SportsWrath

Oh lordy its happening! Brian Burns to the Giants (rumor)

1 minute ago, jranieli said:

Panthers fans aren't happy about this move. Good deal

They shouldn’t be.  They were offered 2 1sts a while back and turned it down

Reading about the contract deals it's very front heavy this year. 

40+ million this year.

65+ over the first two years and 90 million over the last three.

Schoen knew this season is abit of a wash with the QB situation and the rebuild so he stacked the contract this year to ease the next four.

The son of a bitch.

He's a mad man.

Didn't have time to do my own research but listened to the Talkin' Giants guys on this heading into work today.  I knew Burns was a good player but their take on him was that he's a good player making top-2 EDGE money.  Only had double-digit sacks in one year, falls in the 30s in the league for pass rush win rate and sacks most years according to advanced statistics. 

Sounds like an Olivier Vernon situation.  We'll see how things shake out but I would have preferred Danielle Hunter for this type of money.

Also, I'm not sure what we're supposed to do about QB and other positions of need now.   That extra second could have gotten us a trade up in the 1st, or nabbed us one of the second tier QBs should they fall (Penix, Nix, etc).  This draft class is also stocked at G, RT, and WR, all positions of need;  in most mocks very good players are still available there.  Now we're unlikely to have a shot at any of those guys, and all for a guy who's averaging less than 10 sacks per season. 

Not a fan of this.  I think it reeks of desperation by Shoen and is a very shortsighted plan/outlook, plus we grossly overpaid.  This is the type of stuff that got Gettleman fired.  Hope the plan isn't to reach for McCarthy. 

Burns is a top 10 guy metric wise from what I've read. 

It's where I'd probably stick him as a pass rusher as well top 15 in the NFL.

I think this contract in two years is going to look like the normal for players like him at a premium position. 

Think of Dexs contract.

He was the highest paid DT for what? Two days.

When guys like Hutcheson and Parsons get paid Burns will be down as well. 

It's to note as well Burns is only 25, he basically get him at him prime instead of getting someone near the end of their career. 

8 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I think this contract in two years is going to look like the normal for players like him at a premium position. 

Think of Dexs contract.

It's to note as well Burns is only 25, he basically get him at him prime instead of getting someone near the end of their career. 

By what metrics? Not sacks or QB hits.

12 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Pass rush win rate, DV added per play.

Those ones no one really cares about and they don't really matter lol 

What is the best source to view those metrics for free? I don't want to subscribe to anything, lol.

Only six players have recorded at least 46 sacks and more than 59 tackles since 2019, and Burns is one of them. The others: Nick Bosa, Aaron Donald, Maxx Crosby, Myles Garrett and T.J. Watt.

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

Think of Dexs contract.

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

By what metrics? Not sacks or QB hits.

Again, just going by what I heard this morning he's a "top third of the league" kind of guy in pass rush win rate and sacks.  We're giving him top-2 money and gave up two picks, one of which I'd argue is a premium pick in a draft like this.  

I hope you're all right and I'm wrong but this is the exact type of signing that we usually end up regretting. 

30 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Only six players have recorded at least 46 sacks and more than 59 tackles since 2019, and Burns is one of them. The others: Nick Bosa, Aaron Donald, Maxx Crosby, Myles Garrett and T.J. Watt.

And Danielle Hunter.  He's actually been one of the best in both of those categories. 

1 minute ago, Sephiroth said:

And Danielle Hunter.  He's actually been one of the best in both of those categories. 

Hunter only had 38 tackles in 2020. 

15 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Hunter only had 38 tackles in 2020. 

Oh they're talking about per season?  I figured since they were combining the sack totals they were doing the same for tackles. 

14 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Oh they're talking about per season?  I figured since they were combining the sack totals they were doing the same for tackles. 

lol averaging 10 tackles per year is nothing to brag about. 

Burns performs at a high level. Forget stats. Last year it took a few games but Bobby o showed why we paid for him and burns should be better and can play all areas. Plus he is 26. And we gave up a spare 2. Good move.

22 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

lol averaging 10 tackles per year is nothing to brag about. 

image.png.39a6244534c7acd603384ca8bd33d8c5.png

I'm not sure what we're talking about.  These are Hunter's tackle stats since 2019; combined, solo, assisted, TFL, QB hits (he missed the 2020 season).  Those are good numbers.  Here are Burns' numbers. I'd say they're comparable.

image.png.654dc96225384b46e2eb37fc81157eb4.png

3 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

image.png.39a6244534c7acd603384ca8bd33d8c5.png

I'm not sure what we're talking about.  These are Hunter's tackle stats since 2019; combined, solo, assisted, TFL, QB hits (he missed the 2020 season).  Those are good numbers.  Here are Burns' numbers. I'd say they're comparable.

image.png.654dc96225384b46e2eb37fc81157eb4.png

comparable yeah, nobody said they weren’t comparable. 

36 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

comparable yeah, nobody said they weren’t comparable. 

No, but it looks like Burns only had one season where he topped 59 tackles.  I think you may have quoted a bunk stat unless I'm missing something. 

Anyways, we'll see.  I think Hunter is 29-year old Michael Strahan, and Burns is 26-year old Olivier Vernon.  I know who I'd be giving my money to. 

9 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

No, but it looks like Burns only had one season where he topped 59 tackles.  I think you may have quoted a bunk stat unless I'm missing something. 

Anyways, we'll see.  I think Hunter is 29-year old Michael Strahan, and Burns is 26-year old Olivier Vernon.  I know who I'd be giving my money to. 

Maybe. 

My eyeball test gives the edge to Burns.