SportsWrath

Nicks confident he'll be ready for training camp

Treehugger

Hakeem Nicks says he'll be on field for training camp

• By Dan Hanzus
  • Writer
  • Published: June 25, 2012 at 04:15 p.m.
  • Updated: June 25, 2012 at 04:39 p.m.

Hakeem Nicks remains determined to be on the field with his New York Giants teammates when training camp commences on July 26.

In an interview with WFNZ-AM in Charlotte this weekend, the standout wide receiver said he's out of his walking boot and will soon begin running.

"Definitely making training camp. I start running in about two weeks, but the coaches don't really want me to force the issue right now, so I still haven't started running yet," Nicks said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. "They want me to just take my time with it -- they feel like that's what's best. So right now I'm just taking my time with it. … But I'll definitely be ready for the season."

Nicks injured the foot during OTAs last month. He knew he was going on the shelf before he ever got near an X-ray machine.

"Yeah, I know right away. I felt it. I heard it in my body. It was like a little snap on the side of my foot. I knew it right away," he said. "I walked off the field, didn't nobody even know. I just walked off the field and told the trainers on the side, 'I think I just broke a bone in my foot.' "

With Mario Manningham now with the San Francisco 49ers, the Giants need Nicks to perform at the high level that made him Eli Manning's favorite target in 2011. Foot injuries can be tricky, so it would behoove Nicks not to rush the process unnecessarily.

This is not good news. I'd rather him off the field until a week to 10 days before the season. I don't need

to see Nicks in preseason games.

well, its good news that he's healing well.... but I'm with you, I don't want him to rush back. That guy is money, he doesn't need preseason games.

This is not good news. I'd rather him off the field until a week to 10 days before the season. I don't need

to see Nicks in preseason games.

I bet they'll have him listed each week as "questionable: foot" on the injury report and hold him out of games wether he's practicing full-pace or not.

I do not want Nicks to rush anything..........We do not need him to get off to a fast start

better he fully heals and comes on strong in the second half of the season........also this gives us a chance to find a reliable #3 in real war conditions

I think it's silly to say it's not good news that a player will be healthy enough to participate in training camp.

Not good news would be Nicks saying he doesn't think he will be ready for training camp.

Nicks isn't getting any better from starting camp on time. He's a beast, camp or no camp, he'll be ready for week 1. But come on, he's had several lower body issues... quad, hamstring, now foot. The less exposure he has to hits to the lower body the better. Every player has a shelf life. That shelf life is determined by how much physical toll that player can take. Adding to that toll in camp and preseason, whether it be Jackson trying to put the big hit on to make a name for himself, or in exhibition games.... not necessary. Of course I want him to get his work in so that receiver and QB are on the same page going into week 1. But the more reps in full contact practices and games, the more risk exposure. The risk, in this case, far exceeds the reward. He pulls a T2 on us in an exhibition games and I'm sure we'll be hearing a different tune... because there is no one, NO ONE on this roster that can replace what Nicks can do for us in the here and now. Randle maybe eventually but you can't assume he can be that good as a rook week 1.

The other side of this is that an extended recovery period for Nicks allows more first team reps for Randle, Barden, Jernigan. There is a gaping hole left by Manningham's departure. Sure, Hixon could be in that role, but the goal should be to find the player that surpasses Hixon's ability and get him ready to play in the big time as soon as possible. This guy is probably Randle, and he needs the work with the first team, as much as possible. With Nicks there and getting reps, that is that many fewer reps for the other guys. And Nicks doesn't need them, he'll be on the same page with Eli as soon as the ball is kicked off on that Wednesday night several months from now.

I understand the opposing point of view, but sometimes just keeping a guy on the shelf can reap greater benefits later.