SportsWrath

Make it so.

fishgutmartyr

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/01/giants_lb_coach_jim_herrmann_i.html

Giants linebackers coach Jim Herrmann is interviewing for the Eagles defensive coordinator job, a person with knowledge of the Eagles' interest confirmed. That person requested anonymity because the team did not make its candidates public.

A whole shopping-list of developmental failures over the past 4 years (at least 6 draftees, not one could start on our squads!? Even Sheridan had developed Goff into playing for a while.). Runs the worst defensive unit on the field on a consistent basis. Can't even get consistent play from Michael Boley--who isn't all pro by any stretch, but shouldn't be disappearing for games at a time.

Pull the trigger, Philly.

That, or we havent had a starting LB since Pierce and Mitchell were playing for us.

Seriously, Goff wasnt even that good of a LB, he just showed some flashes.

Blackburn has been the most reliable LB the Giants have had, which is like saying Trent Dilfer is your best QB.

http://www.nj.com/gi...herrmann_i.html

A whole shopping-list of developmental failures over the past 4 years (at least 6 draftees, not one could start on our squads!? Even Sheridan had developed Goff into playing for a while.). Runs the worst defensive unit on the field on a consistent basis. Can't even get consistent play from Michael Boley--who isn't all pro by any stretch, but shouldn't be disappearing for games at a time.

Pull the trigger, Philly.

I agree 100%, Fish.

That, or we havent had a starting LB since Pierce and Mitchell were playing for us.

Seriously, Goff wasnt even that good of a LB, he just showed some flashes.

Blackburn has been the most reliable LB the Giants have had, which is like saying Trent Dilfer is your best QB.

Exactly. And with that number of draft picks, including a second-rounder, he couldn't develop a single starter? With such a weak starting lineup?

True, he didn't have high picks to play with. On the other hand, these kids aren't exactly trying to break into a Taylor, Carson, Reasons, and Banks lineup, either.

Exactly. And with that number of draft picks, including a second-rounder, he couldn't develop a single starter? With such a weak starting lineup?

True, he didn't have high picks to play with. On the other hand, these kids aren't exactly trying to break into a Taylor, Carson, Reasons, and Banks lineup, either.

The second rounder was Sintim, a 3-4 LB that JR thought we could plug into a 4-3.

Let's take a look at the rest of these kids that could of developed.

2011, Greg Jones and Williams, both still with the team, rotational players and special team players. However both sixth round picks.

2010. Phillip Dilliard, LOL WHO? Fourth round pick, I dont even think he is on a team.

2009, Sintim, Shouldnt of been drafted to a 4-3 team.

2008, Kehl and Goff, Kehl is a journy man no team wants and Goff has been injured.

2007, DeOssi, Long snapper, special teams player.

2004, Reggie Torbor, Journyman, not a starter.

In the last ten seasons, the Giants never drafted a LB higher then the fourth round, expect for Sintim.

Honestly how man of these guys went on to do anything with their career? If anything I would say the scouting department needs to learn what to look for in a LB.

The second rounder was Sintim, a 3-4 LB that JR thought we could plug into a 4-3.

Let's take a look at the rest of these kids that could of developed.

2011, Greg Jones and Williams, both still with the team, rotational players and special team players. However both sixth round picks.

2010. Phillip Dilliard, LOL WHO? Fourth round pick, I dont even think he is on a team.

2009, Sintim, Shouldnt of been drafted to a 4-3 team.

2008, Kehl and Goff, Kehl is a journy man no team wants and Goff has been injured.

2007, DeOssi, Long snapper, special teams player.

2004, Reggie Torbor, Journyman, not a starter.

In the last ten seasons, the Giants never drafted a LB higher then the fourth round, expect for Sintim.

Honestly how man of these guys went on to do anything with their career? If anything I would say the scouting department needs to learn what to look for in a LB.

You forgot to mention Herzlich, Paysinger, and Adrian Tracy, although those weren't draft choices.

Williams had a lot of playing time in 2011 and did pretty well. But hasn't progressed.Although he had injuries this season.

Paysinger had some potential, But he hasn't progressed.

Tracy actually made the PS as a defensive end, and we were supposedly stacked at that position this year. Why do that if he didn't have some ability?

Herzlich looked ok in 2011 until his injury, but hasn't progressed. Although, I'll grant you, if you're too slow to usurp Blackburn...

Sintim--yes, he was a little out of position, but Herrmann couldn't get at least a little play from the guy? It's not like he was shifting units like Kiwanuka.

There is a whole lot of "hasn't progressed" going on in that squad. There is some raw talent there--so while it's could be a combination of things, like desire and ability to learn, there are too many instances of no progression to put all the blame on the players.

Again, I'm not saying these players should be pro-bowlers. But they should still be more of a factor than special teams.

You forgot to mention Herzlich, Paysinger, and Adrian Tracy, although those weren't draft choices.

Williams had a lot of playing time in 2011 and did pretty well. But hasn't progressed.Although he had injuries this season.

Paysinger had some potential, But he hasn't progressed.

Tracy actually made the PS as a defensive end, and we were supposedly stacked at that position this year. Why do that if he didn't have some ability?

Herzlich looked ok in 2011 until his injury, but hasn't progressed. Although, I'll grant you, if you're too slow to usurp Blackburn...

Sintim--yes, he was a little out of position, but Herrmann couldn't get at least a little play from the guy? It's not like he was shifting units like Kiwanuka.

There is a whole lot of "hasn't progressed" going on in that squad. There is some raw talent there--so while it's could be a combination of things, like desire and ability to learn, there are too many instances of no progression to put all the blame on the players.

Again, I'm not saying these players should be pro-bowlers. But they should still be more of a factor than special teams.

And again, any of these guys that have left the Giants gone on to do anything else besides sit on other teams practice squads?

If any of them had any talent to be a starting LB in the NFL then they would have been atleast picked up and used by another team.

So far the only successful LBs the Giants have had in the last 10 season have been FAs brought in, i.e. Pierce, Mitchell.

I'm not saying coaching couldnt be a problem but when you get LBs who talent level is that of a rock, then what can you expect to do with them? No level of coaching can make up for the fact that none of these guys drafted could play starting LB in the NFL with the expection of maybe Goff and Williams.

What's depressing is looking at the niners and seeing how they have Willis who's a rock and then they pull Bowman out of their ass and now they got 2 other kids on there that are good players. Man they even look like fucking linebackers. Fish has a point here, you should have at least gotten one guy. Jacquan Williams looks like he could have progressed if he wasn't injured, but you know what, once his rookie contract expires, don't expect him to stick around.

What's depressing is looking at the niners and seeing how they have Willis who's a rock and then they pull Bowman out of their ass and now they got 2 other kids on there that are good players. Man they even look like fucking linebackers. Fish has a point here, you should have at least gotten one guy. Jacquan Williams looks like he could have progressed if he wasn't injured, but you know what, once his rookie contract expires, don't expect him to stick around.

Willis and Bowman were both picked before the fourth round.

Like I said maybe if we get a kid who can actually play LB in the NFL then we wouldnt have this problem, instead of late round nobodies.

i get that our philosophy is rush the passer and try to create turnovers and that means not paying a premium price for linebackers but couldn't they at least give us one

The absurd thing is that Fewell is a Cover-2 (Tampa-2) disciple like Love Smith. That system requires good linebackers that can run and shed blocks on occasion.

But when you look at personnel, it's a joke.....the Bears have Lance Briggs and Urlacher to make their system go. Even Nick Roach is decent.

The Giants have guys who can't run, hit, shoot gaps or shed blocks.....but other than that, they are perfect cover-2 linebackers.

Willis and Bowman were both picked before the fourth round.

Like I said maybe if we get a kid who can actually play LB in the NFL then we wouldnt have this problem, instead of late round nobodies.

What about Rivers from Cincy? He was a 1st round pick, it was supposed to be a clean slate deal.

I get your point about lack of talent, but at the same time, the coaching staff needs to get something out of these guys, too. Herzlich should be much farther along than he is now, and Rivers should have shown something.

I'm not letting Reese off the hook at all.....I give him a "D" grade with respect to how he treats the position....fuck, we're lucky someone didn't sign Blackburn for a song while Reese dithered over chump change.

a couple things.

greg jones is NOT still with the team.

and Tracy was a draft pick, 6th round, but still a draft pick, and he wasn't on the practice squad, he was on the regular roster.

Sorry, PDub--felt a little too lazy to look it up.

And Blue--not really disagreeing about who we're picking. I just don't feel that much is being done to develop our picks, even if they were good. And who's going to pick up our damaged goods anyway, knowing that they're going to have to basically start from scratch with a guy 3-4 years into their careers?

Sorry, PDub--felt a little too lazy to look it up.

And Blue--not really disagreeing about who we're picking. I just don't feel that much is being done to develop our picks, even if they were good. And who's going to pick up our damaged goods anyway, knowing that they're going to have to basically start from scratch with a guy 3-4 years into their careers?

no sorry needed, i can remember weird stuff but forget easy stuff at the same time. my current woman laughs at me because i could run down most of the giants roster over the years and the colleges they went to and when they were drafted but i can't remember the names of any of her friends.