SportsWrath

Kyler gets the $$$

BlueInCanada

51 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

Should just eliminate the salary cap. Basically you’ve got 5 years to win a super bowl after drafting a franchise qb before you have to pay him and start dismantling the team around him  

The cap just increases to compensate.

I think by 2027 it's expected to be like 280 million, that's almost 70 million more than now, basically 10 million a year with the new TV deals stacking.

Stafford is going be be paid top 5 money and the Rams didn't have to dismantle their team.

Those whole "void year" thing GMs are starting to integrate into contracts seems to be making the cap pretty fluid.

Yes you'll eventually have to pay money but now you can spread it out to when you want it too. 

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

I literally laughed when I saw that 'independent study' clause too. Unbelievable. 

I'm so rooting against that guy now. I really don't like seeing people that don't put in the work succeed despite it. 

I don't know if it was a troll account or fake, but some guy on Reddit posted a graph of Kylers performance before and after the new Call of Duty game releases every year and he just tanks after the release lol 

7 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

I don't know if it was a troll account or fake, but some guy on Reddit posted a graph of Kylers performance before and after the new Call of Duty game releases every year and he just tanks after the release lol 

Lol!! The date to watch this year is October 28 .

On 7/21/2022 at 12:27 PM, BlueInCanada said:

5 year extension. 230+ million, 160 million guaranteed.

QBs are now going to average 40+ million a year for a franchise guy.

This is why I almost think we should keep Jones, pay him as a mid-tier QB (20 million/season) and go the "Trent Dilfer Ravens" route and surround him with the best defense, o-line, and running back we can.  Win every game 14-10. 

These QBs are just flat out not value. 230 million for 5'8" Kyler Murray? 

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

This is why I almost think we should keep Jones, pay him as a mid-tier QB (20 million/season) and go the "Trent Dilfer Ravens" route and surround him with the best defense, o-line, and running back we can.  Win every game 14-10. 

Need a field general. That is what Eli was. Not the superstar type, but a good QB. 

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I've been thinking along the same lines. Jones isn't good. But maybe he's acceptably mediocre? When you get to like the 24th best QB in the world, there's a lot of room for improvement, but it's damn hard to find that improvement.

6 minutes ago, Herc said:

Lol they removed it.  Good job humiliating your qb for nothing 

Days after it came to light, the Arizona Cardinals have called an audible on the controversial study addendum in quarterback Kyler Murray's new contract.

The Cardinals have eliminated the mandatory "independent study" clause in Murray's extension, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday evening.

"After seeing the distraction it created, we removed the addendum from the contract," the Cardinals said in a team statement, obtained by NFL Network's Mike Garafolo and Rapoport. "It was clearly perceived in ways that were never intended. Our confidence in Kyler Murray is as high as it's ever been and nothing demonstrates our belief in his ability to lead this team more than the commitment reflected in this contract."

Following an eventful offseason leading up to Murray's extension getting worked out, the extension itself has proved to another cause for consternation this week.

Murray officially signed his $230.5 million extension on Monday that included a stipulation requiring the QB to "complete at least four (4) hours of independent study" during game weeks. Within the now-removed clause, it stipulated that Murray needed to study material provided to him by the team in order to prepare for each upcoming game throughout each season of his contract. It went on to state Murray would not receive credit for the independent study if he was "not personally studying or watching the material while it is being displayed or played" or if the player is involved in activities that could distract his attention (i.e. television, video games or surfing the internet).

Earlier Thursday, Murray conducted an impromptu news conference in which he expressed his dismay with people thinking he could accomplish what he had in his career without being a "student of the game." Murray declined to answer if he was upset by the clause being included, but it's removal would certainly seem to indicate he wasn't pleased by its inclusion.

Rapoport reported previously that Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill believed the addendum was a needed addition to the contract, with Rapport noting Bidwill and the team "wanted some assurances that he's going to continue to work, continue to perform at the level that is necessary, and the kind of level that deserves that contract."

According to the team, the addendum was perceived in a manner that wasn't intended, and it most certainly caused a stir that was not anticipated, either.

8 hours ago, BronxRik said:

Earlier Thursday, Murray conducted an impromptu news conference in which he expressed his dismay with people thinking he could accomplish what he had in his career without being a "student of the game." Murray declined to answer if he was upset by the clause being included, but it's removal would certainly seem to indicate he wasn't pleased by its inclusion.

oh wow, did he accomplish anything on the field? When was that?

21 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I think those days are long gone in the NFL with the current era of game play.

You need a team that can score, and score quick with many games being decided in the final 90 seconds of a game, hell teams don't even need 90 seconds anymore to get downfield and score to tie/win the game, some do it in 30 seconds with ease.

You can see this change as well.

From 2017 to 2022 the top 5 defenses still allowed 20 points per game on average.

From 2012 to 2015 the top 5 allowed around 15.5 points per game on average.

Maybe one day the NFL returns to the ground and pound drag it out running game days, but with the spread offense being so prevalent and QBs now being some of the most athletic players on the field, I don't know if it ever will.