SportsWrath

My Early Bird Position Grades

osi724dasack

Grades are based on Depth, Reliability, Playmaking, Potential and Star Power for the 2013 season.

QB: A+

RB: B+ (Wilson is the real deal)

FB: C (Hyno?)

WR: A+

TE: C

OL: C

---

DE: B+

DT: B

LB: C-

CB: B+

S: B

---

K: C

P: A-

KR/PR: B-

ST Coverage: A-

LS: B+

Coaching: B

Offense: A

Defense: B

ST: A

Overall: A-

X Factor: Oline and Safety.

I think TE position will pleasantly surprise you, Osi. Might be a weakness as far as blocking, as it stands right now, but we got some athletic pass catchers on the team right now.

I think our LB's and TE's will be better than you project.

I think our CB's will not be as good as you project and will be our weakest point of our defense and cause for some worry.

I love Eli, but wouldn't give him a A+....more like an A-

Overall I think our offense will be superb this coming season and our defense will be improved. I'm hoping for an 11/12 win season, but that might be a little optimistic. Should be a good year though if everyone stays healthy.

I project the 49'rs to be the winningest team this season and potentially the Super Bowl champs.

I think the OLine will improve this year, provided someone beats deal to start RT. It improved a little last year over 2011, and it was still good enough to win the SB that year.

I also agree that the TEs will be fine this year. Bennet played well, but he wasn't irreplaceable. Add to that the lack of emphasis on TE in this offense, and it really shouldn't be hard to maintain status quo.

I'm not sure how you're giving the defense a "B" at this point--they have a LOT to prove this year on the back of their 2012 effort, and it's far too early to assume that kind of jump.

I think our LB's and TE's will be better than you project.

I think our CB's will not be as good as you project and will be our weakest point of our defense and cause for some worry.

I love Eli, but wouldn't give him a A+....more like an A-

Overall I think our offense will be superb this coming season and our defense will be improved. I'm hoping for an 11/12 win season, but that might be a little optimistic. Should be a good year though if everyone stays healthy.

I project the 49'rs to be the winningest team this season and potentially the Super Bowl champs.

Honestly, I'm going to predict that the 9ers aren't even the best team in their division this year....that's going to go to Seattle.

Honestly, I'm going to predict that the 9ers aren't even the best team in their division this year....that's going to go to Seattle.

The San Francisco News has listed the five teams that the 49'rs call "rivals" this coming season. Cowboys, Packers, Rams, Seahawks, and Raiders. They give the Giants "honorable mention", but not a top 5 rival.

http://goldengatesports.com/2013/06/08/san-francisco-49ers-ranking-their-five-biggest-rivals/

Screw them....I hope we beat them by 40 points this year!

The San Francisco News has listed the five teams that the 49'rs call "rivals" this coming season. Cowboys, Packers, Rams, Seahawks, and Raiders. They give the Giants "honorable mention", but not a top 5 rival.

http://goldengatesports.com/2013/06/08/san-francisco-49ers-ranking-their-five-biggest-rivals/

Screw them....I hope we beat them by 40 points this year!

Can't be a rivalry when we win all the time. Lol.

Grades are based on Depth, Reliability, Playmaking, Potential and Star Power for the 2013 season.

QB: A+

RB: B+ (Wilson is the real deal)

FB: C (Hyno?)

WR: A+

TE: C

OL: C

---

DE: B+

DT: B

LB: C-

CB: B+

S: B

---

K: C

P: A-

KR/PR: B-

ST Coverage: A-

LS: B+

Coaching: B

Offense: A

Defense: B

ST: A

Overall: A-

X Factor: Oline and Safety.

Ok, Osi, even though it's pointless at this time of year, but just for fun...

QB: B Because Eli gave us a B performance last year, and I wouldn't even say B+. He has to be better this year, and I think he will. Thankfully, a "B" is really Eli's floor.

RB: A- If we're just talking about David Wilson, it would be a solid A. But Brown's injury track record is troubling, I am concerned about the depth here behind the first two guys. Wilson is going to make guys look silly this year. By year's end, he will be considered one of the very best at his position in the NFL.

FB: A- Hynoski is a terrific FB, soon will be widely known as one of the best in the NFL. An underrated player, but a very good one.

WR: A+ I think it's fairly safe to assume that both Cruz and Nicks will be ready to go, and I love the depth behind them with Reuben Randle, and Louis Murphy. I think both will be big contributors this year. Career defining year for Jernigan, as well.

TE: B I love the acquisition of Myers. Hopefully, we will begin to see Adrien Robinson blossom into something special this season. Pascoe is versatile and a lunch pail guy that does all the little things, but not a real offensive threat. Who knows what we have with Chase Clement, if he really impresses, Pascoe's job could be in trouble.

OL: C+ But trending in the right direction. Because if I was grading this unit at the end of last season it would be a D. I think the addition of Pugh is one of the more critical ones to this team, and critical that he performs and wins the RT job. I think quality depth is still an issue. There are health concerns with a couple of these guys like Snee and Baas, but if they are fully healthy to start the season, my thought is we'll be very strong in the middle of the line. No concerns at all with Beatty, he's an A- by himself.

DE: B- Seems very odd to be giving this grade to this unit. Tuck has talked a lot about returning to his old form, but we haven't seen it yet, but if he does, he could push this grade higher. His performance is so critical this year. JPP's back surgery is a worry, and without his early contributions, everyone will have to step up. Kiwanuka back to the DE is good. I am not looking for a lot out of Moore early. I don't think he's a guy that comes in right away and blows people away, a little bit of a project, but a good project to have. I like the depth here, there is some "prove it" that needs to happen. Big year for Adrian Tracy.

DT: B I'm concerned about this unit, but think the starters at least can be good. Need a lot out of Linval. Jenkins is a professional, but he's no spring chicken. I really feel Hankins will struggle early, and is a boom or bust player long term. I don't think he's a sure thing at all, and he has A LOT of work to do to be a good pro. If Marvin Austin proves himself this year, and shows why he was picked in the 2nd round, he can really make this a position of strength.

LB: B- Assuming everyone will remain healthy, which is unlikely. I like Connor. When he's not in our lineup, this goes to a C. If (or when, more likely), Rivers ALSO gets hurt, we are talking about a C- and that will be generous. If we are lucky with injuries, this will be a solid, if unspectacular group. If not, this could be another disaster. That said, however unlikely it may be, there are opportunities for guys like Aaron Curry, Spencer Paysinger, and even Mark Herzlich to emerge. I'm not as high on Herzlich as others, but I will concede that every year removed from cancer, there is a possibility he will be a little bit better than the year before. Fun guy to root for, even if I'm skeptical about his potential.

CB: C+ I'm very concerned about this group. For this to be a good unit, both Webster AND Amukamara have to play very well. If that doesn't happen, I hope our offense is going to score a lot of points this season. Amukamara is emerging as a top corner. But Webster needs to return to form. A lot of guys need to be better than the year before. Hosley I like in the nickel. Aaron Ross? He needs to play like the old Aaron Ross (not the one that was hurt all the time). Mostly a collection of maybe's and hope so's here.

S: A As solid a group on this team. Antrel Rolle is the most underappreciated player on this team. Does so much dirty work, the tough duty, really playing like a linebacker a lot of the time, near the line, makes all the tackles. And Stevie Brown gets the glory for sitting in the deep backfield and catching overthrows and tipped balls. But hey... I like that Stevie Brown had a nice year. Turnovers are great. And the two of them are working well together. Obviously, I'm mesmerized by Cooper Taylor's potential. He's still an unknown, but oh, what could be with him. I also like what Will Hill brings, and the 4 of those guys are as good a group as I could hope for on this team.

K: B+ I'm sure Josh Brown wins this job, and I think he upgrades the position. Steady performer.

P: A+ There is maybe only one guy in the NFL I'd rather have over Weatherford, Shane Lechler. More than happy that Steve is our guy.

Pretty good summary Jim...I can't say that I disagree with anything. I might have Herzlich a little higher in my mind than you, but everything else is spot on in my book. I too am worried about the CB position. I've read a lot of good things about Charles James and he's impressing the coaches and especially TC. Hopefully...he turns out to be one of those UDFA that prove he belongs in the NFL.

Regardless...it would sure be nice to see the Giants find a way to put a proven, healthy, CB on the team.

I'm with you there as well. Harvin there adds more firepower, and Russel will probably have a better year than last year. No sophomore slump year for him.