SportsWrath

Six Reasons Giants Should Not Pick TE in First Round

BleedinBlue

I agree, he's a pass rusher and not fantastic against the run, but I wouldn't go so far to call him a liability or a guy that we win in spite of.

But last season, he recorded about a sack a game...that's pretty damn good for DE's, no? He's arguably a top 10 in the league, and even at top 15, I'd think a team would pay a 1st rounder in next year's draft for a proven top 15 pass rushing DE.

Hell, you could even structure the potential trade to range from a 3rd to a 1st dependent upon (1) production and (2) where in the round the pick ends up being. Point is, whether we consider him worth it or not, I have to believe that another team in the league would.

I forgot he was only in 9 games due to injury, I thought you were really saying he had 16 sacks last year. I get you now, good points. However, I don't think he could have kept that up all year, still, 10-15 sacks is impressive.

I agree with gmenroc pretty much down the line. Not only have we lost Jacobs, but I don't think Andre Brown will be in the mix after his getting busted on drugs. That leaves two holes and Bradshaw is not big enough to sustain the whole load without getting injured at some point.

One thing I'm hoping for is to see the Giants start giving Da'Rel Scott some playing time. He's chomping at the bit to get a chance, but knows that TC likes to use proven players when they are available, hence the Jacobs and Bradshaw show for the last few years. He carried the ball just five times in his rookie season, caught two passes and returned 14 kickoffs (averaging 24.4 yards per return) which shows he's got a motor. He says that he didn't know the system last year because of the late start to practice, but has spent every minute of the off season learning the way TC and Gillbride want to use the running game. If he's the real deal, we may not be in as bad a shape as we thought at the RB position.

Getting a stud OT may be harder than we think. Most quality linemen take 2 or 3 years to develop and learn how to gel with the rest of the O-line. It's not a "plug and play" position like many of the offensive positions.

Regardless, there has to be a gem that falls through the cracks that was expected to go earlier and if theres a WR like Stephen Hill or a stud DT like Devon Stil or DE's Marcellus or Jones or if Safety Barron or whatever left on the board, I expect Reese and TC to pull the trigger on the player they best think will help the team long term.

I'm not advocating for an OL to start.. We need a stud to be groomed which I think should happen every year... this year is a bit more pressing I think.

Yeah....it's always great when a player feels snubbed so he's determined to prove to all the other teams that they made a huge mistake. That might be the only good thing about drafting at the back end of the draft. Well, that and the fact that any player in the top ten gets huge contracts worth millions of dollars before ever taking a step in the NFL. Nothing worse than watching a top 5 or top 10 pick get fat and lazy after pulling in 40 million....and it happens all the time. (William Joseph, Ron Dayne, jump out at me....even though Joseph was like an 18th or 19th pick)

Ok we need to win the SB every year so we can pick guys without worrying about the hefty contracts top ten draftees get. Who's with me? :P

I forgot he was only in 9 games due to injury, I thought you were really saying he had 16 sacks last year. I get you now, good points. However, I don't think he could have kept that up all year, still, 10-15 sacks is impressive.

Add in his forced fumbles and he was pretty productive over the past two seasons. I believe his value to other teams is as high as it's been as far as a potential trade and that rather than keeping him around for just one more season (where he'd split time with Tuck and JPP) and watching him walk next offseason getting nothing in return, that it could be beneficial to trade him now.

I fully believe that Osi is still upset over not getting a bigger deal, but that he also realizes that bitching about it publicly isn't going to win him many big contracts from any team. I believe too, that if the Giants and another team were to offer him equal contracts next offseason, that he'd still walk. He might even take less money to go elsewhere for a full time starting position.

Does starting games, or playing more often, with JPP/Canty/Tuck/Umenyiora this season soften his stance? Perhaps, but I still have my doubts

I'm not advocating for an OL to start.. We need a stud to be groomed which I think should happen every year... this year is a bit more pressing I think.

It's the FIRST ROUND. You do that shit in the 2nd and 3rd or even later rounds. What round was Beatty drafted in? Snee? Diehl?

Way more pressing needs, fellas.

It's the FIRST ROUND. You do that shit in the 2nd and 3rd or even later rounds. What round was Beatty drafted in? Snee? Diehl?

Way more pressing needs, fellas.

What do you draft in the first round? My answer is BPA.. and whether it's OL, DE/DT, or TE I'll be fine. Hardly any rookie sets the league on fire anyway... If you have an immediate and pressing need then FA is the way to go.

What do you draft in the first round? My answer is BPA.. and whether it's OL, DE/DT, or TE I'll be fine. Hardly any rookie sets the league on fire anyway... If you have an immediate and pressing need then FA is the way to go.

I draft a guy that is going to be able to start some time during the regular season of his rookie year. Maybe not on fire but rookie draft classes help teams win Super Bowls when they contribute starters in their first year. To me, that's Fleener because he's going to be better than Bennett, and if he's not, you can say I told ya so. Either Fleener or one of the running backs and gradually get him the ball a la DeMarco Murray (maybe we can wait until the 3rd and pick up an RB).