SportsWrath

Eric Flowers (and the rest of the o line)

ppodlesny

Left side looks promising. Right side, not so much.

Flowers, Pugh, and Richburg are solid and will improve as they grow together. Schwartz and Newhouse are stop gaps that are not great. I expected more from Schwartz and maybe he'll surprise me.

I don't understand how the system works, but I've heard that after game one, the Giants could sign Jake Long without some kind of contract obligation (whatever that means). He'd be a big plus on the right side.

All in all, our front line did okay considering the line they were up against. The Cowboys suck, but they have built the trench. Something TC promised to do when he came to New York exclaiming that games are won in the trenches. Seems they didn't start drafting with that in mind until 3 years ago.

2013: Pugh, Hankins, Moore

2014: OBJ, Richburg, Bromley

2015: Flowers, Collins, Odighizuwa

No surprise that Reese was criticized for piss poor drafts, but looked like a genius in the last 3 drafts. In the last three drafts, he concentrated on the trench in the first 3 rounds unless there was a spectacular skill player sitting there like OBJ.

At least Reese is finally getting it. Better late than never.

Left side looks promising. Right side, not so much.

Flowers, Pugh, and Richburg are solid and will improve as they grow together. Schwartz and Newhouse are stop gaps that are not great. I expected more from Schwartz and maybe he'll surprise me.

I don't understand how the system works, but I've heard that after game one, the Giants could sign Jake Long without some kind of contract obligation (whatever that means). He'd be a big plus on the right side.

All in all, our front line did okay considering the line they were up against. The Cowboys suck, but they have built the trench. Something TC promised to do when he came to New York exclaiming that games are won in the trenches. Seems they didn't start drafting with that in mind until 3 years ago.

2013: Pugh, Hankins, Moore

2014: OBJ, Richburg, Bromley

2015: Flowers, Collins, Odighizuwa

No surprise that Reese was criticized for piss poor drafts, but looked like a genius in the last 3 drafts. In the last three drafts, he concentrated on the trench in the first 3 rounds unless there was a spectacular skill player sitting there like OBJ.

Excellent assessment! It's good to see they are grabbing lineman in the earlier rounds and it looks like it will pay off for the future. I just wish he did not take Wilson with that 1st round pick ... I never thought he was any good even when he was healthy

Excellent assessment! It's good to see they are grabbing lineman in the earlier rounds and it looks like it will pay off for the future. I just wish he did not take Wilson with that 1st round pick ... I never thought he was any good even when he was healthy

He almost got it in 2010 when he picked JPP and Linvall Joseph back to back, but the rest of the draft went to shit...and the next 2 drafts didn't help build a trench.

Just imagine how smart the front office would look if we snagged La'el Collins in the 5th round this year instead of Mykkele Thompson. Instead, we let the Cowboys pick him up as a FA. That would've been ideal. Of course, we are all geniuses in hind sight.

What did you guys think? I thought they were much improved over last year. I honestly think the RBs we have, suck.

Andre Williams is fucking terrible, I've known that since he averaged 3.0 YPC after Jennings went down. Speaking of, Jennings is serviceable and he at least has some vision and cutback ability. Vereen impressed, but honestly, it's a shame they decided sometime in the second half to feature him as the #1 fucking wide receiver. Him and Preston fucking Parker. Vereen was signed as an outlet. The slant to Beckham was the only semblance of aggressive offense last night....that happened with 2 minutes left.

Andre Williams is fucking terrible, I've known that since he averaged 3.0 YPC after Jennings went down. Speaking of, Jennings is serviceable and he at least has some vision and cutback ability. Vereen impressed, but honestly, it's a shame they decided sometime in the second half to feature him as the #1 fucking wide receiver. Him and Preston fucking Parker. Vereen was signed as an outlet. The slant to Beckham was the only semblance of aggressive offense last night....that happened with 2 minutes left.

I've said this for a long time now and he just keeps proving it, yet people rave about him all the time.

Andre Williams has all the skills, but absolutely no vision. Like, Ron Dayne bad.

I think the line was just okay. They were inconsistent....pretty good in places...sketchy in others.

The solution I believe is simply time for the left side. Let them get some more experience and gel. The right side however, will likely require some higher round draft pick to keep the youth/talent infusion going on the offensive line. That, or a kick ass pass rusher....because it appears we don't have any.

sigh.

2009--Will Beatty(2nd)

2010--JPP (1st), Linval Joseph (2nd)

2011--Marvin Austin (2nd)

Other picks for "the trenches": Petrus, Brewer, Mosley, McCants, Tracy, Kuhn. There's also a list of free agents for the trenches, some of who, while not great, did help us get a second Lombardi.

The only 2 years he didn't get at least one player for the trenches in the first 3 rounds were 2008 and 2012: 2008 he picked 2 DBs (Phillips and Thomas) and Manningham, 2012 was Wilson (who most people on this site was thrilled about) and a DB and WR (once it was clear that we'd be losing Nicks or Cruz).

Other than Austin, Reese has actually done an outstanding job drafting DTs: Cofield, Joseph, Hankins. And he's gotten some serious bang for the buck at that position in free agency. He apparently couldn't draft a LB at gunpoint, but he can do DBs and DTs. The DBs can't stay healthy for shit, but he can draft them.

This whiile in a situation where your starters at DE are league leaders like Tuck and Umenyiora, you still have a 1st rounder in the second string (Kiwi); your entire starting offensive line basically deteriorates within 2 years (more than one of those guys literally went from Pro Bowl 1 year to IR/retired the next--that's insane); and you have far more glaring needs at the time (LB, CB, Safety--all of which he drafted with the other picks in the first 3 rounds in that period).

You want to call them bad drafts? Go for it. Personally, I think those were some of the most injury-plagued, cursed drafts I've ever seen, but there you go--same net effect.

But ignoring the trenches? That simply didn't happen. And repeating this meme like a mantra simply isn't going to change the facts.