SportsWrath

CNNSI Predicts The NFC East

Guest nosebleed

Guest nosebleed

Talk pro football with SI.com's Andrew Perloff in Huddle Up, a forum to discuss the hottest topics around the NFL.

5/15/2006 01:08:00 PM

Predicting The NFC East

Before last season, predicting the NFC East was easy. The Eagles had won the division four straight years and looked like a lock. Then T.O. happened and the Giants, Redskins and Cowboys stepped into the power vacuum and had winning seasons in 2005.

Now this is the toughest division to pick in the NFL. But that's why they pay me the big bucks. Here goes:

1. Dallas Cowboys: They are loaded with weapons on offense, have systematically brought in the right players to run their 3-4 defense and addressed their kicking problems by signing Mike Vanderjagt. The two biggest fears in Big D have to be a Terrell Owens meltdown and problems on the offensive line. But if Dallas avoids those pitfalls, Bill Parcells could take his third team to the Super Bowl. Predicted Record: 11-5

2. Washington Redskins: By the end of last season, the Skins were the best team in the division. They handed out whoopings to the Cowboys, Giants and Eagles in the final three weeks of the regular season and gave Seattle a hard time in the divisional playoffs despite being totally worn out. They added another group of high-priced free agents in the offseason and have a ridiculous set of assistant coaches under Joe Gibbs. The only glaring question mark is 35-year-old quarterback Mark Brunell, but he was good enough last year. It's hard not to pencil Washington in as a playoff team, even though I would love not to just to antagonize the army of paranoid Redskins fans. Predicted Record: 11-5

3. New York Giants: Everything comes down to Eli Manning. The third-year QB's breakdown against the Panthers in last year's playoffs doesn't inspire confidence. Then again, he is a Manning, so maybe he's just bad in the postseason and will continue to develop in the regular season. The Giants' biggest problem is a horror show of a schedule. Check out their first seven games, the toughest stretch for any NFL team all season. Predicted Record: 9-7

4. Philadelphia Eagles: As Peter King pointed out in Monday Morning QB, coach Andy Reid is as cocky as ever and doesn't seem to care what the three other teams in the division do. Although the offensive problems got all the attention in '05, the defense fell apart as well. New additions on the line (Darren Howard, Ed Jasper and rookie Brodrick Bunkley) will help free up Jevon Kearse and make Philly's D dangerous again. That being said, the Eagles still can't run the ball at all and they won't have the six easy divisional wins that helped them dominate the NFC earlier in the decade. Predicted Record: 7-9

Let me know how you think the NFC East will pan out and why.

i dont understand how you can go against the Giants when 1. they are defending division champs 2. they lost virtually no one of any importance 3. they picked up some quality players

If this was "Storm's NFC East Predictions," I'd swap the Cowboys and Giants.

Talk pro football with SI.com's Andrew Perloff in Huddle Up, a forum to discuss the hottest topics around the NFL.

Predicting The NFC East

Before last season, predicting the NFC East was easy. The Eagles had won the division four straight years and looked like a lock. Then T.O. happened and the Giants, Redskins and Cowboys stepped into the power vacuum and had winning seasons in 2005.

Now this is the toughest division to pick in the NFL. But that's why they pay me the big bucks. Here goes:

1. Dallas Cowboys: They are loaded with weapons on offense, have systematically brought in the right players to run their 3-4 defense and addressed their kicking problems by signing Mike Vanderjagt. The two biggest fears in Big D have to be a Terrell Owens meltdown and problems on the offensive line. But if Dallas avoids those pitfalls, Bill Parcells could take his third team to the Super Bowl. Predicted Record: 11-5

2. Washington Redskins: By the end of last season, the Skins were the best team in the division. They handed out whoopings to the Cowboys, Giants and Eagles in the final three weeks of the regular season and gave Seattle a hard time in the divisional playoffs despite being totally worn out. They added another group of high-priced free agents in the offseason and have a ridiculous set of assistant coaches under Joe Gibbs. The only glaring question mark is 35-year-old quarterback Mark Brunell, but he was good enough last year. It's hard not to pencil Washington in as a playoff team, even though I would love not to just to antagonize the army of paranoid Redskins fans. Predicted Record: 11-5

3. New York Giants: Everything comes down to Eli Manning. The third-year QB's breakdown against the Panthers in last year's playoffs doesn't inspire confidence. Then again, he is a Manning, so maybe he's just bad in the postseason and will continue to develop in the regular season. The Giants' biggest problem is a horror show of a schedule. Check out their first seven games, the toughest stretch for any NFL team all season. Predicted Record: 9-7

4. Philadelphia Eagles: As Peter King pointed out in Monday Morning QB, coach Andy Reid is as cocky as ever and doesn't seem to care what the three other teams in the division do. Although the offensive problems got all the attention in '05, the defense fell apart as well. New additions on the line (Darren Howard, Ed Jasper and rookie Brodrick Bunkley) will help free up Jevon Kearse and make Philly's D dangerous again. That being said, the Eagles still can't run the ball at all and they won't have the six easy divisional wins that helped them dominate the NFC earlier in the decade. Predicted Record: 7-9

I would say that's a fair assesment.

Guest Lockhart

Predicting The NFC East

The Article rings true as the Redskins were better than the Giants at the end of 2005 and both the Skins and Cowboys improved their offenses greatly in the off season, while both already had better defenses than the Giants. The Giants have basically remained the same losing Will Allen and Kendrick Clancy, while replacing them with an aging Sam Madison and inury proned headcase Lavar Arrington. The Giants have stayed about the same while the Redskins and Cowboys have greatly improved.

Guest Floyd The Barber

this reporter must be a troll and Giant hater...how he cant predict they will go 16-0 and march into the playoffs on the shoulders of a weakling is beyond me...such a hater !!!

I think is a decent take on it. Our schedule does suck fat nuts. But I what I don't understand is how it can make that big of a difference when our schedule and the schedule of our division opponents only differ by 2 games.

I think is a decent take on it. Our schedule does suck fat nuts. But I what I don't understand is how it can make that big of a difference when our schedule and the schedule of our division opponents only differ by 2 games.

The Giants do have a tough schedule, but such is the Age of Parity. If everyone plays up to their potential 11-5 or 10-6 is doable. Even if that doea come to pass, the FAG 4 will still find reasons to bitch. :brooding:

The Giants do have a tough schedule, but such is the Age of Parity. If everyone plays up to their potential 11-5 or 10-6 is doable. Even if that doea come to pass, the FAG 4 will still find reasons to bitch. :brooding:

I don't pay the FAG 4 any attention. Come to think of it, this is the first time I've actually referred to them in a post. I think, too, that if we avoid major injury, that 10-6 or 11-5 are definitely do-able. My point was simply that CNNSI was down on the Giants because they had a tough schedule while every team in the NFC East has a tough schedule becuase there is a minimal difference between the schedule of the Giants and the schedule of the Redskins, Eagles, or Cowboys. So in other words, it's really not a good point to make.

The Giants have basically remained the same losing Will Allen and Kendrick Clancy, while replacing them with an aging Sam Madison and inury proned headcase Lavar Arrington.

Lavar Arrington replaces Kendrick Clancy? Huh. Tim Lewis is writing some innovative schemes, that's for sure.

I don't pay the FAG 4 any attention. Come to think of it, this is the first time I've actually referred to them in a post. I think, too, that if we avoid major injury, that 10-6 or 11-5 are definitely do-able. My point was simply that CNNSI was down on the Giants because they had a tough schedule while every team in the NFC East has a tough schedule becuase there is a minimal difference between the schedule of the Giants and the schedule of the Redskins, Eagles, or Cowboys. So in other words, it's really not a good point to make.

i agree ROC !!

the bottom line is the competition has risen.

The difference's between the NFC east teams

are very small. Noone has a real advantage.

It will be a WAR !!!!!! :flex:

:rock:

you go out and find every neg art you can.

I guess philly will just vanish?

I'm not saying that NY will run the division but the way parcelles has been acting about T.O. seems to be a powder keg waiting to explode. And philly is not gonna come in last thats flat out stupidity.

It's amazing to me that you guys consider yourselves NY fans.....Even when I knew we sucked i was hoping for a good season, maybe some division wins...

If I ever had the displeasure a playing ball with a punk ass like yourself that cryed about losing before we took the field, i would have dragged you around the practice field by your tighty whities...

bitch...

Guest nosebleed
you go out and find every neg art you can.

I guess philly will just vanish?

I'm not saying that NY will run the division but the way parcelles has been acting about T.O. seems to be a powder keg waiting to explode. And philly is not gonna come in last thats flat out stupidity.

It's amazing to me that you guys consider yourselves NY fans.....Even when I knew we sucked i was hoping for a good season, maybe some division wins...

If I ever had the displeasure a playing ball with a punk ass like yourself that cryed about losing before we took the field, i would have dragged you around the practice field by your tighty whities...

bitch...

:LMAO:

Beware - Toughguy alert.

:LMAO:

Beware - Toughguy alert.

For every art you post thats negative I can post one that pos...

all you dudes did last year was cry.....we won the division and had a winning season.

why can't you not be a dick?

Playing sports with dudes who had the defeatest attitude like you where weeded out, and dealt with...

like it or not...tough guy...

Guest nosebleed
For every art you post thats negative I can post one that pos...

all you dudes did last year was cry.....we won the division and had a winning season.

why can't you not be a dick?

Playing sports with dudes who had the defeatest attitude like you where weeded out, and dealt with...

like it or not...tough guy...

Well Frankenstein, if you have a problem with the article, e-mail CNNSI, for they are the individuals you seem to have a "beef" with at this moment. E-mail them with your toughguy talk, they may respond with something similiar to this.................... :LMAO:

What I want to know is how come nobody remembers that "the bad ass Colts" just lost thier awesome RB, and most of the other teams we're playing aren't any better than us... We played in Seattle and hands down beat them (thanks for ruining it Feely), we beat the streaking Bronco's, and last time I checked we blew out a couple of average teams... fuck the schedule... as long as we stay healthy we have the ability to stomp any of those teams...we are not a medicore .500 team... we are one of the elite in the NFL whether the Fab 4 likes it or not... and especially fuck these analyts predictions, because aren't these the same guys that said we were going to get last place last year...funny how things work :doh: