SportsWrath

Mets get no love here

1 hour ago, jranieli said:

I am not blaming him for the horribly constructed roster. Can't blame him for the older players showing their age either. Some fans are already calling for his head and that's usually a bad sign. 

It is fundamentally the same core roster that won 100+ games last year, except we have called up some young players who I feel are upgrades to last year, specifically Alvarez at catcher and I think Baty is an upgrade at 3rd.   Of course we are missing Diaz as a closer who was a spark plug for the team and forced the bullpen to realign.  

I really do wonder what this team would look like with Carlos Beltran as manager (And I have a deep seated dislike for that man since I was in the stadium when he took strike 3)    Being a young guy, who a lot of these players watched and respected might just lead to a different atmosphere to the team.  It also might not be bad that he speaks Spanish.

That was one of the ugliest games I have watched in a long time.   The Mets were playing like a mid-level rec baseball team, between throwing the ball around, base running mistakes, lining up wrong and even getting home base stolen on them...      If they lost the game people would be screaming for Buck to go

4 hours ago, jranieli said:

I don’t see much change with the team. That was a nice win, but I doubt I saves the season. Lots of holes. 

The only things they have going for them is the National League is pretty weak and there are now 6 playoff teams... oh and an owner with enough money to buy almost any other team in the league.

That is a thought...  buy the Pirates and merge the teams!

If we can somehow get back to above .500 before the end of July …… then get some pitching help before the trade deadline I think we might rally in Aug and Sept to something like 90-72 which might be enough for a Wildcard ……. But we need to start winning NOW FFS

( ps …bloody well need Pete back soon ! )

They are so frustrating to watch...  at least last night they were piling on the runs and Max had a great outing, but I have zero faith that they do not get shutout tonight.

Im not sure what is going on with McNeil but when he comes up to the plate he is not looking comfortable, and any missed swing or close call by the ump he starts cursing himself and getting all pissed off which leads to him striking out.   I think he needs a hooker to blow him between innings maybe 

Another couple of absolute shit games..  I am so close to hoping that they shut this shit down.    Get anything we can (Prospect Pitchers preferably) for any veteran on this team, bring up the young guys from Syracuse and  at least give us some baseball that is mildly worth watching.    Buck should also be given some sort of gentle kick out the door

9 hours ago, jranieli said:

Man, this team fucking can't hit. What kind of at-bat was that from Marte?

Once Nimmo drew that walk I knew it was over.   I assumed Marte was going to pop out, he surprised me and just struck out.

We were not supposed to be done with watching baseball in early July when Cohen bought the team.   

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 12:45 PM, UK-Giantsfan said:

If we can somehow get back to above .500 before the end of July …… then get some pitching help before the trade deadline I think we might rally in Aug and Sept to something like 90-72 which might be enough for a Wildcard ……. But we need to start winning NOW FFS

( ps …bloody well need Pete back soon ! )

I am rooting for them to lose every game up until the trade deadline....  Nothing would be worse than seeing them trade off some prospects for a short term player on this team which is not getting to the playoffs.    I would love to see Max get traded for some prospect pitchers, especially if some of them could be relievers next season.   Same goes with trading Pham

Mets traded Scherzer and eating $35m to the Texas Rangers for Luisangel Acuña. No idea who this guy is. 

RJJPXcp0wi2zF1JGitN6uIDi3TRN6mZM2_ykJcZi

In return, the Mets received Acuña, the 44th best prospect in baseball according to MLB.com, and the brother of Ronald Acuña Jr. The 21-year-old is hitting .315/.377/.453 with 25 doubles, two triples, seven home runs, and 42 stolen bases this season in Double-A.

Also, traded closer David Robertson to the Marlins

The New York Mets unofficially announced they have begun selling at the trade deadline by trading closer David Robertson to the Miami Marlins for prospects INF Marco Vargas and C Ronald Hernandez. Both of the prospects acquired are teenagers playing rookie ball this season.

Maybe they can get something good for Verlander as well. 

19 hours ago, jranieli said:

I am starting to be more open into trading Alonso. They need starting pitching desperately. 

I think he is one of the few untouchable players....

The only issue I have with the two sales so far, we have not picked up any pitching...    what this team needs is a bullpen.   Hopefully we can get the Dodgers to give us a couple arms for Verlander

12 hours ago, jranieli said:

Canha and cash going to the Brewers for a minor league pitcher. There we go.

https://www.milb.com/player/justin-jarvis-680691

Mets are eating Canha's salary for the year. I guess for a better prospect. The Wilpons would have traded Canha for cash. 

tRJJPXcp0wi2zF1JGitN6uIDi3TRN6mZM2_ykJcZi

This was another one where it feels like the Mets should have gotten more than a AA/AAA pitcher with a 4+ ERA if they were paying the majority of Canha's salary.   I understand money is nothing to Cohen...  but still we need some players!

Have to expect at least Pham to go today, probably on cheap.   If Verlander goes, they need a real haul for him 

The New York Mets made two final deals before the trade deadline. First, they sent relief pitcher Dominic Leone to the Los Angeles Angels in exchange for infield prospect Jeremiah Jackson. Then, to end the day, they acquired a duo of relievers from the Los Angeles Dodgers in Phil Bickford and Adam Kolarek for cash considerations.

Looking at it now...  I'm starting to like it more and more, so long as we land Ohtani and fill in a couple other arms like Snell from Pittsburg and I did see something talking about another Japanese pitcher Yammamoto.

None of the guys they traded were translating to winning baseball this season and if half the guys they were traded for pan out, we are looking at a stacked offensive team for years to come

If the team wants to get fans back in their good graces, throw a big bucket of money at Pete right now with an extension.

I also think that Buck needs to go during the off season, bring in some manager who is going to play these young guys and not have a giant stick up his ass

What a terrible lost season it has been . Perhaps the worst i have seen after so much expectation and investment ever.

Good to see Pete with his 2 homers and 6 RBI's last night. Hope the team retains its self respect into Sept ........but it is painful to watch

Go Mets in 24/25