SportsWrath

DRC Unretires

BlueInCanada

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021385/article/dominique-rodgerscromartie-ends-brief-retirement

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that the veteran cornerback has been reinstated and wants to play in 2019, per a source informed of the situation.

Rodgers-Cromartie, who turns 33 in April, abruptly retired in late October after seven games with the Oakland Raiders. DRC went from starting and playing 53 snaps in Week 6 to seeing zero reps in his final game for Oakland in Week 8.

After being selected No. 16 overall by the Arizona Cardinals in 2008, Rodgers-Cromartie earned two Pro Bowl bids and one second-team All-Pro (2016) nod during his 10-plus-year career. He played in two Super Bowls, with the Cardinals and the Denver Broncos.

After three seasons with the Cardinals, DRC was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles in 2011, where he spent two seasons. He rejuvenated his career in 2013, helping the Broncos reach the Super Bowl. The corner spent the next four years with the New York Giants, where he made the Pro Bowl in 2015.

After a brief retirement, DRC's market could be interesting. He garnered little interest in free agency last offseason before landing in Oakland on a one-year deal. In a league consistently searching for experienced corners, Rodgers-Cromartie could draw some interest after the top-of-the-market defensive backs have been picked over.

Honestly with just Jenkins on the team, I'd kick the tires.

No-one will sign him at age 33, after he quit on his team mid season last year. Having said that, give him a 1yr vet minimum and give him a shot at FS. Cant be worse than Riley.

This is exactly what I'd do. He played really well at FS in spot duty a few years back.

His coverage wasn't awful ... but Riley is an awful tackler. Should not be a starter. Dime D only kind of player.

He was fine in coverage because he started nearly every snap 20 yards away from the line of scrimmage.

He was fine in coverage because he started nearly every snap 20 yards away from the line of scrimmage.

Well considering that's how the safety is played in Bettchers system and no one else could do it, I don't see why that's seen as a bad thing.

Well considering that's how the safety is played in Bettchers system and no one else could do it, I don't see why that's seen as a bad thing.

They always put the worst player on the defense way back there and the only reason Riley was out there was because the coaches felt he had the best grasp of the defense to get others in position.

They always put the worst player on the defense way back there and the only reason Riley was out there was because the coaches felt he had the best grasp of the defense to get others in position.

That's why FS are paid the most in the NFL compared to their SS counterparts?

So far you've said, Riley did alright coverage wise in Bettchers scheme, and he had the best grasp of the defense to get others into position.

What more are you expecting?

I don't think that is Bettchers scheme, I think that was a product of having one safety that can cover, but not tackle, and another that can tackle but not cover.

I don't think that is Bettchers scheme, I think that was a product of having one safety that can cover, but not tackle, and another that can tackle but not cover.

Bettchers scheme has always been single high safety with the SS basically being an extra backer/nickle corner.

It's how Honeybadger got so popular with the Cardinals.

He's one of the few guys to bring the "Money backer" into the NFL from college, and why I was happy we hired him as DC, because Collins would fill into that role nicely, and he did.

That's why FS are paid the most in the NFL compared to their SS counterparts?

So far you've said, Riley did alright coverage wise in Bettchers scheme, and he had the best grasp of the defense to get others into position.

What more are you expecting?

Better tackling and the difference in salary from the top paid free safety to top paid strong safety: $1 million.

Bettchers scheme has always been single high safety with the SS basically being an extra backer/nickle corner.

It's how Honeybadger got so popular with the Cardinals.

He's one of the few guys to bring the "Money backer" into the NFL from college, and why I was happy we hired him as DC, because Collins would fill into that role nicely, and he did.

Collins didn't play that position though. He refused to play anything but safety.

Ogletree was the moneybacker. They tried Armstrong at it too, not sure how he went from potential moneybacker & starter to a midseason cut.

I thought Collins would have been a great fit at LB... But if he's not willing, he can walk.

Collins didn't play that position though. He refused to play anything but safety.

Ogletree was the moneybacker. They tried Armstrong at it too, not sure how he went from potential moneybacker & starter to a midseason cut.

I thought Collins would have been a great fit at LB... But if he's not willing, he can walk.

Yes he did lol

and Ogletree was the standard LB lol

In the Nickle sets, Ogletree and Goodson were on the field most plays, Collins was the dime/money backer, brought down into the box to basically have three LBs, and five CBs on the field.

Better tackling and the difference in salary from the top paid free safety to top paid strong safety: $1 million.

Top 10 safety contracts, 7 of them go to FS.

Jones, Jefferson and Kam are the highest SS in the NFL at the moment, and arguably the best in the game.

I wouldn't even give you Jones, the guy is a SS who plays deep field most of the time.

Yes he did lol

and Ogletree was the standard LB lol

In the Nickle sets, Ogletree and Goodson were on the field most plays, Collins was the dime/money backer, brought down into the box to basically have three LBs, and five CBs on the field.

I do not think that is correct.

Landon Collins: He will remain a safety. Collins, an All-Pro in 2016, is not slated for the moneybacker role Bettcher used for Deone Bucannon in Arizona. Instead, he will play the strong safety role similar to Tyvon Branch and Tony Jefferson with the Cardinals. Bettcher envisions Collins playing high, down in the box, covering some tight ends and blitzing off the edge. A little bit of everything. He wants to use Collins' versatility so opposing offenses won’t know where he is on the field.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/56729/giants-defense-under-james-bettcher-its-about-playing-relentless

And I'm not sure its right to say that Ogletree was the 'moneybacker' either - I just meant that he was the guy making the defensive calls, like the moneybacker often does in Bettcher's D.

Top 10 safety contracts, 7 of them go to FS.

Jones, Jefferson and Kam are the highest SS in the NFL at the moment, and arguably the best in the game.

I wouldn't even give you Jones, the guy is a SS who plays deep field most of the time.

Lets put this to rest already, we have very different opinions of Landon Collins

Lets put this to rest already, we have very different opinions of Landon Collins

He's a great one dimensional safety who can tackle.

I just dont think the Giants can afford to throw that type of money at a player who serverly lacks in an area.

I wanted to keep him, I thought they should of used the tag, but I do agree with the idea of getting rid of a guy who's gong to eat up 1/3 or your entire cap space for a single year.

He's a great one dimensional safety who can tackle.

I just dont think the Giants can afford to throw that type of money at a player who serverly lacks in an area.

I wanted to keep him, I thought they should of used the tag, but I do agree with the idea of getting rid of a guy who's gong to eat up 1/3 or your entire cap space for a single year.

I think he is better in coverage than many give him credit for. https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/2/26/18239941/should-the-giants-be-concerned-with-landon-collins-in-coverage

I think it's worth working him out. We're gonna have some young CBs on this team. The vet experience might be beneficial. I think Stewart probably helped Saquan behind the scenes last year to some effect. Not saying salary for Stewart was justified...but at right price for a year...I wouldn't hate seeing DRC back in blue provided he works out okay.