SportsWrath

OSI a No-Show at offseason work out...

TrashTalker92

OSI, has been seeking a extension for the longest and we all know what's been going on.. Most of you guys might not want the guy back, but if you recall last season right after he came back our defense went ape shit. i really hope Reese can do some magic and convince Osi to sign something lower or whatever type of deals we could give him. But seeing as to what Mario williams got, i don't think Osi is coming back..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828591d3/article/osi-umenyiora-skips-giants-offseason-workout-program

Keep him for his last year.

Then let him walk and collect a 4th round comp pick.

it's not the matter of us keeping him, it's more of him showing up. Osi is one of the games top DE. He could seek mega bucks else where and he knows this... we need him and you can't say we don't..

it's not the matter of us keeping him, it's more of him showing up. Osi is one of the games top DE. He could seek mega bucks else where and he knows this... we need him and you can't say we don't..

He's a one trick pony. Yea sacks are great.. but he gets shoved around and ran over... I wish other teams like him a lot because I sure would like a 2nd round pick for him.

He's a one trick pony. Yea sacks are great.. but he gets shoved around and ran over... I wish other teams like him a lot because I sure would like a 2nd round pick for him.

come on Nas,, you know our defense went bananas once Osi came back.... One trick pony or not,, he does it well and it's a force.

Osi (the pot smoker guy), is right, i think Osi will come back because he'll need to do a full year to drive his stock higher... but i also think he wants to stay with the Giants that's why he's doing this hold out.. otherwise it makes no sense at all...

Not surprised.

I don't attribute the return of Umenyiora as the sole reason for the resurgence of the defense. We got a lot of people back and healthy and plugged in a vet MLB.

I think we can definitely get a second round pick for him, of course its a question of which draft we're getting said pick. Giants won't move Umenyiora now unless they get a first rounder. He could move during the draft and after it. Biggest problem with moving Umenyiora before and during draft will be Umenyiora getting a new contract.

Osi can do whatever he wants because unless the stars lineup for him, he'll still be here in Sept. Who is starting is a very good question.

1...this is the optional part of the offseason. There are lots of players not showing up leaguewide. It's nothing to get your panties ruffled for just yet.

2...Osi is an important part of our defense and his production, albeit in a shortened season for him, was pretty damn impressive. I'd like him to be re-signed too, but not anywhere remotely close to what Mario Williams got...and I don't see the league paying Osi that kind of money due to his lack of run support and his one-trick speed rush (though he gets an awful lot out of that one trick).

So, what do we do. We have two options. Honestly, I'd be fine with either.

1. Let him play out his contract this year, happy or not, knowing full well that if he fakes an injury, doesn't play well, or generally works the press as a malcontent...he's only hurting his teammates and is own value for next year. Despite wanting to be paid, I still think Osi is a good teammate.
  2. Trade him now. If we were to score a guy like Chandler Jones in the first round, I think this becomes more of an option than it is now. We lost Tollefson and didn't really fill the spot. So trading Osi out, even if we moved Kiwi back to DE, would put a hurting to the strength of our defense. If we get Jones, or someone of that calibur, then Osi becomes expendable at the right price, which the Giants should set at a high level and from which they shouldn't budge, knowing full well they could revert back to #1 above.

But again, none of this is an issue until he starts skipping training camp.

You guys make it sound like Osi isnt wOrth a dime for us. You guys think moving kiwi back to DE will resolve Osi departure? So you guys saying kiwi is better than Osi? Yes Osi has one trick but so dose Yankee closer Mario. Again I'm just saying, Osi is a great DE that still have another 4 year contract left in him.

None of you guys want him back? I'll be damn upset when Osi is gone.

You guys make it sound like Osi isnt wOrth a dime for us. You guys think moving kiwi back to DE will resolve Osi departure? So you guys saying kiwi is better than Osi? Yes Osi has one trick but so dose Yankee closer Mario. Again I'm just saying, Osi is a great DE that still have another 4 year contract left in him.

None of you guys want him back? I'll be damn upset when Osi is gone.

Osi is much closer to the Tikis and Shockeys than a real team player. Sure it's a business but wtf.. you're getting paid quite handsomely and you haven't exactly been on the field a lot.. and you had TWO years reamining on your contract.. you can't stop the run for shit.. you play great one game and disappear the next 3... I say yes I won't shed a tear if he goes.. does that mean I don't want him back? Of course I do.. but we're not a team of drama queens and the greatest thing about the game of football is no ONE player is a game breaker.. even QBs.

I love Osi TT92, he's a great Giant, longest tenured Giant as well.

But younger guys like JPP, Nicks, Cru, Phillips and Joesph will all be needing big $ soon and it's wiser to invest it in them thn it is for Osi. Unless we can get a 1st I'd keep Osi for our repeat attempt and let him walk and collect a 4th round comp pick.

And that's what Reese will likely do.

I love Osi TT92, he's a great Giant, longest tenured Giant as well.

But younger guys like JPP, Nicks, Cru, Phillips and Joesph will all be needing big $ soon and it's wiser to invest it in them thn it is for Osi. Unless we can get a 1st I'd keep Osi for our repeat attempt and let him walk and collect a 4th round comp pick.

And that's what Reese will likely do.

You're not getting a first for Osi... and you'll be lucky to find a team (Raiders) who may give a 2nd for a DE who completely sucks against the run and runs himself up the field and out of the play with wide ass angles. Look I like Osi for what he is.. but his value is way overblown.

Why would you move Kiwanuka back to defensive end while we still have Justin Tuck and Jason Pierre Paul?

For the same reasons we have, at times, used Tuck, Osi, and JPP all on the field at the same time. Tuck would drop down to DT with Osi and JPP on the outside. We'd do the same with Tuck, Kiwi, and JPP. Then, when we move Tuck back to DE, we could drop Kiwi back to LB.

Kiwi would not start at DE, but would be part of the rotation in the same role as Osi is now. But given Kiwi's talent, the rotation would be from DE to LB...not DE to sideline.

TT92, it's not that I don't like Osi. I like him better than most. I think he's an excellent pass rusher, and I don't think he's as bad in run support as others think. He's no JPP, but he's not KGB, either (remember him on the Packers? Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila? THAT was a one-trick pony).

So for me, I think Osi is a valuable piece of the puzzle, however, he's 30 years old, and going into a contract year. He's likely NOT going to re-sign with us, because he's going to ask for a lot of money, and we will have a number of other players that are going to need to get paid or let go in the offseason like William Beatty, Kevin Boothe, Matthias Kiwanuka, Victor Cruz, and many more. This time next year, you might not even recognize this roster, it's crazy how many guys are up for new contracts next season and after the 2013 season, too. So for me, this is more of a financial thing, forward-looking. I'm an Osi fan, but I would take a 2nd for him right now because we need players to replace the ones we will inevitably lose. And that means getting younger.

If that's the case. Let's hope our young DT pans out. So we can rotate tuck back out to DE when Osi is gone. I see us drafting another DE in this draft.

Canty can also play at end. Kiwi plays a lot at end already, basically whenever there's a nickel package, Kiwi can play at end. We could still have a nice rotation with or without Osi... but I do like him, and I'd love to see a nice send off year of 13 or more sacks, with a good 9 or 10 FF's!

I have two obvious choices for Osi.

1) Osi's age , he is 30 will be 31 in Nov. Last year he missed 7 games and only had 16 tackles, not to mention injuries.

With all of that being said, if he is going to walk next year why not trade him now during the draft and get Something for him at least a 5th round.

Why would you buy a new car drive it for 9 years ,pay it off then give it away?

2)Getting a center in the draft could help save some money for us to go toward keeping OSi next year. Baas has a huge contract.... too huge. Canty has a big contract also. Jacobs restructured 2 years straight to help keep Bradshaw. Canty could( but would he) do the same. question is How much money is the Chief looking for to stay?

Also think about this, we lost Tolly. If we trade Osi now we have no veteran DE rotation outside of Trattou and some guy (rookie) Marshall(?). (I know ,I know we have Kiwi who is listed as a LB - 62 tackles)

What I am saying is restructure or trade...... We could get a 3rd for Osi (per some insiders, teams are offering a 3rd for osi.)

Will we be running Nascar on 7 cylinders this year?

I have two obvious choices for Osi.

1) Osi's age , he is 30 will be 31 in Nov. Last year he missed 7 games and only had 16 tackles, not to mention injuries.

With all of that being said, if he is going to walk next year why not trade him now during the draft and get Something for him at least a 5th round.

Why would you buy a new car drive it for 9 years ,pay it off then give it away?

2)Getting a center in the draft could help save some money for us to go toward keeping OSi next year. Baas has a huge contract.... too huge. Canty has a big contract also. Jacobs restructured 2 years straight to help keep Bradshaw. Canty could( but would he) do the same. question is How much money is the Chief looking for to stay?

Also think about this, we lost Tolly. If we trade Osi now we have no veteran DE rotation outside of Trattou and some guy (rookie) Marshall(?). (I know ,I know we have Kiwi who is listed as a LB - 62 tackles)

What I am saying is restructure or trade...... We could get a 3rd for Osi (per some insiders, teams are offering a 3rd for osi.)

Will we be running Nascar on 7 cylinders this year?

About choice #1. My argument about 'getting something for him at least a 5th', is that I'd rather have him playing for us this year and lose him for nothing, than to not have him this year and get a 5th just so we don't let him go for nothing.