SportsWrath

Who's worth keeping?

gmenroc

So it's obvious we are on the way to a dismal year.  Should likely be 0-5...will almost certainly be 1-5 next week.

Cap situation aside...who on this team is truly a undebatable starter worth keeping for the next 3 years from a talent/reliability perspective?

I would offer Banks, Hawkins, Okereke, Thibs, Lawrence on defense.

Thomas, JMS, Hyatt, Bellinger on offense.

Gillan, Gano on ST.

Robinson is too short and light to be taking all of those NFL hits to be a every down offensive player.  Robinson is a third down WR and/or gimmick player... nothing more or less at this point.  Probably forever, if you ask me.   I like your list gmenroc.  Other than that... everyone else can walk, be cut, go on an injury settlement, be traded or just walk on at this point.  I am in full rebuild mode and am willing to bite the bullet.  You cannot win consistently with the current roster, even if healthy.  This is Fool's Gold for sure..

3 hours ago, gmenroc said:

It's almost as if there were concerns about the guy being 5'10 165 coming out or some shit like that

This is what I mean when I say Schoen doesn't know what the fuck he's doing and reaches too much. Robinson and Tank Dell are basically the same player and Houston took Dell in the 4th round. 

4 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

This is what I mean when I say Schoen doesn't know what the fuck he's doing and reaches too much. Robinson and Tank Dell are basically the same player and Houston took Dell in the 4th round. 

They got Dell #68th overall in the 3rd, but I'm with you in that maybe 3rd round or later is about as high as you go for these types of players, unless they put up Jaylen Waddle or Tyreke Hill type speed numbers and proven durability in college.

Gano and Gillian are the two locks.

Sexy and Thomas play at the level worth of their contracts. 

Obviously the rookies. 

Okereke and McFadden can stick around but you need a true starting LB. 

Thibs might developed into something. 

Robinson seems to be a player, and Bellinger is decent. 

Pretty much everyone else can fuck off. 

9 hours ago, gmenroc said:

So it's obvious we are on the way to a dismal year.  Should likely be 0-5...will almost certainly be 1-5 next week.

Cap situation aside...who on this team is truly a undebatable starter worth keeping for the next 3 years from a talent/reliability perspective?

I would offer Banks, Hawkins, Okereke, Thibs, Lawrence on defense.

Thomas, JMS, Hyatt, Bellinger on offense.

Gillan, Gano on ST.

I like McKinny.

5 hours ago, mastershake said:

Yes but somehow the Dolphins pull off fielding 5'10 smallish WRs.

Zay Flowers, Josh Downs, and Marquis Brown are good too.

How’s the Fins’ offensive line?  Is it offensive like ours?

6 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Obviously the rookies. 

As much as I can’t stand the 9ers fan base, seeing the 9ers dismantle the Cowboys last night was a thing of beauty.    

5 hours ago, mastershake said:

Yes but somehow the Dolphins pull off fielding 5'10 smallish WRs.

Zay Flowers, Josh Downs, and Marquis Brown are good too.

They have the fastest team in the NFL though. You can be a smaller guy if you can out run the hits and 99% of the league. 

Look at the RB they got, dude is setting records and he's only ran the ball 30 times and averaging 18 yards lol 

Just now, Nas said:

As much as I can’t stand the 9ers fan base, seeing them dismantle the Cowboys last night was a thing of beauty.    

NFC East is basically Philly right now. 

Giants and Washington are the gutter teams and the Cowboys just fuck up and are on the downswing of Daks career.  

But yeah any time a rival gets smacked it's great to watch. 

1 hour ago, Nas said:

I like McKinny.

I don't hate him (especially on a talentless team like ours), but think he is gonna get overpaid this offseason and hopefully not by us.

I think he is a thumper type.  Good in spots, but looking at all a safety does, he's average overall.  He is not a ballhawk and he is not an overly enthusiastic tackler...opting to throw a shoulder at someone instead of taking them to the ground.  Maybe slightly above average in coverage of TEs.

18 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Obviously the rookies. 

Be hard, be strong and trade away, let them walk, and don't sign them.  That is all.

17 hours ago, gmenroc said:

I don't hate him (especially on a talentless team like ours), but think he is gonna get overpaid this offseason and hopefully not by us.

I think he is a thumper type.  Good in spots, but looking at all a safety does, he's average overall.  He is not a ballhawk and he is not an overly enthusiastic tackler...opting to throw a shoulder at someone instead of taking them to the ground.  Maybe slightly above average in coverage of TEs.

This... the wrap up tackle is a lost art.  Here comes the MONSTER HIT... that misses and/or doesn't break the guy's stride as he gets a long gain or TD. :laugh:

1 hour ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

This... the wrap up tackle is a lost art.  Here comes the MONSTER HIT... that misses and/or doesn't break the guy's stride as he gets a long gain or TD. :laugh:

I played peewee football 1 season in 8th grade (and while in best shape of my life, I was far from good).  I remember exactly two things when it comes to tackling.  First is to wrap arms and drive thru the ball carrier.  That involves keeping feet on ground and keeping legs moving because the ball carrier is expected to do the same.  Secondly, when you can, pay attention to which shoulder you lead with or which side of the carrier you place your head as the tackler.  The 2nd piece makes a huge difference between a 3 yard gain and a stop for a loss...and is also completely lost on NFL defenders.

19 hours ago, gmenroc said:

I played peewee football 1 season in 8th grade (and while in best shape of my life, I was far from good).  I remember exactly two things when it comes to tackling.  First is to wrap arms and drive thru the ball carrier.  That involves keeping feet on ground and keeping legs moving because the ball carrier is expected to do the same.  Secondly, when you can, pay attention to which shoulder you lead with or which side of the carrier you place your head as the tackler.  The 2nd piece makes a huge difference between a 3 yard gain and a stop for a loss...and is also completely lost on NFL defenders.

For sure bro... I played HS football and could have gotten into a top college program like some of my contemporaries... the Harmon brothers.  Kevin went to the 69'ers as a safety, and Ronnie my age went to the Bills and became a third down back up till the 1990 Superbowl of Giants/Bills.  They were both HS QB's at Bayside High School in Queens a big football super power back then.  We all loved football, I played FS (free safety) and knew defense as well as offense.  I loved roaming around out there.  My oldest brother played TE until he got face masked so bad that the person could have broken his neck.  All that being said... the one thing we learned in the 70s and 80s like you was to wrap up and drive through an opponent.  As you write... they are moving too and want to make a play.  A monster hit will be brushed off and/or not felt 95% of time because everyone is filled with adrenaline and wants to make a play.  Monster hits, IMHO were never planned and just happened.  I hated Kick Offs and Punt Returns because guys would be flying around and that is where you could get hurt and/or knocked out.  My head was on a swivel while playing special teams.  Tackling is a lost art since the 90s if you ask me.

On 10/10/2023 at 4:22 PM, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

It’s not even about the monster hit.   They’re making a business decision not to tackle but have to pretend to try.   Tacking is not hard at all regardless of size.  It’s about angle, technique, thrust, and a wrap…. Even if the guy drags you for a couple of yards due to size, at least you’re slowing him down for others.   

7 hours ago, Nas said:

It’s not even about the monster hit.   They’re making a business decision not to tackle but have to pretend to try.   Tacking is not hard at all regardless of size.  It’s about angle, technique, thrust, and a wrap…. Even if the guy drags you for a couple of yards due to size, at least you’re slowing him down for others.   

Sure you're still talking about tackling?