SportsWrath

Brandon Jacobs- Same Clown, different circus

fringe

October 11, 2012

Jacobs runs a reverse: Says getting healthy trumps facing Giants

Jacobsinjury.jpg

It sounds as if someone - might rhyme with "Scarbaugh" - spoke with Brandon Jacobsbetween yesterday and today.

The big running back struck a decidedly different tone today than on Wednesday when he toldUSA Today he was healthy enough to be playing and was frustrated he hadn't gotten on the field this season. Today he said that getting healthy and being productive later in the season trumped everything, including facing his former team, the Giants, on Sunday.

Jacobs said he spoke with coach Jim Harbaugh a couple of times in the last two days.

"We ironed it out," he said. "We got it done. I understand where coach is coming from. Coach understands me with him playing football and understanding the athlete and the competitive nature of wanting to get out and help the team win. And not only that, against a former team. But in this case, the former team isn't important. What's is important is the long run."

Jacobs repeatedly said he had a "rare opportunity" to get 100 percent healthy after suffering a knee injury during an Aug. 18 preseason game.

"And with me being down for the last seven weeks, I've got to work myself back into playing shape," Jacobs said. "I've got to get myself mentally ready to go out and be able to perform and help my team win. Right now, could I go out and play? Yes. But would it be smart? No."

On Wednesday he told USA Today that he could have played against the Jets and Bills. He returned to practice the week before the Jets game and was a full participant in practice leading up to the Bills game. If he didn't play against the Giants, with whom he spent his first seven seasons? "It would disappoint me a lot," he told the paper. "But like I said, it's not my call."

Later today, perhaps channeling his head coach, Jacobs said: "There's not a lot of guys in the league who are 100 percent healthy. But a lot of those guys are playing because they have no choice but to play. They have to. In my case, I don't have to."

Jacobs also noted that he was injured when the 49ers made their final roster moves last month. The team has three other tailbacks, and it was obvious that by keeping him he figured into their long-term plans.

"That says a lot for this organization," he said. "And I'm going take the opportunity they're giving me to get myself 100 percent. And to get down deep in the season in December, January and February."

-- Matt Barrows

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/10/jacobs-runs-a-reverse-says-getting-healthy-trumps-facing-giants.html#storylink=cpy

I'll always be a Jacobs fan.

Why? :05-mafia:

You know as much as I love the feisty little guy who plays big (Bradshaw, Barry Sanders Shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence of course), I have a certain disdain (not hatred) for the big guy who play small.

Why? :05-mafia:

You know as much as I love the feisty little guy who plays big (Bradshaw, Barry Sanders Shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence of course), I have a certain disdain (not hatred) for the big guy who play small.

This is why: http://www.nj.com/gi...per_bowl_1.html

No Jacobs = No David Tyree = No Super Bowl XLII

I'll always be grateful.

I always loved the quote from Bob Sanders about Jacobs: "When you see that guy comming at you... You start to think about your kids man." :LMAO:

In his prime, he was a beast.....then every team starting chopping him off at the knees.

9 carries in Superbowl 46.

Intangibles or not, when you have a guy that size and with all his talk off the field, 9 carries is pretty weak.

They may have trusted him in Superbowl 42, but by 46, not near as much and with good reason.

Tiki, BJ, Shockey - all of them helped make the Giants of today. They all gave us their best years. We should just thank them. If they gave their better years elsewhere then its diff. But they all gave their best years to the Giants. We should all like and respect them

9 carries in Superbowl 46.

Intangibles or not, when you have a guy that size and with all his talk off the field, 9 carries is pretty weak.

They may have trusted him in Superbowl 42, but by 46, not near as much and with good reason.

That's Gilbride's call....not Jacobs, so I'm not going to blame him because Gilbride overworks Bradshaw. Jacobs is gone and Gilbride is still running Bradshaw the same way.

Tiki, BJ, Shockey - all of them helped make the Giants of today. They all gave us their best years. We should just thank them. If they gave their better years elsewhere then its diff. But they all gave their best years to the Giants. We should all like and respect them

+1

That's Gilbride's call....not Jacobs, so I'm not going to blame him because Gilbride overworks Bradshaw. Jacobs is gone and Gilbride is still running Bradshaw the same way.

we're still winning. the fact that the 9ers got him for short yardage proves they didn't look at too much film. i think they realized what they got when he got there. putting aside the injury, of course. which is part of what he is.

I have respect for all those guys and don't hate on them for what they have done after they have moved on from the Giants.

I thought Shockey was going to have a lot better of a career in a pass heavy team with the Saints.

I'm just saying I'm surprised Jacobs thought he was going to get more carries with a guy like Frank Gore on the team, maybe his agent lied to him at some point or someone lied to his agent but to think he is going to take carries away from Gore is kind of stupid.

Joe, if he was better than Bradshaw, he would be carrying the ball more. He wasn't and hadn't been for some time, and the fact is that the Giants gave Jacobs carries earlier in his career that probably should have gone to Bradshaw because as a team, they hung onto the idea that Jacobs was someday just going to start demolishing defenses. And if I'm correct, the guy behind who got those carries was Gilbride.

I'm not really sure how Gilbride is overworking Bradshaw right now to be honest. Bradshaw has half the carries of the league leaders.