SportsWrath

The 66 players contributing to our dead cap

Mr. P

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

kind of a stupid article. Most of that content is rookie contracts that didn't work out; every team is going to have a list that looks sort of like this. Some of those players are still on the team. 

i thought it was interesting to see all the names.  

interesting, and sad.... but not particularly meaningful, and that sort of context-free "analysis" really grinds my gears.  

Its why I pretty much go to the youtube and blogosphere for football analysis these days. From ESPN to the Post, its nothing but garbage. Seems like aside from The Athletic, fan produced content is usually much more intelligent, or at least thoughtful, than everything coming out of the mass media. 

interesting, and sad.... but not particularly meaningful, and that sort of context-free "analysis" really grinds my gears.  

Its why I pretty much go to the youtube and blogosphere for football analysis these days. From ESPN to the Post, its nothing but garbage. Seems like aside from The Athletic, fan produced content is usually much more intelligent, or at least thoughtful, than everything coming out of the mass media. 

I didn’t see any attempt at analysis.  It’s just a list of all the players contributing to our dead cap.    

1 hour ago, Pdouble said:

I didn’t see any attempt at analysis.  It’s just a list of all the players contributing to our dead cap.    

first paragraph mentions salary cap issues and offers the list as an explanation. 

like three or four guys on that list meaningfully contribute to the cap 'issues'.

first paragraph mentions salary cap issues and offers the list as an explanation. 

like three or four guys on that list meaningfully contribute to the cap 'issues'.

To be fair the Giants are in cap hell next year and all of this dead cap is part of it. 

22 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

To be fair the Giants are in cap hell next year and all of this dead cap is part of it. 

Nah, cap hell is what the Saints are about to go through.

Not much available space scheduled in 2022 for the Giants, but most of the 'good' parts of the team are under contract, and nobody particularly important is set to go free agent. 

I know we tend to compare to other teams just by looking at the raw value of available cap space, but generally those teams like the Chargers and Bengals that have a lot of 2022 free cap space also have a lot of roster space to fill. Which is really the better situation, the Giants with $2 million available and a relatively full roster, vs The Chargers, with $60 million free, but needs to re-sign like ten starters? I think it just depends on how it plays out, but one situation isn't inherently better than the other. 

7 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

kind of a stupid article. Most of that content is rookie contracts that didn't work out; every team is going to have a list that looks sort of like this. Some of those players are still on the team. 

Yeah I saw this a few days ago;  stopped reading when they started mentioning players still on the team. 

Like... no duh, players on the team count towards the cap?!?!?!

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

Yeah I saw this a few days ago;  stopped reading when they started mentioning players still on the team. 

Like... no duh, players on the team count towards the cap?!?!?!

There's a different between a cap and dead cap.

You trade a guy or release him you don't have to pay him.

Dead cap is paid even if the guy isn't in the league anymore. 

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Nah, cap hell is what the Saints are about to go through.

Not much available space scheduled in 2022 for the Giants, but most of the 'good' parts of the team are under contract, and nobody particularly important is set to go free agent. 

I know we tend to compare to other teams just by looking at the raw value of available cap space, but generally those teams like the Chargers and Bengals that have a lot of 2022 free cap space also have a lot of roster space to fill. Which is really the better situation, the Giants with $2 million available and a relatively full roster, vs The Chargers, with $60 million free, but needs to re-sign like ten starters? I think it just depends on how it plays out, but one situation isn't inherently better than the other. 

Wait wait wait explain to me how this isn't a bad cap situation. 

In 2022 we only have 41 players on contract with a total of 206 million in cap space.

The cap is set at 210 million.

As of next year we have 4 million to sign 11 players just to field a full team(plus the practice squad) and draft picks.

Plus that's not even counting any free agents. 

So tell me again how this isn't cap hell? You realize we are going to have to cut some of the "good players" just to sign draft picks.

Also I don't care about any other team in the NFL I care about the Giants lol 

4 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Wait wait wait explain to me how this isn't a bad cap situation. 

In 2022 we only have 41 players on contract with a total of 206 million in cap space.

The cap is set at 210 million.

As of next year we have 4 million to sign 11 players just to field a full team(plus the practice squad) and draft picks.

Plus that's not even counting any free agents. 

So tell me again how this isn't cap hell? You realize we are going to have to cut some of the "good players" just to sign draft picks.

Also I don't care about any other team in the NFL I care about the Giants lol 

Don't necessarily have to cut anyone, Bradberry is a clear candidate for extension for example.

And 42 players under contract is not bad. A lot of teams are in the 30s. I haven't looked deeply at every team, but of the about ten or so I checked at random only the Patriots had more players under contract in 2022.

Of those ten teams, maybe two of them have a 2022 cap situation I'd rate as clearly more favorable. Patriots most obviously.

Generally speaking, teams with a lot of cap space need to sign a lot of players, so just looking at free cap space doesn't tell you anything in itself. I see our pending free agents, who are we really worried about losing? So we lose Will Hernandez and Jabrill Peppers? Big fucking deal. Is there a free agent out there that is going to turn this team around, if only we had the cap space? I don't see it. That's why I'm not worried about the cap.

I am worried about too many shitty players playing too many snaps, and I'm more worried that our front office will over value them.