SportsWrath

Diehl Appreciation thread...

Nas

I'll say it... this guy might've lost a step but I love this fucker. He's well spoken... always a class act... took a massive pay cut.. .and now this:

Pugh lined up at right tackle at today's rookie minicamp. He’s expected to push 11-year veteran incumbent David Diehl for a starting place on the Giants' offensive line. Pugh said Diehl texted him right after he was selected by the Giants and told the rookie he would help him in any way he could.

Diehl is right there with Richie as one of my favorite Giants of all time.

From the same article... fun read:

The first order of business for Pugh was to get his first-ever credit card. He did so after reading that veteran right guard Chris Sneed said he had better bring one to take care of his rookie duties, i.e buying donuts and dinner for the offensive line.

"I don't know what I have to do but I'm ready for it," Pugh said with a smile. "I was going to get one anyway but I expediated the process."

Linebacker Aaron Curry, the No. 4 pick overall in 2009 by Seattle, watched practice. He arrived Thursday night with team officials and will work out for the club later today.

“We’ll see where it goes,” Giants coach Tom Coughlin said.

The Giants brought in a whopping 35 veteran and rookie tryout players. Usually, teams invite only a handful. They have 63 players total in camp, minus rookie free agent tight end Chase Clement, who failed his physical.

Coughlin said that although most of those players won’t be invited to training camp, they’ll be on the Giants’ “short list” in case someone gets hurt or the team needs depth.

Coughlin refused to say what weight the team has assigned to second-round pick, DT Hankins, who played at 325 pounds last season at Ohio State.

“He has to be a big strong kid for where he plays,” Coughlin said.

David Diehl is on my list of great NY Giant offensive linemen in my lifetime. He was never a favorite, under-rated, and took care of business. People complain about him as if he was a first rounder and forget he's that fifth round project that played tackle and guard for 153 games.

David Diehl is on my list of great NY Giant offensive linemen in my lifetime. He was never a favorite, under-rated, and took care of business. People complain about him as if he was a first rounder and forget he's that fifth round project that played tackle and guard for 153 games.

Agreed....a great Giant, who always busted his tail.

good post Nas .....i agree .....DD has been a great Giant.

When he took over at LT from Luke he did a geat job in keeping Eli safe and upright.......and we went on to win 2 Lombardis.

He has never cost us the Earth .....he has worked hard ....and taken pay cuts and position move with dignity as he slowed down.

Hope he sticks around for a while.

regards

UK

I'll say it... this guy might've lost a step but I love this fucker. He's well spoken... always a class act... took a massive pay cut.. .and now this:

Diehl is right there with Richie as one of my favorite Giants of all time.

Agreed....a great Giant, who always busted his tail.

good post Nas .....i agree .....DD has been a great Giant.

When he took over at LT from Luke he did a geat job in keeping Eli safe and upright.......and we went on to win 2 Lombardis.

He has never cost us the Earth .....he has worked hard ....and taken pay cuts and position move with dignity as he slowed down.

Hope he sticks around for a while.

regards

UK

He is great future coaching material...he seems to be pretty even keeled. If not his screen presence could definitely get him a seat in the booth... a true team player.

I always thought Diehl was far more valuable than he came across. He was the prototypical 'lunch pail' guy who came to work, did his job, and maybe made some mistakes here or there, but all in all, was a huge contribution to our success. His versatility to play any offensive line position was severely underrated and underappreciated.

Why is this thread not getting a lot more response than this? This is abysmal.. totally unacceptable (throws a chair) :rules:

Okay Naz...I agree. Deihl has been a stellar Giant. But like all offensive lineman, they don't get a lot of glory and the better they are, the less attention they get. Once he retires, he'll be missed, but will always be in the hearts of many fans.

Okay Naz...I agree. Deihl has been a stellar Giant. But like all offensive lineman, they don't get a lot of glory and the better they are, the less attention they get. Once he retires, he'll be missed, but will always be in the hearts of many fans.

I'd like to summon Jim, BB25, and Fish for questioning :rules: ::Soup Nazi::

Diehl is washed up and sucks assholes.

He is a human turnstyle at LT, LG, C, RG, and RT

Was our worst starter in both SB wins.

He's a great Giant, but not anymore. I want him cut. Plus he's a drunk driver with the resources to never have to do it.

Most teams spend huge amounts of money on' big name' Left Tackles ....and end up having no CAP space . DD has cost us very little over the last decade in real terms ...and yet he has been an admirable LT and had huge versatility elsewhere. You could argue that we have been able to afford Eli partly because DD was cheap ! ( remember when False Start Luke went and we were all terrified that Eli would be flattened ) ......not only did Eli remain upright and win 2 Superbowls ......we forgot about Luke straight away ...we had very few Offensive Line penalties and very few sacks recorded against us. DD I salute you sir , regards UK

Most teams spend huge amounts of money on' big name' Left Tackles ....and end up having no CAP space . DD has cost us very little over the last decade in real terms ...and yet he has been an admirable LT and had huge versatility elsewhere. You could argue that we have been able to afford Eli partly because DD was cheap ! ( remember when False Start Luke went and we were all terrified that Eli would be flattened ) ......not only did Eli remain upright and win 2 Superbowls ......we forgot about Luke straight away ...we had very few Offensive Line penalties and very few sacks recorded against us. DD I salute you sir , regards UK

Well said, UK

OK Nas--

He was the only bright spot from that 2003 oline, especially after Seubert was injured. (Well, maybe Chris Bober, but O'Hara definitely outshone him.) He replaced a guy who was drafted in the first round to be a left tackle for us; and proved without a doubt to be an upgrade at the position, and an integral part of one of the finer offensive lines in the league at its peak. It's not an exaggeration to say that he was the best LT we've had since the days of Jumbo Elliot, and we can only hope that Beatty gives us as much stability and consistency as Diehl did over the years. True, he wasn't the best in the league, but he did exactly what we needed the LT to do.

Watching him now, for the past season or so, puts me in the same melancholy I felt the last few seasons that LT played--he's a guy that intellectually I know should retire, but the fan inside me doesn't want to see a great Giant go.

OK Nas--

He was the only bright spot from that 2003 oline, especially after Seubert was injured. (Well, maybe Chris Bober, but O'Hara definitely outshone him.) He replaced a guy who was drafted in the first round to be a left tackle for us; and proved without a doubt to be an upgrade at the position, and an integral part of one of the finer offensive lines in the league at its peak. It's not an exaggeration to say that he was the best LT we've had since the days of Jumbo Elliot, and we can only hope that Beatty gives us as much stability and consistency as Diehl did over the years. True, he wasn't the best in the league, but he did exactly what we needed the LT to do.

Watching him now, for the past season or so, puts me in the same melancholy I felt the last few seasons that LT played--he's a guy that intellectually I know should retire, but the fan inside me doesn't want to see a great Giant go.

Thanks Fish. What irks is me some fans think players shouldn't get old.... yes we know the guy lost a step and on his way out... and he knows it too... seeing him being a great teammate... the total fucking opposite of the square-jawed urinal mouth Tiki.... I really appreciate this guy. I remember my little nephew (now 13 about to turn 14 on the 28th) when he was 7 - 9 years old always telling me he wants to be as big as David Diehl and play for the Giants... too bad he lives in TN now and if he was to come visit me this summer I'd take him to Training Camp so he can finally get to meet Diehl.