SportsWrath

NY Giants are "in the mix" to get La'el Collins

BleedinBlue

It's a done deal - no use crying over spilt milk.

No team took him because they couldn't be assured of the outcome. It's called "good business sense".

And besides, Dallas already has one of the best offensive lines in the country. Collins will make no difference in the outcome of games. In fact, it might hurt them as they will probably have to break up a cohesive unit that has built chemistry together in order to find Collins some playing time (which Jones probably promised instead of telling him he would have the opportunity to "earn" playing time).

In the end - Dallas will still have a good offensive line. But their defense sucks and they've managed to lose key players. Instead of drafting a world class RB (after losing DeMarco Murray), they ignored the position entirely during the draft. And they are betting the ranch that a doped up Gregory can do the kind of damage that DeMarcus Ware used to do. Not likely for a rookie. To top it off, 2 of their draft picks were for offensive tackles (Chaz Green and Laurence Gibson). Nothing tells a rookie that was just drafted how much they want them like taking a 3rd tackle after the draft to fill a position where there is no need.

Add to that, their star return man and special teams ace Dwayne Harris is now a Giant....as is pass rusher George Selvie now an ex-Cowboy turned Giant. They drafted DE Ryan Russell in the 5th round in hopes he can fill Selvie's shoes.

So the Cowboys have serious holes in their defense. The only place they were particularly strong was their offensive line...and by signing Collins (after drafting two other offensive tackles), it remains strong with the possibility of his presence disrupting the chemistry that the team has built together.

Collins is a good lineman, but he can't handle the tackle position in the NFL and will have to move to guard. He has a learning curve to go through. It is not going to make the Cowboy's an instant winner, nor would it have made the Giants an instant winner. What it does, is give a rush to fans who think the draft is the same thing as winning games.

It's a done deal - no use crying over spilt milk.

No team took him because they couldn't be assured of the outcome. It's called "good business sense".

And besides, Dallas already has one of the best offensive lines in the country. Collins will make no difference in the outcome of games. In fact, it might hurt them as they will probably have to break up a cohesive unit that has built chemistry together in order to find Collins some playing time (which Jones probably promised instead of telling him he would have the opportunity to "earn" playing time).

In the end - Dallas will still have a good offensive line. But their defense sucks and they've managed to lose key players. Instead of drafting a world class RB (after losing DeMarco Murray) and they are betting the ranch that a doped up Gregory can do the kind of damage that DeMarcus Ware used to do. Not likely for a rookie.

Add to that, their star return man and special teams ace Dwayne Harris is now a Giant....as is pass rusher George Selvie now an ex-Cowboy turned Giant.

So the Cowboys have serious holes in their defense. The only place they were particularly strong was their offensive line...and by signing Collins, it remains strong with the possibility of his presence disrupting the chemistry that the team has built together.

Collins is a good lineman, but he can't handle the tackle position in the NFL and will have to move to guard. He has a learning curve to go through. It is not going to make the Cowboy's an instant winner, nor would it have made the Giants an instant winner. What it does, is give a rush to fans who think the draft is the same thing as winning games.

I think you're overly optimistic... Collins wasn't going to start for the Cowboys.. my gripe is the Giants SHOULD HAVE used the 7th rounder on Collins even if the other 31 teams didn't. Dallas and the Giants both did great in the draft... both teams landed 1st rounders in their 2nd round and Gregory may turn out to be as good as advertised...

The Dallas Cowboys should change their name the the Dallas Convicts .

Jerry Jones must of seen the North Dallas 40 and said..... damn I can do that.

32 teams , Dallas Passed on him in the draft as well. He was signed as an UDFA

I did say 31 OTHER teams. So that does total 32.

So haha, pdouble wins.

I think you're overly optimistic... Collins wasn't going to start for the Cowboys.. my gripe is the Giants SHOULD HAVE used the 7th rounder on Collins even if the other 31 teams didn't. Dallas and the Giants both did great in the draft... both teams landed 1st rounders in their 2nd round and Gregory may turn out to be as good as advertised...

My guess is if the Giants had kept their two 7th rounders, they would have rolled the dice on La'el Collins.

As it is, we got the other Collins with the 7th and that ain't too shabby.

My guess is if the Giants had kept their two 7th rounders, they would have rolled the dice on La'el Collins.

As it is, we got the other Collins with the 7th and that ain't too shabby.

Here's how I see it... when was the last time a 7th rounder amounted to be anything... really Ahmad Bradshaw is all I can think of in the past decade.... we know our OL is our weakest link... this kind maybe innocent to begin with... and so what if we go thru the motion and offer the guy a decent amount of money where he will accept.. it's not like 1st round money is breaking the bank nowadays...

Oh well.

Here's how I see it... when was the last time a 7th rounder amounted to be anything... really Ahmad Bradshaw is all I can think of in the past decade.... we know our OL is our weakest link... this kind maybe innocent to begin with... and so what if we go thru the motion and offer the guy a decent amount of money where he will accept.. it's not like 1st round money is breaking the bank nowadays...

Oh well.

again, there is a rookie wage scale. the giants couldn't have offered any more than they would give to any other 7th rounder.

and drafting him would only allow him to sit out the season and re-enter next years draft. the only reason he signed as an undrafted guy is because going undrafted bars him from entering the draft next year.

again, there is a rookie wage scale. the giants couldn't have offered any more than they would give to any other 7th rounder.

and drafting him would only allow him to sit out the season and re-enter next years draft. the only reason he signed as an undrafted guy is because going undrafted bars him from entering the draft next year.

I was under the impression the Giants could offer more under the circumstances... if that's not the case, then I understand.