SportsWrath

Yanks on verge of aquiring Abreu and...

gateb

I dont think Melky is in the deal. Neither is Hughes or Tabata. It's more of a contract take over deal, with three prospects( none of much value).

If Melky does go though, I may weep like a stood up girl on prom night... :cwy:

The Philadelphia Phillies and New York Yankees have a tentative deal to send Phillies right fiedler Bobby Abreu and pitcher Cory Lidle to New York ESPN.com's Buster Olney reported Sunday.

ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported the Yankees will send 18-year-old minor-league shrotstop C.J. Henry -- their No. 1 pick in 2005 -- and 27-year-old left-handed reliever Matt Smith. The Phillies will also pick one other minor-leauge player from an agreed-upon list, while the Yankees will take on responsibility for Abreu and Lidle's contracts.

Abreu is hitting .277 with 8 home runs and 65 RBI in 99 games. He has a career batting average of .301 with 198 home runs and 841 RBI over 10 seasons.

Lidle, a right-hander, is 8-7 with a 4.74 ERA in 21 starts in 2006. In eight seasons he has a career mark of 78-69 with a 4.54 ERA.

Abreu was in the Phillies' starting lineup Sunday but was pulled for Shane Victorino 10 minutes before their game with the Florida Marlins.

I guess we didn't give up much for him...that's ok. Hopefully he's only a two or three month "rental"

But what about Sheff and Matsui?

Not to mention a pitcher from the NL.

It's not a rental unless they trade him- and even then they might have to pay some of his salary. I think the Yankees are paying him for the next two years.

It's not a rental unless they trade him- and even then they might have to pay some of his salary. I think the Yankees are paying him for the next two years.

I was thinking that the Yankees might just flip Abreu. I'd like to see that and get some pitching.

I doubt they'd just flip Abreu, especially considering his contract. Abreu's talents fit in perfectly with the Yankees organization, his .427 OBP ranks sixth in the majors and first in the NL in walks...and the Yankees short right field porch should help Abreu improve his power numbers. I'm still fuming a bit over this deal...now I'm gonna have to trade Abreu off my fantasy team.

Not to mention a pitcher from the NL.

Lidle actually played before with Oakland and some other AL team..I wanna say the Twins. He played with Johnny Damon who fully endorsed him..his numbers arent that great but they were saying that he eats innings well

I doubt they'd just flip Abreu, especially considering his contract. Abreu's talents fit in perfectly with the Yankees organization, his .427 OBP ranks sixth in the majors and first in the NL in walks...and the Yankees short right field porch should help Abreu improve his power numbers. I'm still fuming a bit over this deal...now I'm gonna have to trade Abreu off my fantasy team.

I'm not so sure about the short porch thing. Remember, he played in Philadelphia.

Hmmm.......sounds to me like you Yankee fans aren't too pleased that the Yanks acquired Abreu. :confused:

Wonder why the brains of the organization wanted him so badly?

Guess we'll see who knows best.

This just in- Yankees sell Columbus, Trenton Thunder and Staten Island Yankees for a power hitter who has less homeruns than Jose Reyes.

but, him hitting in our lineup,......nigga please! His numbers will be off the chain.

Don't you guys thin Abreu is overrated? :confused:

He could be. He may walk a lot, but he also strikes out a lot. Could that mean he takes too third strikes in crucial situations? I don't know. Let's hope his defense is a much added bonus. I saw he won a gold glove last year. I hope that wasn't only because he tried for the sure ones.