SportsWrath

Eagles are kicking the tires on Jeremy Shockey and Visante Shianco

BleedinBlue

Corey Webster is one of the top cover corners in the NFL... he's just often overshadowed by the DE's on this team. In the two games against the Giants last year, Jackson had 8 catches for 118 yards, no TDs. In the first game he had 2 catches for 30 yards. Jackson is fast. But our defense has done a good job on him.

McCoy is one of the best players in the NFL. He's the one that can give any team problems. But Vick... no. He's shifty and fast, I get it. The problem for you guys is, he's not particular adept at reading defenses. It's about containment with him. Giants did a good job of that last season. And granted, you put Jacquian up against Vick, or any other 1 on 1 match up like that, and Vick is going to win a good number of times. But all Jacquian has to do is get Vick moving laterally, slow him down a bit. Because it's not a 1 on 1 thing we're talking. With the athletes the Giants have, they are going to have a player or players beat their blocker most of the time. You can double JPP... and he can still beat the double, and then you have Tuck one on one. You slow Vick down a little, keep containment, and then the big hit is coming... and we all know he doesn't take the hits well.

I think Vick ended last year on a high note. The defense, as you said, came around. A lot of the talk was about Castillo letting Asomugha and Cromartie play press/man towards the end of the year, instead of the off-coverage, read and react style (us Giants fans are very familiar with that defense). I know that Nnamdi, if he is allowed to play to his strengths, will return to form. As everyone knows, Eli doesn't need a big window, and Cruz is nearly uncoverable. You can bracket (double) Cruz and single cover Nicks with Asomugha if you want. In fact, that's probably what I would do if I was coaching an opposing defense. But Eli can still beat you, and if David Wilson is what I think he is... guess what? We have our own version of Shady McCoy... and that adds a whole other dimension that we didn't have last season.

As for Young beating the Giants last year. I maintain, as I did last season, that our DC, as did yours, was going through a little learning process with this team. Young exploited, on multiple occasions, a 3 man rush look (8 in coverage), that allowed him to be comfortable in the pocket and wait for a man to come open... which was effective because nobody can cover effectively for 6 seconds and longer. And we had an undrafted rookie playing middle linebacker who was a huge liability in pass coverage, as well, that came back to hurt us. The go-ahead TD pass to Kevin Curtis, I think it was, was against that 3 man rush look. Down the stretch and in the playoffs, that strategy was abandoned by Perry Fewell and I think he learned that it doesn't play to our strength and is ineffective. There was much debate about this on this site after that game and I listed statistics on how wildly successful Young was against that look vs. the standard 4 man rush or a blitz package.

I expect the Eagles to be tough as they are every year, but I don't think many teams realize that the team that just won the Super Bowl is poised to be even better, more potent, more explosive, and more athletic with guys like Wilson, Rueben Randle, and Martellus Bennett taking the place of Jacobs, Manningham, and Jake Ballard (one of the most unathletic and slow TE's in football last year).

And as I mentioned, JPP is drawing comparisons to Reggie White... a comparison that myself and another poster here made after his rookie season (that was you, right CrazedDogs?), and that comparison is now being made by his own teammate, Chris Canty. His peers voted him #24 on NFL Network's Top 100.... this just after his sophomore season. Many of his NFL peers haven't even been on the same field with this guy... yet he was voted #24... that's because a lot of players know what us Giants' fans already know. He's the most unblockable, dominant defensive player in the NFL right NOW, and he is just going into his 3rd season. Amazing. You know how many players had to have voted him in the top 10 to get a ranking that high?

Vick doesn't scare the Giants. He's going to have to make big strides in his ability as a pocket passer to beat the Giants this season... and even if he does, he will still need to prove it over a 16 game schedule and avoid the injury bug. Because if he doesn't, it's Trent Edwards or Mike Kafka time.

TRENT EDWARDS WILL LEAD THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES TO THEIR FIRST SUPERBOWL VICTORY!

How's that for a headline? :)

JPP is no Reggie White...

not yet anyways.

Regular season bravado, as always. Us around here at this board, we realize the season is a mixture of both the regular season schedule and the playoffs.

Lay off the ESPN pipe.

And Vince Young has a history of beating us, that's nothing new. I would have rather have had your dynasty-builder, Vick, starting, because we nearly always beat him.

Regardless, that team is one of the most piss-poorly ran teams in the NFC. They could have been so much more back in the 2000s, but, alas, due to piss-poor drafting, poor-management, hanging by, and onto certain quarterbacks wayyyy too long, piss poor game planning and coaching when it really matters---like the playoffs--and a general aura of losing that permeates the entire city, your team will never be more than the bitch-boys of the NFC East to the likes of the Giants and even the Cowboys. Hence, you see them busting out the desperation cologne year after pathetic year and it culminates in them revamping a GOOD TEAM during a shortened, controversy-filled offseason. Then, you see them standing around like...."durrrr....we just don't KNOW what happened!" like the entire sports nation couldn't have seen it coming (we certainly see it happen every year to the Redskins). Again, piss-poor, middle-of-the-road, classless, organization.

Still chapped about all the times we knocked you out huh? I don't blame you. At least you'll recover quickly after this season.

TRENT EDWARDS WILL LEAD THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES TO THEIR FIRST SUPERBOWL VICTORY!

How's that for a headline? :)

JPP is no Reggie White...

not yet anyways.

He led the NFL in tackles among defensive lineman. As a sophomore player... and had 16.5 sacks. Not to mention all the tipped balls at the line... and I'm not talking about the one that he tipped in the Cowboys game on the FG that sealed the victory. He gave put a hurting on Vick already last year, and his tipped passes frustrated Tom Brady in the Super Bowl. He did all these things sharing some reps with Osi. And early on, Tuck was playing at a diminished level with the neck injury, and JPP was absorbing all the doubles, and still killing it. There is not a defensive player in the NFL right now as dominating as JPP... and everybody still says he's still raw, still learning. Year 3 he explodes. But even if all he does is maintain his performance from last season, he'd be a Hall of Famer. Be sure you watch JPP this year. You'll be watching a guy that will be considered one of the best to ever play the position of DE.

How's Brandon Graham working out? :laugh:

He led the NFL in tackles among defensive lineman. As a sophomore player... and had 16.5 sacks. Not to mention all the tipped balls at the line... and I'm not talking about the one that he tipped in the Cowboys game on the FG that sealed the victory. He gave put a hurting on Vick already last year, and his tipped passes frustrated Tom Brady in the Super Bowl. He did all these things sharing some reps with Osi. And early on, Tuck was playing at a diminished level with the neck injury, and JPP was absorbing all the doubles, and still killing it. There is not a defensive player in the NFL right now as dominating as JPP... and everybody still says he's still raw, still learning. Year 3 he explodes. But even if all he does is maintain his performance from last season, he'd be a Hall of Famer. Be sure you watch JPP this year. You'll be watching a guy that will be considered one of the best to ever play the position of DE.

Dudes an animal and even though he plays for the wrong team, I still enjoy watching him play. I know some of you guys here are pure bred fan boys, but I'm a football fan first and an Eagles fan second.

Dudes an animal and even though he plays for the wrong team, I still enjoy watching him play. I know some of you guys here are pure bred fan boys, but I'm a football fan first and an Eagles fan second.

Have to admit, I'm a pretty big Giants' fan. But I am also an objective observer. I've been a huge critic of players on our team, some of them that are beloved by other fans (like David Diehl). I'm also a big fan of football in general. But I know special when I see it. And JPP is special. I just hope the Giants can afford to re-sign him for 2014 and beyond. They will have to back up a Brink's truck to his door.

Still chapped about all the times we knocked you out huh? I don't blame you. At least you'll recover quickly after this season.

I would lose to the Eagles twice a season if it meant playoffs every year and no lost NFC Championship games.....ever. Wait a second....

OK, Fine...

but he is still no Reggie White IMO.

Brandon is a beast... comparable to Reggie White. ;)

Perfect example of a fan boy. Thanks for posting this. :banana:

Yeah, because I love championships and you love offseason signings and meaningless regular season wins.

More like, I don't care that you've won that last whatever out of whatever when we historically have the lead in that rivalry and have experienced far more success than your franchise, anyway.

Yeah, because I love championships and you love offseason signings and meaningless regular season wins.

More like, I don't care that you've won that last whatever out of whatever when we historically have the lead in that rivalry and have experienced far more success than your franchise, anyway.

You remind me of a typical cowballs fan. Always citing history. Do you enjoy watching old punt returns too? Here's MY favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUr_oXh6h_o

:LMAO:

You remind me of a typical cowballs fan. Always citing history. Do you enjoy watching old punt returns too? Here's MY favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUr_oXh6h_o

:LMAO:

You're the one who cited history, broski, talking about regular season wins and the few times the Eagles knocked the Giants out of the playoffs. I'm simply responding. Keep up.

I'd rather be worried about my team getting through the other 14 games of the regular season than a Giants-Eagles rivalry that is meaningless come playoff time....unless that is, we are facing each other in them or the games mean the difference between playoffs or sitting home =. The split with your team last year didn't hurt our team and both games were, as always, well played. One could argue the Giants winning just the one game between the two kept the Eagles home. It's all pretty relative.

Personally, I tend to agree with what someone (Gorilla, perhaps?) said in this thread....that Andy Reid has Tom Coughlin's number....the games are normally one score games that could have gone either way and the teams are normally pretty evenly matched. But that's neither here nor there

My bad. I thought you were the one who posted this when you first joined the conversation:

"The biggest bone-headed moves of last year, you mean. No team that replaces that many starters with free agents, implements an offensive line coach who has no idea what he's doing as defensive coordinator, during a shortened offseason, will have any level of success."

I'd rather be worried about my team getting through the other 14 games of the regular season than a Giants-Eagles rivalry that is meaningless come playoff time....unless that is, we are facing each other in them or the games mean the difference between playoffs or sitting home =. The split with your team last year didn't hurt our team and both games were, as always, well played. One could argue the Giants winning just the one game between the two kept the Eagles home. It's all pretty relative.

Personally, I tend to agree with what someone (Gorilla, perhaps?) said in this thread....that Andy Reid has Tom Coughlin's number....the games are normally one score games that could have gone either way and the teams are normally pretty evenly matched. But that's neither here nor there

And I'd argue that our season was over after the Bears game.

My bad. I thought you were the one who posted this when you first joined the conversation:

"The biggest bone-headed moves of last year, you mean. No team that replaces that many starters with free agents, implements an offensive line coach who has no idea what he's doing as defensive coordinator, during a shortened offseason, will have any level of success."

hahahahahahahaha, I apologize, all this time I thought this board was for football-related discussion! I didn't realize it was YOU all this time that was determining the course of conversations! YOU that determined that discussion of the past season was off-limits and such ancient "history".

Listen man, you're the one that sounds butt-hurt about your team.

This guy is funny, what, is he like the Eagles message board's version of Jack Stroud? Are you guys serious with this clown?

And I'd argue that our season was over after the Bears game.

Yet, had you continued to dominate the series, like the "history" that YOU brought up, it wouldn't have ever came to that.

hahahahahahahaha, I apologize, all this time I thought this board was for football-related discussion! I didn't realize it was YOU all this time that was determining the course of conversations! YOU that determined that discussion of the past season was off-limits and such ancient "history".

Listen man, you're the one that sounds butt-hurt about your team.

This guy is funny, what, is he like the Eagles message board's version of Jack Stroud? Are you guys serious with this clown?

No, I'm good. Can't wait for the season to start. I was just referring to your comment about me being the one who talks of the past. You remember... Keeping up and all? :D

Yet, had you continued to dominate the series, like the "history" that YOU brought up, it wouldn't have ever came to that.

Look man, obviously you wanna ride my nuts. Fine and dandy, but the only history I brought up was in response to another poster regarding our defensive moves last year. Call it what you like, clearly you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Look man, obviously you wanna ride my nuts. Fine and dandy, but the only history I brought up was in response to another poster regarding our defensive moves last year. Call it what you like, clearly you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

hahaha, ya, because I shared my honest opinion on the disaster that is the Eagles franchise and management, and, like I said, you got all butt-hurt. Poor likkle baby.

All you've got is Vince Young and Desean Jackson punt return that you like to return to, yet you call ME out for bringing up "history" by mentioning ummm, championships......an event that occurred LAST FUCKING SEASON, ya dumbshit.

hahaha, ya, because I shared my honest opinion on the disaster that is the Eagles franchise and management, and, like I said, you got all butt-hurt. Poor likkle baby.

Cool story bro. I'll come lookin for ya after the season is under way this year. Then I'll squat over your head and rub my filthy disgusting arsehole all over your fat ugly face all the while saying I told you so over and over again. Now GTFO of my thread fan boy. :laugh:

Cool story bro. I'll come lookin for ya after the season is under way this year. Then I'll squat over your head and rub my filthy disgusting arsehole all over your fat ugly face all the while saying I told you so over and over again. Now GTFO of my thread fan boy. :laugh:

:laugh: