SportsWrath

Cowboys LB Rolando McClain suspended

Treehugger

Cowboys LB Rolando McClain suspended first 10 games of 2016

The NFL has suspended Dallas Cowboys linebacker Rolando McClain for the first 10 games of the 2016 season for a violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy, according to ESPN's Adam Shefter and Todd Archer.

This will be the second consecutive season in which McClain has started the year with a suspension. He served a four-game suspension in 2015 for the same violation.

McClain, 26, is a former eighth-overall draft pick who has struggled to stay out of trouble since entering the league in 2010. After a series of off-the-field incidents with the Oakland Raiders (the team that drafted him) — including a misdemeanor assault charge — and a stint with the Baltimore Ravens in which he never played a down, the Alabama product looked like he was starting to turn his career around with the Cowboys.

The back-to-back suspensions now put McClain's NFL future in question.

Yep... I'm still pissed about letting that one get away.

Agreed with both. Even if it's a five year career I think it will be a good career. Giants could certainly use a guy that's really good for five years over a one year stopgap that's not really good. They drafted Odighizuwa with injury concerns, Kennard with injury concerns, Thomas etc. I don't know why a guy with injury that fell was all the sudden a problem

Half of Dallas's D being suspended bodes well for teams in the NFC East getting a head start on them, but I gotta say, after watching the GMen let opportunity after opportunity slip away last year, I have little confidence. Still, the Eagles seem to be on pace for a losing season and I'd say on day 1 of the season, the East is between the Giants and Redskins.

Yeah that's a good one. Marvin Harrison is an argument but I'd prob put him behind both of them

Yeah it's rare to see a team grab so much talent in the draft, I mean Jax is walked away with arguably the two best defensive players.

Just a matter of time to see how it all turns out, but could be a turning point for that franchise, maybe they should bring Coughlin back.

Agreed with both. Even if it's a five year career I think it will be a good career. Giants could certainly use a guy that's really good for five years over a one year stopgap that's not really good. They drafted Odighizuwa with injury concerns, Kennard with injury concerns, Thomas etc. I don't know why a guy with injury that fell was all the sudden a problem

I said the same thing during the draft.

"Myles Jack might only play for five years."

"Well, that's about four more productive years than a typical Reese linebacker."

Yeah it's rare to see a team grab so much talent in the draft, I mean Jax is walked away with arguably the two best defensive players.

Just a matter of time to see how it all turns out, but could be a turning point for that franchise, maybe they should bring Coughlin back.

I think so too. I think they compete for the division this year

Jags could end up with two best players in the draft which I've never seen before

Agreed. I think the only time I remember a team making out like bandits was when the Ravens drafted Suggs and some other star in rounds 1 and 2....

So with all this shit, those teams that traded down and got like a basketfull of top round picks never managed to snag a set of HoF'ers in one draft? I know how badly the Chargers screwed the pooch with the stuff we handed to them - drafting Merriman and Nate Kaeding and the likes. Merriman was good - but that's about it. They could have done so much better considering they also got Rivers.

So with all this shit, those teams that traded down and got like a basketfull of top round picks never managed to snag a set of HoF'ers in one draft? I know how badly the Chargers screwed the pooch with the stuff we handed to them - drafting Merriman and Nate Kaeding and the likes. Merriman was good - but that's about it. They could have done so much better considering they also got Rivers.

The draft is a crap shoot, I mean if a GM could just point at a player and say "He's gonna be a HOF'er" then every team would be made up of nothing but greats.

I mean it's all hindsight, Merriman was on his way to being of the best pass rushing LBs since LT until he got busted for 'roids.

Kaeding was a pro bowl kicker until he lost his nerve.

Until the Giants won the SB in '07 the Chargers clearly got the better part of the deal.

If you want to talk about teams fucking up the draft, tell me how a the Redskins fucked up two entire drafts worth of picks when Ditka traded away an entire draft and more to them for Ricky Williams.

How they didnt build a dynasty off of that we will never know.

They traded it right back with RG3.....but yeah....I get your point.

The Titans and Jags seem primed to build a roster for the ages - Lets see how that pans out. It would be a complete switch from the teams we have been used to - and yes - including the McNair days

The Titans and Jags seem primed to build a roster for the ages - Lets see how that pans out. It would be a complete switch from the teams we have been used to - and yes - including the McNair days

I love when the "power houses" of any sport flip.

NBA team like the Cavs sign king James and next thing they are a top team in the NBA.

It's a lot harder for an NFL team to go from scrub to playoffs, which is why I enjoy seeing it. Getting a GM/HC and team together through FA and the draft and watching the results on the field unfold after a number of seasons.

The Cardinals, Chiefs, Vikings, Panthers. All teams five or so seasons ago you would never have pegged for teams trying to compete for an playoff spot let alone be in the SB.

Just hope the Giants are heading in the same direction.

When they fizzle out again, look to management for the cause.