SportsWrath

THE DRAMA KING DRAFT GURU GRADE

K3VIN

Over all INCOMPLETE

Odell Beckham could be a good WR I just dont like him as a fit for us. We need a Number one not a Number 2.

The C could be good a Bit of a Reach tho.

The Cuse DT Blahmey(sp) was our worst pick he will be like our good friend Marvin Austin . NO longer on the team in three years.

The RB Williams has some potential.

Bromley will be more Jay Alford then Marvin Austin.

I hate comparing players. I see it all the time, especially in basketball where the talking heads say some 16 year old kid being recruited by all the top schools, "reminds them of James Worthy", or "this kid reminds me of a young Malone" or "this kid coming up makes you think of Rod Strickland".....etc.

No player is exactly like any other player. Everyone is unique and has different skill sets, different body styles, different personalities, different motors, different coordination, etc.

Bromley is going to be exactly like Bromley. Big motor, totally unique, solid lineman who will stuff the line and could surprise with quite a few sacks coming from the inside. Only time will tell.

Early rankings are nonsense. In 1989, the Packers had the second overall pick and chose the player every other team wanted, Tony Mandarich. He was the quintessential offensive lineman to ever come to the NFL (the Wilt Chamberlain, Dr. J, and Michael Jordans of basketball). The perfect body, the perfect moves, the perfect everything. He posed practically nude on the cover of Sports Illustrated and at 6'6", looked like a stronger version of Hulk Hogan. This man was going to redefine the position forever and every future OL would be compared to him as he set the benchmark. In 1989, Sports Illustrated called him "the best offensive line prospect ever", but he is now considered one of the biggest busts in NFL history.

Once on the Packers squad, he absolutely sucked at football. Perfect body, ideal size and looks, but got pushed around and beaten like a rug by defensive players. After 3 years of lackluster play of his 4-year contract, Green Bay cut him.

Bottom line: Bromley is Bromley and Bromley will always be Bromley and no one else. He could be a bust or he could be a stud or somewhere in between. We don't know until he plays, and it will probably be 3 or 4 years before we can tag him with a description. The Giants scouts thought he fit perfectly in their defensive scheme and after many hours of debate, decided he looked like a guy they could use and his style fit their needs. Now...time will tell.

Also, comparing anyone to Austin makes no sense unless you talk about a guy who missed almost all his college playing years with injuries, then went to the NFL where he spent most of his career on the injured list and barely saw the field. Austin was a Giant for a couple of years and played what? 5 total minutes? Then Miami signed him only to cut him 3 weeks later.

I hate comparing players. I see it all the time, especially in basketball where the talking heads say some 16 year old kid being recruited by all the top schools, "reminds them of James Worthy", or "this kid reminds me of a young Malone" or "this kid coming up makes you think of Rod Strickland".....etc.

No player is exactly like any other player. Everyone is unique and has different skill sets, different body styles, different personalities, different motors, different coordination, etc.

Bromley is going to be exactly like Bromley. Big motor, totally unique, solid lineman who will stuff the line and could surprise with quite a few sacks coming from the inside. Only time will tell.

Early rankings are nonsense. In 1989, the Packers had the second overall pick and chose the player every other team wanted, Tony Mandarich. He was the quintessential offensive lineman to ever come to the NFL (the Wilt Chamberlain, Dr. J, and Michael Jordans of basketball). The perfect body, the perfect moves, the perfect everything. He posed practically nude on the cover of Sports Illustrated and at 6'6", looked like a stronger version of Hulk Hogan. This man was going to redefine the position forever and every future OL would be compared to him as he set the benchmark. In 1989, Sports Illustrated called him "the best offensive line prospect ever", but he is now considered one of the biggest busts in NFL history.

Once on the Packers squad, he absolutely sucked at football. Perfect body, ideal size and looks, but got pushed around and beaten like a rug by defensive players. After 3 years of lackluster play of his 4-year contract, Green Bay cut him.

Bottom line: Bromley is Bromley and Bromley will always be Bromley and no one else. He could be a bust or he could be a stud or somewhere in between. We don't know until he plays, and it will probably be 3 or 4 years before we can tag him with a description. The Giants scouts thought he fit perfectly in their defensive scheme and after many hours of debate, decided he looked like a guy they could use and his style fit their needs. Now...time will tell.

Also, comparing anyone to Austin makes no sense unless you talk about a guy who missed almost all his college playing years with injuries, then went to the NFL where he spent most of his career on the injured list and barely saw the field. Austin was a Giant for a couple of years and played what? 5 total minutes? Then Miami signed him only to cut him 3 weeks later.

So you're saying the kid reminds you of a young Barry Cofield?

I hope Bromley is something. We passed on Will Sutton, Louis Nix, Kyhri Thornton and DaQuan Jones there.

I hope so too.

I know that the scouts made a huge deal out of Aaron Donald because he had 11 sacks for an interior lineman. But that he was small and would get pushed around in the run game.

Louis Nix was considered by all the analysts as the 2nd best lineman, but would fit as a dedicated nose tackle in a 3-4, which doesn't at all fit the needs of the Giants.

Will Sutton had 4 sacks as an interior lineman, but is considered "undersized" and has a questionable work ethic.

Kyhri Thornton is good sized at 6'4" and good at stopping the run. He had 1/2 sack in his final season at Southern Mississippi.

DaQuan Jones is also good sized and a run stuffer. He had zero sacks.

Ra'shede Hageman is the perfect size, and a run stuffer, but even though the analysts were enamored with him, he was considered "raw" and had zero sacks.

Timmy Jernigan was another highly touted nose tackle for a 3-4 defense, but was also considered "undersized", and had zero sacks.

------------------------------

So why perfect sized Bromley who had a reputation for stuffing the run and moving the line backwards while also collecting 10 sacks got such little attention is beyond me....especially the way they fawned over Donald. I suspect a lot of war rooms had Bromley far higher on their board than the consensus talking heads on TV.

I find it hard to believe that all the analysts made a huge deal out of Donald because he had 11 sacks as an interior lineman, yet utterly ignored Bromley's 10 sacks and called him a "pure run stuffer", and Quarles who is also a run stuffer who had 9.5 sacks in the tough SEC.

Time will tell. I suspect that Donald might have a lot harder time transitioning to the NFL because of his light weight and small stature that could get pushed around and if the coach is expecting him to be a sack master, they better hope he can move the big guard in front of him or figure out how to get around him. The offensive lines he'll be facing in the NFL are bigger, faster, and stronger than the OL's he's used to getting around.

Beckham is the guy I'm most excited about... those terrific hands, really the hands and arm length of a much bigger receiver, and then he gets his hips turned upfield so quickly after the catch. If you watch him, he is a YAC guy, an agile guy, a guy that really causes problems because he's so quick in and out of his breaks, so sharp a route runner, plus he has the big time speed where he can blow by you and beat you deep.

He really is going to be a problem to cover, he has attributes of a big receiver yet moves like a small receiver. This guy is so explosive, and if you look around the league, I don't think there is even a good comp for him out there right now. He is a rare receiver. Honestly, maybe a young, smaller, Larry Fitzgerald would be the best comp for him. I think Beckham is going to make a big impact early, and the Giants need him to, because teams aren't going to respect Rueben Randle to pull coverage off of Cruz.

----

The guy Andre Williams is going to be a really good running back, I think, I good complement to Wilson. Williams has the thick lower body that I like to see with quality, durable running backs in the NFL. He kind of reminds me of Zac Stacy in St Louis, maybe a little less lateral agility but also a little more physical.

Andre Williams is a future player for the Giants. When we picked him, it was driving me crazy because in the back of my head, I was thinking, "this guy sounds familiar... sure enough... now I know why... he ran for almost 150 yards at a 5.3 yards per carry against my 'Noles... and here I'm thinking, we have one of the best defenses in the country and we can't stop this guy! Not a lot of RB's ran right through the Seminoles last year. And he wasn't a one-hit wonder... he beat up the 'Noles in 2012 as well, for 20 carries and 102 yards at 5.2 yards per carry... in a game that the 'Noles routed BC 51-7 behind EJ Manuel. You like to see a guy ball out in a game in which your team is being embarrassed. This guy has heart.

---

From what I read, it was very likely that Weston Richburg was going to go somewhere in the 2nd round, so for the Giants, they got their guy, and probably at the right time. And even if he didn't go in the 2nd, he almost assuredly would be gone before the Giants pick at 74. They can say all the right things about Walton and wanting competition, however, this was a need pick, and there was no way the Giants wanted to go into the season HAVING to rely on Walton that heavily. From that perspective, getting what most consider the best player at his position in the draft, you have to feel good that it's a 2nd round pick with not a whole lot of risk. He's a character guy, he's built the way you want your C to be built, he's strong, he's agile. Put on the tape of him against Alabama... he MORE than holds his own against the cream of the crop of the SEC.

---

I had never heard of Jay Bromley until the Giants selected him, and I watched some tape and saw him get caught up in the wash a bunch. But upon closer inspection, the shear number of times he was doubled, and he kept fighting, was impressive to me. He's an intense guy, and appears to be a tough guy. I like tough guys.

----

The rest of the picks, we will see. To be honest, if we hit on 3 players really well in this draft, and I think we will hit on all 4 of the above, I will be very happy. Anything more and I'd be ecstatic.

After the draft, it's very clear that the Giants put a premium on high-character, high work ethic players. I really think those guys are usually, at minimum, glue guys. You have a bunch of players that have personal accountability, and want to come to work, have that internal drive.... when you talk about the heart of a champion, that's what you are talking about. I love this draft the more I look at it and study it. I don't know if we had the best draft of any team (probably not), but I think this draft is going to help make the Giants a better team, and for that, I'm really excited for this haul.

Jernigan had 4.5 sacks last year.

Daquan Jones had 3 sacks.

and Hadgeman had 2.

I used NFLscout.com and they gave different numbers. Either way, it pales in comparison to Bromley and Quarles' sack numbers. And Jernigan is really a nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme. I'm happy with Bromley and I'm convinced other teams also liked him and there was no guarantee he'd be there in the 4th.

and Donald is going to be a beast.

Being as small as he is, I think he'll struggle. Especially when the opposing team is running the ball up the gut. He will get trucked.

Regardless, time will tell. First round busts and "can't miss prospects" are far too numerous to even begin to list. He could end up on that list.

Beckham is the guy I'm most excited about... those terrific hands, really the hands and arm length of a much bigger receiver, and then he gets his hips turned upfield so quickly after the catch. If you watch him, he is a YAC guy, an agile guy, a guy that really causes problems because he's so quick in and out of his breaks, so sharp a route runner, plus he has the big time speed where he can blow by you and beat you deep.

He really is going to be a problem to cover, he has attributes of a big receiver yet moves like a small receiver. This guy is so explosive, and if you look around the league, I don't think there is even a good comp for him out there right now. He is a rare receiver. Honestly, maybe a young, smaller, Larry Fitzgerald would be the best comp for him. I think Beckham is going to make a big impact early, and the Giants need him to, because teams aren't going to respect Rueben Randle to pull coverage off of Cruz.

----

The guy Andre Williams is going to be a really good running back, I think, I good complement to Wilson. Williams has the thick lower body that I like to see with quality, durable running backs in the NFL. He kind of reminds me of Zac Stacy in St Louis, maybe a little less lateral agility but also a little more physical.

Andre Williams is a future player for the Giants. When we picked him, it was driving me crazy because in the back of my head, I was thinking, "this guy sounds familiar... sure enough... now I know why... he ran for almost 150 yards at a 5.3 yards per carry against my 'Noles... and here I'm thinking, we have one of the best defenses in the country and we can't stop this guy! Not a lot of RB's ran right through the Seminoles last year. And he wasn't a one-hit wonder... he beat up the 'Noles in 2012 as well, for 20 carries and 102 yards at 5.2 yards per carry... in a game that the 'Noles routed BC 51-7 behind EJ Manuel. You like to see a guy ball out in a game in which your team is being embarrassed. This guy has heart.

---

From what I read, it was very likely that Weston Richburg was going to go somewhere in the 2nd round, so for the Giants, they got their guy, and probably at the right time. And even if he didn't go in the 2nd, he almost assuredly would be gone before the Giants pick at 74. They can say all the right things about Walton and wanting competition, however, this was a need pick, and there was no way the Giants wanted to go into the season HAVING to rely on Walton that heavily. From that perspective, getting what most consider the best player at his position in the draft, you have to feel good that it's a 2nd round pick with not a whole lot of risk. He's a character guy, he's built the way you want your C to be built, he's strong, he's agile. Put on the tape of him against Alabama... he MORE than holds his own against the cream of the crop of the SEC.

---

I had never heard of Jay Bromley until the Giants selected him, and I watched some tape and saw him get caught up in the wash a bunch. But upon closer inspection, the shear number of times he was doubled, and he kept fighting, was impressive to me. He's an intense guy, and appears to be a tough guy. I like tough guys.

----

The rest of the picks, we will see. To be honest, if we hit on 3 players really well in this draft, and I think we will hit on all 4 of the above, I will be very happy. Anything more and I'd be ecstatic.

After the draft, it's very clear that the Giants put a premium on high-character, high work ethic players. I really think those guys are usually, at minimum, glue guys. You have a bunch of players that have personal accountability, and want to come to work, have that internal drive.... when you talk about the heart of a champion, that's what you are talking about. I love this draft the more I look at it and study it. I don't know if we had the best draft of any team (probably not), but I think this draft is going to help make the Giants a better team, and for that, I'm really excited for this haul.

Agree that any time you get 3 players in the draft that can actually have an impact, you've done well and I agree there's a good chance there'll be 4 who make an impact this year.

The nice thing about Beckham is not only his ability to break open a game, but he's going to draw double teams and it will free up Cruz and it might even give Randall a boost. I'd love to see Randall pull it together and show us something. He should be left alone (I mean, they'll put their worst cover on him) so he should get more looks this year. Last year, every team had figured out that Nicks no longer needed double coverage and that he had lost a step. That put the pressure on Cruz to make circus catches and run crazy routes to shake the coverage that was dedicated to stopping him.

I like this class a lot.

I used NFLscout.com and they gave different numbers. Either way, it pales in comparison to Bromley and Quarles' sack numbers. And Jernigan is really a nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme. I'm happy with Bromley and I'm convinced other teams also liked him and there was no guarantee he'd be there in the 4th.

Being as small as he is, I think he'll struggle. Especially when the opposing team is running the ball up the gut. He will get trucked.

Regardless, time will tell. First round busts and "can't miss prospects" are far too numerous to even begin to list. He could end up on that list.

Sapp was the same size. Hell Patterson who everyone was happy with, and glad we re-signed is around the same size.

Sapp was the same size. Hell Patterson who everyone was happy with, and glad we re-signed is around the same size.

I think he needs to do the same thing as Sapp before being crowned Sapp II.

There is definitely such a thing as underrated and overrated - sometimes by a huge margin. My only argument here is that Bromley was underrated in my personal opinion. And also that I don't think teams rank players the same way that Kiper and Mayock rank them. If they did, there'd never be a surprise and teams wouldn't even need dozens of professional scouts, they could just follow Kiper.

There's an awful lot of hype leading up to the draft and sometimes it's just that, "hype".

Jernigan is not a 3-4 NT.

Bromley is a totally different kind of DT than Donald. A lot of people talk about Donald's size, and totally ignore his explosion off the line and quick feet. This guy blows by Guards before they get a hand on him. Bromley is a guy to occupy blockers, get a good push in the middle when he's not doubled. Donald is an interior menace as a pass rusher, and he'll be better against the run than some are saying. To put it another way, Donald is probably the cleanest, surest bet on the defensive side of the ball in this draft in terms of his game, not to mention his character and makeup, translating to the pro level. There's zero doubt in my mind Donald is going to be a Pro Bowl quality player for the Rams barring some freak injury. Donald is a beast and the Rams now boast maybe the best front 4 in all of football.

Jernigan is not a 3-4 NT.

Again, I use NFL.com for a lot of information. Here's their take.

Strengths

Strong for his size and clogs the middle. Has disruptive ability. Bends his knees and plays with leverage. Able to stack, locate and shed. Wraps and rips down ball carriers. Coordinated hands and feet. Is difficult to engage -- has quick, active paws. Can slap, rip and swim to beat blockers and turns up the heat on passing downs. Good foot athlete for his size -- changes direction well, gives effort in pursuit and ranges outside the box. Will be a 21-year-old rookie.

Weaknesses

Has a fleshy midsection. Lacks ideal height and overall body length. Average get-off. Can be overpowered at the point or neutralized when bigger, longer blockers get into his frame. Limited two-gap ability. Average playing range. Stiff-legged and does not change direction easily, as confirmed by 4.84-second 20-yard shuttle time at the combine (tied for slowest among DTs). Could stand to improve his stamina. Was a rotational player prior to junior season.

Draft Projection

Rounds 1-2 (top 50)

Bottom Line: Slightly undersized, stoutly built, country-strong run stopper with the ability to drop anchor inside an odd front and develop into a solid, 3-4 movement nose tackle. Strength is his calling card despite his relatively modest size.

I'm just a fan and do not know all the college players like some people on here. I read a lot and there's a lot of opposing thoughts depending on which sites you choose to read.

Never heard him listed has a 3-4 NT. He played 1 tech at Florida St in a 4 man front. Most thought he should be a 3 tech and was misused at FSU. He went to a 3-4 team who uses a NT and a pass rushing DT. He's 6'1 298, not ideal for a 0 tech.