season for the 2nd year in a row.

My defensive takeaways from 2014:

Fewell needs to be replaced.

JPP is not irreplaceable (but I do think we should make an aggressive, not outlandish, effort to bring him back).

McClain is a decent linebacker.

Kennard is someone you can build the LB corps around.

Beason is unreliable

DRC, when healthy, is an impact defender.

Rolle's stock is sliding

Kiwi's career as a starter is over.

Hankins can play

Moore can play

+1

I closed my book of judgment on this defense after Dallas ended their season for the 2nd year in a row.

JPP is not irreplaceable (but I do think we should make an aggressive, not outlandish, effort to bring him back).

Beason is unreliable

Rolle's stock is sliding

Hankins can play

Moore can play

Add:

Fixed Kiwi's point above. :D

Bromely needs to play.

I'd call Will Hill... nah that's just for Osi lol.

+1

Beason is unreliable

Rolle's stock is sliding

Hankins can play

Moore can play

I really don't blame Fewell. He's had talent and depth problems passed down on him, particularly through injuries at every position, particularly secondary and linebacker.

For the right price, I'd keep Rolle for another year or two, if not for leadership on the field and continuity more than anything. SS's can generally last a decent # of years because the position doesn't demand as much speed, especially for Rolle who plays well upfield in the box, or on TE's. At Safety, we need better starting talent at FS, depth there, and at SS. After watching some film and reading, Landon Collins is really growing on me.

I like Kennard, but he's an up-field defender, not a guy who's going to drop back into coverage. We need better LBs. Because of lacking LBs on this team who can cover, I come back to my demand for better safeties. I'll be happy with Landon Collins or LB Shaq Thompson.

In sum, I'll take JPP and Rolle back, but not overpaid; only for the right price. Otherwise, we go FA and draft to replace these guys.

+1

Beason is unreliable

Rolle's stock is sliding

Hankins can play

Moore can play

I'd add Ayers to that list. He can play. Prince impressed me as well.

We have the foundation of a good defense just need a new DC and a few more players.

I really don't blame Fewell. He's had talent and depth problems passed down on him, particularly through injuries at every position, particularly secondary and linebacker.

For the right price, I'd keep Rolle for another year or two, if not for leadership on the field and continuity more than anything. SS's can generally last a decent # of years because the position doesn't demand as much speed, especially for Rolle who plays well upfield in the box, or on TE's. At Safety, we need better starting talent at FS, depth there, and at SS. After watching some film and reading, Landon Collins is really growing on me.

I like Kennard, but he's an up-field defender, not a guy who's going to drop back into coverage. We need better LBs. Because of lacking LBs on this team who can cover, I come back to my demand for better safeties. I'll be happy with Landon Collins or LB Shaq Thompson.

In sum, I'll take JPP and Rolle back, but not overpaid; only for the right price. Otherwise, we go FA and draft to replace these guys.

No I blame Fewel... his defenses have always sucked year after year after year... he's mastered the art of rushing 3 and losing us games... he's mastered the art of giving up long drives because his defenses can't get us that one fucking stop we need... Fuck Fewel.

No I blame Fewel... his defenses have always sucked year after year after year... he's mastered the art of rushing 3 and losing us games... he's mastered the art of giving up long drives because his defenses can't get us that one fucking stop we need... Fuck Fewel.

Nas laying some truth down.