SportsWrath

I say Fewell is gone next year

MikeGL

Spagnuolo is currently the secondary coach in Baltimore, a promotion from last year when he was a "Senior Defensive Assistant". I think it's telling that no team has really even considered him for any meaningful position after his failure in St. Louis, followed by his failure in New Orleans, where his defense gave up the most yards in NFL HISTORY. Not just the most in that particular season...the most in NFL history. Either he caught lightning in a bottle in 2007 or he sold his soul to the devil for a Super Bowl and the devil has come for repayment in the form of the rest of his career...but the guy has simply been figured out. So now, he essentially gets the Jim Fassel treatment.

Well when your defensive scheme relies on you having a HoF DE and such a wealth of talent along the D-line that no opposing QB has any time to set up and deliver, you arn't going to be able to use it on many team in the NFL.

Glad he was here, glad he was able to help lead the team to a SB win, but it's not like Spags was any sort of Dick Lebeau.

Spagnuolo is currently the secondary coach in Baltimore, a promotion from last year when he was a "Senior Defensive Assistant". I think it's telling that no team has really even considered him for any meaningful position after his failure in St. Louis, followed by his failure in New Orleans, where his defense gave up the most yards in NFL HISTORY. Not just the most in that particular season...the most in NFL history. Either he caught lightning in a bottle in 2007 or he sold his soul to the devil for a Super Bowl and the devil has come for repayment in the form of the rest of his career...but the guy has simply been figured out. So now, he essentially gets the Jim Fassel treatment.

He caught lightning in a bottle at the right time... when Strah was a Force of One... getting double and triple teamed... bound to be holes that others could exploit like Osi...

Well when your defensive scheme relies on you having a HoF DE and such a wealth of talent along the D-line that no opposing QB has any time to set up and deliver, you arn't going to be able to use it on many team in the NFL.

Glad he was here, glad he was able to help lead the team to a SB win, but it's not like Spags was any sort of Dick Lebeau.

Sorry man ...didn't see your post as mine is more of the same. Agree 100%... John Fox was a better coordinator in my opinion when he was here. But I am not anointing him for Canton either...

I thought Spagnuolo's major selling point here was that he wasn't Tim Lewis, but it he did do a good job.

And to be fair, he's been served some some serious shit-sandwiches since those days. When he was head coach, he had to play a season or two without Bradford, who hasn't exactly been an iron man, or much of a difference when he was on the field. And to hold that one year in NO against him is just ridiculous, considering the team was headless, and a good chunk of his players were suspended.

Sorry man ...didn't see your post as mine is more of the same. Agree 100%... John Fox was a better coordinator in my opinion when he was here. But I am not anointing him for Canton either...

John Fox got us that one critical three and out almost every time.

I thought Spagnuolo's major selling point here was that he wasn't Tim Lewis, but it he did do a good job.

And to be fair, he's been served some some serious shit-sandwiches since those days. When he was head coach, he had to play a season or two without Bradford, who hasn't exactly been an iron man, or much of a difference when he was on the field. And to hold that one year in NO against him is just ridiculous, considering the team was headless, and a good chunk of his players were suspended.

Yep... besides who do we have who's been better? Shit outside of John Fox... I can't think of anyone else who's even come close.

And a good chunk of Fewell's players are on IR every season. I don't think that is a legitimate excuse, though. The fact is, that good coordinators find ways to fill holes and adhere to a "next man up" mindset.. The Giants as a team, are piss-poor at that. The Packers seem to have similar luck in terms of injuries but are a perennial playoff team with typically solid defenses.

And a good chunk of Fewell's players are on IR every season. I don't think that is a legitimate excuse, though. The fact is, that good coordinators find ways to fill holes and adhere to a "next man up" mindset.. The Giants as a team, are piss-poor at that. The Packers seem to have similar luck in terms of injuries but are a perennial playoff team with typically solid defenses.

Fewell has shit players, to be sure.

But fucking A... what uncreative schemes. You ever see a delay blitz? A stunt? A corner blitz?

Dude is as vanilla as they come. He's a B- to C+ coordinator. He does what he can with the JaQuain Williamses on the team but he certainly can't mask their weaknesses.

Wait--you're comparing the IR problem this year to what Spagnuolo went through in NO? If you can't tell the difference between the two circumstances, then I'm not going to waste my time explaining it.

If you want to compare something a little more balanced, then look at what Spags did with 2008, and losing his two starting DEs (one being a HOF'er) before the season even started. Robbins played the season with a broken hand. Cofield had surgery after the season. The only LB we had was an already-declining Antonio Pierce.

Frankly, I don't even care about Spagnuolo that much--I thought he was OK as a DC.

Wait--you're comparing the IR problem this year to what Spagnuolo went through in NO? If you can't tell the difference between the two circumstances, then I'm not going to waste my time explaining it.

If you want to compare something a little more balanced, then look at what Spags did with 2008, and losing his two starting DEs (one being a HOF'er) before the season even started. Robbins played the season with a broken hand. Cofield had surgery after the season. The only LB we had was an already-declining Antonio Pierce.

Frankly, I don't even care about Spagnuolo that much--I thought he was OK as a DC.

Yet Gregg Williams had no problem leading defenses without Sean Payton; they notoriously didn't like each other, that's why Joe Vitt had a job. Sorry, I don't buy it. If Spagnuolo was given the 3 players that were suspended (Fujita was then with the Browns), his defense would still have gave up a shit ton of yards, Sean Payton's input or not.

Yet Gregg Williams had no problem leading defenses without Sean Payton; they notoriously didn't like each other, that's why Joe Vitt had a job. Sorry, I don't buy it. If Spagnuolo was given the 3 players that were suspended (Fujita was then with the Browns), his defense would still have gave up a shit ton of yards, Sean Payton's input or not.

I look at what Spags did as DC, v. Fewell, and it's no contest.

The Rams was and remains a crap organization......the Saints defense after Bounty Gate would have sucked under any coach not named Gregg Williams.

I would love to have Spags back, or else another DC that shares his aggressive philosophy.

Today's offensive rules and players make it almost impossible to run a dominant Tampa-2.....for it, you need good linebackers (e.g, Urlacher in Chicago, Derrick Brooks in Tampa Bay).....that shit won't be happening with our GM.

I look at what Spags did as DC, v. Fewell, and it's no contest.

The Rams was and remains a crap organization......the Saints defense after Bounty Gate would have sucked under any coach not named Gregg Williams.

I would love to have Spags back, or else another DC that shares his aggressive philosophy.

Today's offensive rules and players make it almost impossible to run a dominant Tampa-2.....for it, you need an elite middle linebacker.....that shit won't be happening with our GM.

Why? All of those players who were suspended were reinstated that season. I think Vilma was the only one who missed significant time and it was 5 games.

Why? All of those players who were suspended were reinstated that season. I think Vilma was the only one who missed significant time and it was 5 games.

That team was nuked by the NFL....the entire team was demoralized and pissed off. The Saints defense tuned Spags out.