SportsWrath

NY Giants are "in the mix" to get La'el Collins

BleedinBlue

Assuming Collins is cleared of any wrongdoing, his path to an NFL team will be interesting to watch.

After Thursday night’s first round, his agent told teams that Collins would not sign with any team that drafted him after the third round and would re-enter the draft in 2016. However, players who go undrafted in a given year cannot re-enter a future draft.

Collins would now have to sign as an undrafted free agent, which means he will only receive a league-minimum contract. As a result, his signing bonus will be relatively paltry.

Apparently the whole UFA deal is now capped.

Assuming Collins is cleared of any wrongdoing, his path to an NFL team will be interesting to watch.

After Thursday night’s first round, his agent told teams that Collins would not sign with any team that drafted him after the third round and would re-enter the draft in 2016. However, players who go undrafted in a given year cannot re-enter a future draft.

Collins would now have to sign as an undrafted free agent, which means he will only receive a league-minimum contract. As a result, his signing bonus will be relatively paltry.

Apparently the whole UFA deal is now capped.

Yeah I tried to mention this before when someone brought up that Collins might get drafted late and then hold out for a first round type of contract.

If I was Collins, I would look into signing with the CFL. Make more money while waiting out the 2 years before he can sign a mega-contract with the NFL. The CFL draft is May 12th next week.

He'd still probably make less as a 1st round CFL rookie than a NFL UFA.

They are saying that the baby La'els ex-girlfriend was carrying was not his baby after a DNA paternity test. That would lead me to believe that he had no involvement in this mess. Of course, that doesn't mean he didn't, but far less likely IMO. I'm sure that the investigation will continue until he's fully cleared (or not), but that's good news for him. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/paternity-test-shows-la-el-collins-was-not-the-father-of-brittney-mills--child-015159534.html

They are saying that the baby La'els ex-girlfriend was carrying was not his baby after a DNA paternity test. That would lead me to believe that he had no involvement in this mess. Of course, that doesn't mean he didn't, but far less likely IMO. I'm sure that the investigation will continue until he's fully cleared (or not), but that's good news for him. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/paternity-test-shows-la-el-collins-was-not-the-father-of-brittney-mills--child-015159534.html

Dunno man. I could see the whole "my girl just got knocked up by some other dude and I'm heading to the NFL so I want to cut ties with all my baggage so I'm hiring someone to take care of the problem" story too. Not that I can relate, because...yeah, well, I just wouldn't go hiring someone to kill anyone...but given today's world...that story wouldn't be too much of a stretch if it did happen.

But I'll say it again at this point, UDFA signings are so low risk, that I'd bring La'el in now without batting an eye. Not sure when Beatty could become a realistic cap casualty - but bringing in Collins as a future replacement for Beatty would be a huge salary cap gain and make it significantly more possible to keep Eli, Prince, AND JPP.

Dunno man. I could see the whole "my girl just got knocked up by some other Lebowski and I'm heading to the NFL so I want to cut ties with all my baggage so I'm hiring someone to take care of the problem" story too. Not that I can relate, because...yeah, well, I just wouldn't go hiring someone to kill anyone...but given today's world...that story wouldn't be too much of a stretch if it did happen.

But I'll say it again at this point, UDFA signings are so low risk, that I'd bring La'el in now without batting an eye. Not sure when Beatty could become a realistic cap casualty - but bringing in Collins as a future replacement for Beatty would be a huge salary cap gain and make it significantly more possible to keep Eli, Prince, AND JPP.

Hard to know how serious of a relationship Collins had with this girl. She was 27 and he was 21. He might have been using her for an ease piece of ass. And if she was knocked up by some other guy, she wasn't exactly in love with La'el....or so it would certainly seem.

But getting back to football. If we were to luck out and get him, I think Beatty is probably playing his last year as a Giant. But I don't think they'd put Collins at LT, but rather RT and move Flowers to LT. There'd be some growing pains, but once the line gels, it would (knock on wood) be an exceptional line.

Hard to know how serious of a relationship Collins had with this girl. She was 27 and he was 21. He might have been using her for an ease piece of ass. And if she was knocked up by some other guy, she wasn't exactly in love with La'el....or so it would certainly seem.

But getting back to football. If we were to luck out and get him, I think Beatty is probably playing his last year as a Giant. But I don't think they'd put Collins at LT, but rather RT and move Flowers to LT. There'd be some growing pains, but once the line gels, it would (knock on wood) be an exceptional line.

Bringing Collins in now, letting him back up Beatty and Flowers this year, would ease growing pains when Collins would theoretically make the field next year. I'm not a huge fan of offseason grades during the offseason...but I'd have to think that signing Collins would instantly shift whatever grades we're getting up a level or two.

I believe Flowers has better LT feet than Collins. I agree that Collins would profile down the line as a RT, maybe OG, but not to say that LT would be out of the question.

Also, Collins' ex could've told him that the baby was his and she is going to go after him for half of his money for the next 18 years. We don't know. Just because the baby isn't Collins', doesn't mean he knew that and doesn't mean that the mother knew that, or if she did, didn't misrepresent who the father was. There would certainly be a strong financial reason to tell La'el the baby was his.

But again, more speculation. I don't think he did it, or hired someone to do it, and I hope the detectives working this case find out who did very soon. It's still a sick, disgusting thing to do.

maybe this changed with the new CBA, but UDFAs used to become exclusive rights free agents after a couple years. If that changed, yeah, this could work out for him.

Canada may be his best bet though. Go there for a couple years, then he's an unrestricted free agent for the NFL.

I was watching an interview with a CFL player on a CBS sports link and he said that CFL players consider playing the game a "part time job" and they pretty much all have regular jobs on the side in order to pay the bills. I think a paltry 500-600k that a player gets as a UDFA in the NFL would be far superior to the CFL...not to mention, getting to play in the NFL and honing NFL skills.

I suspect that is why the top players in the CFL draft are trying out on teams like the Giants because a UDFA contract is far more lucrative than a full contract in the CFL.

Listen to the player discuss CFL from 4:07 to 4:45 (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25115675/whoa-canada-examining-the-nfl-talent-pipeline-emerging-up-north), and you'll see why a player would prefer an NFL contract - LOL

I think playing in the CFL makes little financial sense for Collins. You want to prove yourself against NFL competition so that in year 3 you are a known commodity that can command a big check. No matter how good you are in the CFL, you are playing against CFL players, and there will still be doubt among NFL execs about what the player will be able to do against NFL players. His best chance at getting big money on that second contract is signing as a UDFA in the NFL.

Just hopefully not in Dallas.

I think playing in the CFL makes little financial sense for Collins. You want to prove yourself against NFL competition so that in year 3 you are a known commodity that can command a big check. No matter how good you are in the CFL, you are playing against CFL players, and there will still be doubt among NFL execs about what the player will be able to do against NFL players. His best chance at getting big money on that second contract is signing as a UDFA in the NFL.

Just hopefully not in Dallas.

Yeah, I just posted a link about playing in the CFL by editing one of my previous posts, so I'll post it again. It seems the CFL doesn't pay well or really take the game nearly as seriously as here in the states. Listen to the guy discussing the CFL starting around the 4:00 mark for the next minute or so. Actually made me laugh. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25115675/whoa-canada-examining-the-nfl-talent-pipeline-emerging-up-north

BTW - are you Allstarjim and just changed your name to Jim?

Yeah, I just posted a link about playing in the CFL by editing one of my previous posts, so I'll post it again. It seems the CFL doesn't pay well or really take the game nearly as seriously as here in the states. Listen to the guy discussing the CFL starting around the 4:00 mark for the next minute or so. Actually made me laugh. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25115675/whoa-canada-examining-the-nfl-talent-pipeline-emerging-up-north

BTW - are you Allstarjim and just changed your name to Jim?

Yes. I'm an allstar no more. :P It was a joke that a buddy called me because when we would play softball at this camp I went to as a teenager, I played all out to win, so he called me, "allstarjim", and later created a yahoo profile for me that incorporated it... hence, the online moniker was born... but I've always felt it made me come off as arrogant, which I'm not. So, I finally dropped the 'allstar', as you notice underneath my handle... it says "past my prime". :P

Yes. I'm an allstar no more. :P It was a joke that a buddy called me because when we would play softball at this camp I went to as a teenager, I played all out to win, so he called me, "allstarjim", and later created a yahoo profile for me that incorporated it... hence, the online moniker was born... but I've always felt it made me come off as arrogant, which I'm not. So, I finally dropped the 'allstar', as you notice underneath my handle... it says "past my prime". :P

LOL - yeah, it's tough to pick a moniker when joining a website....and once people get to know each other, we start using nicknames. For years I was called "BinB" and out of the blue it went away and became either "bleedin" or "BB". I never bothered to change it, but I might at some point. I've noticed the name "BleedinBlue" on other sites and always figured that people on this board assumed it was me on another board, but it's not. This is the only place I use that name.

Regardless...never ever thought of you as arrogant. Cute that it bothered you. lol

hahah now you're RolePlayerJim. or RotationGuyJim.

lol, I ended up dropping the "Prince" portion from my name once I made sure everyone is in check... The combination of "Nas" and my avatar does the job just fine :D

LOL - yeah, it's tough to pick a moniker when joining a website....and once people get to know each other, we start using nicknames. For years I was called "BinB" and out of the blue it went away and became either "bleedin" or "BB". I never bothered to change it, but I might at some point. I've noticed the name "BleedinBlue" on other sites and always figured that people on this board assumed it was me on another board, but it's not. This is the only place I use that name.

Regardless...never ever thought of you as arrogant. Cute that it bothered you. lol

I remember those days. What's your handle on BBI? I know Pdouble's over there (to be the best, you've got to beat the best!)

lol, I ended up dropping the "Prince" portion from my name once I made sure everyone is in check... The combination of "Nas" and my avatar does the job just fine :D

My wife loves Jeff Dunham and that character. LOL. You have a good sense of humor, Nas, one of the things I appreciate about you.

:laugh: Pdouble. What about, SavvyVetJim? I like that better. ElderStatesmanJim? Better than BenchWarmerJim!

HighMotorWhiteGuyJim.

My wife loves Jeff Dunham and that character. LOL. You have a good sense of humor, Nas, one of the things I appreciate about you.

My grandparents like Jeff Dunham. I think he's pretty terrible and have had to sit through his shit over there before.

HighMotorWhiteGuyJim.

My grandparents like Jeff Dunham. I think he's pretty terrible and have had to sit through his shit over there before.

HMWGJ - winner! :LMAO:

I agree with your assessment of Dunham. I've sat through it too out of kindness to my wife. Yet my wife doesn't think Louis C.K. is funny at all. :facepalm: