SportsWrath

Draft summary

Allstarjim

1st Rd: CB Eli Apple, Ohio State

Long, young, still improving athletic phenom, was the best DB on multiple team's boards after Jalen Ramsey.

2nd Rd: WR Sterling Shepard, Oklahoma

Best route runner in the class, tremendous athlete, only 5'10", but strength and physicality of a bigger receiver, lateral movement ability surpassed by no one.

3rd Rd: FS Darian Thompson, Boise State

Ball skills, ball skills, ball skills. Center fielder, here's hoping we get a lot of turnovers. Only real head-scratcher for me in the draft with Justin Simmons on the board.

4th Rd: MLB B.J. Goodson, Clemson

NFL body, polish, instinctual linebacker, projects as long-term middle linebacker solution for the Giants.

5th Rd: RB Paul Perkins, UCLA

Athletic, shifty, slippery RB with enough of a physical nature to stick his nose in pass protection, as well as a polished receiver out of the backfield. Can be a 3-down running back.

6th Rd: TE Jerell Adams, South Carolina

Big and fast, receiving TE with great hands, needs some work as a blocker, but a definite pass catching threat with speed to win the seam deep. Good value in the 6th and can contribute early.

I feel better about this draft than any in recent memory. Love the players they got, love the position values they got. Very clear they came in with a draft strategy and executed it very well. Go Giants!

Joe, although I have a lot of hours in of study (because I love this stuff and its a passion thing), it pales in comparison to the man hours that Reese and his staff have in this process. Not only that, but they are privy to A LOT more information than I have available to me. Sure, I hit on guys because you should be able to see talent that's there. But I'm not working in the confines of roster position squeezes and positional budget allocation, etc. And nothing happens to me if I make a bad call on a player. My job isn't on the line, and the public doesn't tell me how much I suck. You should trust Reese more, as crazy as that sounds.

But I will celebrate a little when Beau Sandland and Braxton Miller score their first TD's. :)

And also, BB25 is fantastic at this stuff, too. He starts getting to know these players a lot farther out than I do.

The way I see it:

I'm very happy with our picks... I still think we should've moved up to grab Jack but oh well...

This draft along with free agent signings completes our defense.... Every position is solidified...

I look at drafts as 3 good players and a crap shoot thereafter. No sane person should expect the draft to fill every need. I'm ecstatic we have a solid nickle a slot receiver and a free safety... And ecstatic we have a TE who can actually out-run my grandmother...

I don't know how the MLB is going to pan out but we have enough bodies now to make a decent to solid bunch....

The big elephant in the room is the right side of the Oline... So I ask you guys.... What are our options at this point (as opposed to signing free agents come June)?

To be honest Jim if this draft class doesn't turn out well you are being re-registered as a tranny midget asian sex offender. Not the minority you want to be in the state of Florida.

But on the bright side, maybe I can start a webcam?

The way I see it:

I'm very happy with our picks... I still think we should've moved up to grab Jack but oh well...

This draft along with free agent signings completes our defense.... Every position is solidified...

I look at drafts as 3 good players and a crap shoot thereafter. No sane person should expect the draft to fill every need. I'm ecstatic we have a solid nickle a slot receiver and a free safety... And ecstatic we have a TE who can actually out-run my grandmother...

I don't know how the MLB is going to pan out but we have enough bodies now to make a decent to solid bunch....

The big elephant in the room is the right side of the Oline... So I ask you guys.... What are our options at this point (as opposed to signing free agents come June)?

Probably have to make a trade. They will certainly go after the best possible UDFA's like Avery Young from Auburn, but other than that it's wait until June 1st cuts or try to swing a trade. Here are the guys that are still free agents:

Jamon Meredith RT 29 TEN TBD - - - - Austin Wentworth RT 25 MIN TBD - - - - Tyson Chandler RT 25 BUF TBD - - - - Micah Hatchie RT 23 PIT TBD - - - - Kelvin Palmer RT 25 ARI TBD - - - - Jeff Linkenbach RT 28 SD TBD - - - -

These guys are considered LT's but could conceivably switch. Cross of D'Brickashaw Ferguson (retired).

Mitchell Van Dyk LT 25 PIT IND N/A - - - D'Brickashaw Ferguson LT 32 NYJ TBD - - - - William Beatty LT 31 NYG TBD - - - - Khalif Barnes LT 34 OAK TBD - - - - Jake Long LT 30 ATL TBD - - - - Nate Chandler LT 26 CAR TBD - - - - Tyler Polumbus LT 31 DEN TBD - - - - Tony Hills LT 31 NO TBD - - - - Tavon Rooks LT 25 KC TBD - - - -

It's way too early to tell how successful this draft is.

I think alot of people are judging this draft assuming that our defense, specifically our front 7, was improved as a result of our free agency signings.

My most recent observations about the Giants defense are based on what I saw on the field. And what I saw on the field in 2015 was this:

-The defense as a unit was the worst in the NFL.
-JPP could not tackle.
-Robert Ayers was our best defensive lineman, and now he is gone.
-Our best linebacker from 2015 (Kennard) could not stay healthy.
-Prince is gone

It's fair to say Reese has made alot of moves to address the defense, in both free agency and the draft. With respect to the latter, they added additional competition at CB, S, and LB. But until they actually play pro snaps, that's all they are - competing for jobs. We have no idea if we got another Jayron Hosley, Phillip Dillard, etc.

And the jury is still out until we see how much bang for the buck the Giants get from their free agent picks.

If their free agency additions at DL and LB do not pan out as expected, this draft goes from "great" to "fire Reese".

The 2016 draft was predicated on the belief that their horrible 2015 pass rush has already been fixed. If that's not the case, everyone will be remembering the Giants went 0-3 in the first three rounds while the rest of the NFL stocked up on pass rushers and run stuffers.

I tend to agree far more often with Dan Graziano than not, and I think his draft analysis is pretty solid (see link below).

Like most analysts, he loved the Shepard pick. I wanted Ragland instead, and I suppose I'll have to see how the season unfolds to know if Goodson is better than Ragland, as Jim predicts. I don't think Reese deserves blind faith regarding linebacker. Until I see otherwise, linebacker remains a weak, patchwork unit. It is a sad fact that Reese has NEVER drafted a linebacker who has been an impact player. That includes Kennard, who at this point earns an "Incomplete" grade. Every other linebacker Reese has drafted has been a failure. And his free agent linebackers have been bad more often than good. There were a couple exceptions, like Boley, who managed to have perhaps his best year as a pro in 2011. But the best free agent linebackers that Giants had were largely guys who were signed when Gettleman was doing the hunting.

A huge wildcard in all of this is Bill McGovern. He's the guy who turned Herzlich into a potential 1st round pick prior to his illness. I think there is reason to hope our coaching at this position has been upgraded, and if so, it would be a huge offseason win for the Giants defense.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/46549/giants-add-to-muddled-linebacker-inventory-take-lb-b-j-goodson-in-round-4

The New York Giants don't like to invest high-end resources in the linebacker position. They prefer to do things like wait until the fourth round, take guys who have certain traits they like and hope someone develops into a star. Been a while since it's happened, but they keep on swingin'. On Saturday, they took Clemson's B.J. Goodson with the 11th pick of the fourth round.

The Giants love guys who crush it at the combine, and no linebacker in Indy this year topped Goodson's 30 bench press reps. They had him in for a visit and like that he was a middle linebacker and team captain on a Clemson team that made it to the College Football Playoff National Championship. At best, he's a two-down linebacker at the NFL level and can help right away on special teams.

Goodson said he "fell in love" with everything new Giants linebackers coach Bill McGovern told him during his pre-draft visit to East Rutherford. That points up an interesting factor to consider when analyzing the Giants' linebacker position this year. During his time at Boston College, McGovern had a reputation for getting the most out of players and turning lesser-known prospects like Mark Herzlich and Luke Kuechly into stars.

Goodson attended the same high school -- Lamar High School in South Carolina -- as former Clemson linebacker Levon Kirkland, who played 11 NFL seasons as a member of the Steelers, Seahawks and Eagles from 1992-2002.

I think it's unfair to call Goodson a 2-down linebacker. But if you do, you have to call Ragland a 2-down linebacker. In passing downs, 'Bama almost never had him drop... there's a reason for that.

Ragland was considered by some as a 1st round value, and a 3 down linebacker. Yes, his strength is run defense, but he possesses adequate zone abilities. He is capable of covering tight ends. SEC Defensive Player of the Year. I really hope Shepard is as great as everyone says. The Giants passed on a blue chip middle linebacker to take him.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2016rragland.php

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/03/24/draft-pff-scouting-report-reggie-ragland-lb-alabama/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2000915/reggie-ragland

It's all academic now. I respect your opinion, but will reserve judgment on Goodson, given Reese's terrible track record.

My guess is we see Goodson on special teams in 2016.

As I said before, if Reese's free agents fail, then so does his draft. He put all his eggs in one basket in 2016.

I have to admit, I'm pretty intrigued by Paul Perkins. Dude looks to have tremendous vision in his game tape.

If we could find another lineman to run block along with Flowers, this kid might be the next Ahmad Bradshaw.

Mel Kiper draft grades 2016: "Fantastic draft" for New York Giants

By Ed Valentine

@Valentine_Ed on May 1, 2016, 9:14a 116

GettyImages-513094160.0.jpg
Eli Apple at the combine - Joe Robbins/Getty Images

The ESPN guru likes what the Giants did, obviously.

Tweet Share (639)

Earlier on Sunday, we posted a variety of NFL Draft grades from several respected analysts. Missing from that list, though, was the opinion of ESPN analyst. Well, Kiper's 2016 NFL Draft grades are here, and he believes your New York Giants had "a fantastic draft." He gave GM Jerry Reese and Co. a B+.

"The Giants did major work in free agency to address what was, at least for them, a historically bad defense last season. But needs are still everywhere, especially on defense. Eli Apple is a really talented kid, and you have to go with your board, but at No. 10 he was a reach on mine as my No. 28th-ranked player. There will be some growing pains as he adjusts to new coaching and different techniques, but that could also bring out the best in him. Sterling Shepard is a great get for any team, and
is going to love him. Take that guy anywhere and I'll like the pick. Darian Thompson is one of the great ball hawks in college football and could emerge as a starter at safety, and B.J. Goodson is a thumper they need at linebacker. Paul Perkins is a really good back at a good value point, and Jerrell Adams is a steal that late. Even with the one reach, this is a fantastic draft."

We won't actually know anything, of course, until these new Giants get on the field. The Giants, under pressure after three straight losing seasons, needed a good draft. Kiper is just the latest analyst to tell us it looks like the Giants had one.

Ragland was considered by some as a 1st round value, and a 3 down linebacker. Yes, his strength is run defense, but he possesses adequate zone abilities. He is capable of covering tight ends. SEC Defensive Player of the Year. I really hope Shepard is as great as everyone says. The Giants passed on a blue chip middle linebacker to take him.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2016rragland.php

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/03/24/draft-pff-scouting-report-reggie-ragland-lb-alabama/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2000915/reggie-ragland

It's all academic now. I respect your opinion, but will reserve judgment on Goodson, given Reese's terrible track record.

My guess is we see Goodson on special teams in 2016.

As I said before, if Reese's free agents fail, then so does his draft. He put all his eggs in one basket in 2016.

Joe, I encourage you to go to draftbreakdown.com and view Ragland's games. Please count for me how many times he drops into a zone coverage. Count how many times he is rushing the passer on third downs versus having coverage responsibility.

This is also from Bob McGinn's pre-draft articles where he quotes anonymous, NFL scouts on the prospects by position:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-linebackers-b99704579z1-377020691.html

3. REGGIE RAGLAND, Alabama (6-1, 248, 4.66, 1): Kept busy playing special teams for two years, started at WLB in 2014 and as the signal-calling MLB in '15. "When he hits people they stop right there," one scout said. "He's a plugger. Good reading through hats, diagnosing quick. He can get sideline to sideline tracking people down." Finished with 220 tackles (17 ½ for loss), 4 sacks and 8 big plays. "Very nice kid," another scout said. "He's gifted enough. His body is a little soft but his athleticism speaks for itself. Question is, can he be a three-down linebacker? That's my only concern. If you really watch Alabama, on third down they don't have him dropping into space. They have him rushing the passer (with his hand down outside). There's got to be a reason they do that." Administered the Wonderlic test twice, scoring 10 and later 15. "There was a little knock on him learning the playbook early," said a third scout. "Talking to people at Alabama, you're not going to throw an NFL playbook at him Day 1. But in time he will learn it. When he learns it he can retain it." From Madison, Ala. "Great (expletive) kid," a fourth scout said. "He'll knock the (expletive) out of you. Fast, explosive, not very smart. That's going to affect him on the next level."

He is a downhill LBer, who wasn't asked to run and cover very much. Maybe he will rush the passer for the Bills on 3rd down.

He accumulated big stats behind Jarran Reed and A'Shawn Robinson. He's aggressive, he brings force to the tackle. But I can say the same things about Goodson. And Goodson is faster, stronger, with quicker change of direction skills, as evidenced by his superior numbers at the combine. Moreover, look at Goodson and look at Ragland. You can see which one of those guys puts in work at the gym.

And not sure if you saw, but I'll say it again... Ragland is also a medical flag, enlarged aorta. He will need yearly ekg's. That doesn't mean he won't have a long, productive career, but it's also not something you dismiss as nothing.

If Goodson played for Alabama the last couple of years, he would've been projected as a first rounder. Seriously.

But again, I've watched Ragland, he's almost ALWAYS running toward the line of scrimmage. The Bills will find out if he can cover at all, and that's a question.

I'm not saying Goodson is going to be Luke Kuechly in pass coverage. But I will say this, Ragland DOESN'T have any visible advantage over Goodson in that area as a prospect. And Goodson has more athleticism than Ragland to be successful at it.

BTW, same article, here's what they said about Goodson:

5. B.J. GOODSON, Clemson (6-0 ½, 240, 4.65, 3-4): Started for 1½ seasons at MLB. "He's not a very good athlete but he had a good year," one scout said. "He's aggressive, he's active. He made a lot of plays for them. I didn't see him stack and shed. Instinctive kid. Not a real big guy." Finished with 138 tackles (17 ½ for loss), 6 ½ sacks and 8 big plays. "Really good between the tackles," another scout said. "Has some range between the numbers. I question his ability going backwards in coverage. He's tight." His 30 reps on the bench press led ILBs. From Lamar, S.C.

1. Eli Apple-Plan here is to play bump and run on the outside and have Jenkins come into the slot. I've heard comparisons to Trumaine Johnson (the guy I wanted from Rams) Jenkins can also press and is very aggressive. Only three years removed from high school. We get a guys that's nine years younger than DRC. Has better ball skills than int numbers indicate, has key int's in big games

2. Sterling Shepard-Love this pick. Can fit inside or outside and is possibly the best route runner in the NFL.

3. Darian Thompson- 2nd best, if not best safety on the team already. Crazy balls skills, can play single high and allow the CB's to be aggressive. Will fit really well. Think Brian Dawkins who Spags had in Philly

4. B.J Goodson-I didn't think the Giants were really suited to get an athletic/hybrid type LB. Floyd stuff leading to draft was all smoke I believe. Goodson is a thumper that fits better and will compete early for snaps. Joshua Perry went a few picks before and was someone I had them targeting in round 3. Overall Goodson will be good and I think honestly think better than Ragland (who some wanted us to take.) Goodson was team captain and defensive play caller something that I think really appealed to the Giants

5. Paul Perkins RB- Three down back who is better than any back on the roster right now

6. Jerell Adams- Me and Jim mentioned some other TE's at this spot. I didn't even realize Adams was still there. He can threaten the seam and has the size to be good in the red zone

Overall I like this draft. Didn't think they would go OT after not finding one in round one.

1. Eli Apple-Plan here is to play bump and run on the outside and have Jenkins come into the slot. I've heard comparisons to Trumaine Johnson (the guy I wanted from Rams) Jenkins can also press and is very aggressive. Only three years removed from high school. We get a guys that's nine years younger than DRC. Has better ball skills than int numbers indicate, has key int's in big games

2. Sterling Shepard-Love this pick. Can fit inside or outside and is possibly the best route runner in the NFL.

3. Darian Thompson- 2nd best, if not best safety on the team already. Crazy balls skills, can play single high and allow the CB's to be aggressive. Will fit really well. Think Brian Dawkins who Spags had in Philly

4. B.J Goodson-I didn't think the Giants were really suited to get an athletic/hybrid type LB. Floyd stuff leading to draft was all smoke I believe. Goodson is a thumper that fits better and will compete early for snaps. Joshua Perry went a few picks before and was someone I had them targeting in round 3. Overall Goodson will be good and I think honestly think better than Ragland (who some wanted us to take.) Goodson was team captain and defensive play caller something that I think really appealed to the Giants

5. Paul Perkins RB- Three down back who is better than any back on the roster right now

6. Jerell Adams- Me and Jim mentioned some other TE's at this spot. I didn't even realize Adams was still there. He can threaten the seam and has the size to be good in the red zone

Overall I like this draft. Didn't think they would go OT after not finding one in round one.

I thought maybe they would get Spriggs in round 2 or Shon Coleman, Le'Raven Clark in round 3, but after those three guys, there really isn't much of a point. The other guys are projects, and perhaps these three were not as NFL ready in their eyes as some believed, either. Guys will shake loose, I just hope Reese is aggressive in addressing this issue, up to the point of making a strong offer for an OT that can start on the right side and not be a liability.

Probably have to make a trade. They will certainly go after the best possible UDFA's like Avery Young from Auburn, but other than that it's wait until June 1st cuts or try to swing a trade. Here are the guys that are still free agents:

Jamon Meredith RT 29 TEN TBD - - - - Austin Wentworth RT 25 MIN TBD - - - - Tyson Chandler RT 25 BUF TBD - - - - Micah Hatchie RT 23 PIT TBD - - - - Kelvin Palmer RT 25 ARI TBD - - - - Jeff Linkenbach RT 28 SD TBD - - - -

Meredith already played for the GIants.Would they bring him back?