SportsWrath

Going on Week 5 of my "Let's use DaMontre Moore as a pass rushing OLB" Vigil

JMFP

My candle is burning low, but I'm holding out hope that the Giants try to get DaMontre Moore out of the field as a pass-rushing (blitz) OLB for a play or two.

I can understand why the Giants are concerned that this might impact their defense, which currently leads the league in points allowed, and is near the basement in rushing yards (29th), yards allowed (21st), etc.

And sure, a team that regularly plays 3 safeties might not be able to handle the shock of using an additional linebacker.

I also realize Moore was "drafted as a DE"....despite the fact that he played most of his college ball as an OLB.

Further, I know that this notion of an explosive player being used to blitz might be too radical.....it's extremely dangerous for an 0-4 team to try something that the opponent may not be expecting.....why mess with this recipe, right?

In addition, I am aware the current NFL rules state that only the opponents of the NY Giants are permitted to exploit mismatches.....so we might get flagged for blitzing DaMontre Moore on a running back.

Anyway, justed wanted folks to know that I'm still bat **** crazy with this idea that DaMontre Moore might improve the talent on defense, and might have value as the hybrid DE/LB that he is.

We have a guy nicknamed da monster and he only plays special teams.

Just one of the reasons you know this team is a mess

It's been a problem for awhile. TC loves the injured, ineffective guy vs. the young stud who we will never get a good look at...except preseason.

It's been a problem for awhile. TC loves the injured, ineffective guy vs. the young stud who we will never get a good look at...except preseason.

Classic case of projection and misplaced empathy on Cheerleaders part... 50% of a half walking vet is better than 100% of an untried young stud... :rolleyes:

Looks like we're going to see more of Moore...finally

Giants Plan to Use More Damontre Moore

Andrew Bruno about an hour ago

Get ready to see more of rookie defensive end Damontre Moore this weekend against the Eagles. With injuries to Jason Pierre-Paul, Linval Joseph, Cullen Jenkins, and Shaun Rodgers, the Giants need an infusion of fresh bodies on the defensive line. It should be noted that Pierre-Paul did practice today and was not listed on the injury report.

Moore, who shined in the Giants' first preseason game before missing almost a month due to a shoulder injury, has only seen some special teams action so far this year. That's going to change this Sunday, according to Tom Coughlin, primarily because of his good performance on special teams so far.

So what was Moore's reaction when he heard he would get an increased role?

I say, OK, Moore said. But I try not to get hung up on it because I like to try to stay hungry. Its like that old saying, A hungry dog hunts the best. So I just try to stay levelheaded and not pay attention to it and keep doing what Ive been doing.

It looks like he's not going to let it go to his head, he's just going to keep going out there and working hard.

Moore thinks he can add in interesting component to the Giants' defense:

Just an eager puppy thats ready to get in there and just go play. Just tell me what to do and Im going in there with open eyes and just running as fast as I can, as hard as I can, and hopefully something happens.

Love the excitement, except right now the Giants sure could use an attack dog instead of a puppy.

http://giantexile.com/posts/17825

We have a guy nicknamed da monster and he only plays special teams.

Just one of the reasons you know this team is a mess

I'm a firm believer your first 2 picks should get significant playing time if not flat-out start in their rookie years... the 3rd as well if the people they're backing up suck major balls as is the case with our DEs. Case in point.. Wilson, thanks to Coughlin's "doghouse" is a rookie again this year.

I'm a firm believer your first 2 picks should get significant playing time if not flat-out start in their rookie years... the 3rd as well if the people they're backing up suck major balls as is the case with our DEs. Case in point.. Wilson, thanks to Coughlin's "doghouse" is a rookie again this year.

Then you would be a horrible GM. These guys have to look 3-4 years down the road. It's why guys like Jonathan Hankins was picked (Linval Joseph, Rogers and Patterson are all soon to be pending free agents) he'll have a so called "red shirt" year and he'll play in year two. Exactly what they did with Joseph in 2010. They did it with Osi too. They do it with alot of drafted players. Kenny Phillips and Terrel Thomas are great examples. Yeah they are high round draft picks...but the guys ahead of them know what the fuck they're doing.

You can't just throw rookies into the fire and say "have at it, kid." that's what separates teams like the Giants and Raiders.

Then you would be a horrible GM. These guys have to look 3-4 years down the road. It's why guys like Jonathan Hankins was picked (Linval Joseph, Rogers and Patterson are all soon to be pending free agents) he'll have a so called "red shirt" year and he'll play in year two. Exactly what they did with Joseph in 2010. They did it with Osi too. They do it with alot of drafted players. Kenny Phillips and Terrel Thomas are great examples. Yeah they are high round draft picks...but the guys ahead of them know what the fuck they're doing.

You can't just throw rookies into the fire and say "have at it, kid." that's what separates teams like the Giants and Raiders.

Agreed about not throwing players out there until they are ready, but umm the Raiders do have a win this season. :surf:

What fire? I said your first and 2nd rounders should see significant time... nothing beats hands on experience... Wilson isn't in his 2nd year.. he's a rookie still due to lack of game time experience... The jets have their DT starting.. why not ours? How much intelligence do you need at DT?

What fire? I said your first and 2nd rounders should see significant time... nothing beats hands on experience... Wilson isn't in his 2nd year.. he's a rookie still due to lack of game time experience... The jets have their DT starting.. why not ours? How much intelligence do you need at DT?

You may be surprised, its a very technical position at the NFL level.

You may be surprised, its a very technical position at the NFL level.

I'm not seeing nothing is required but the best way to learn is hands on... you shouldn't have to sit a guy for years till he's finally ready.. I can understand an OL but even then..if he's a 1st or 2nd rounder, he should play.