SportsWrath

Six Reasons Giants Should Not Pick TE in First Round

BleedinBlue

I found this to be an interesting read. Don't know if I agree or not, but some interesting stuff....particularly the stuff on Eli.

Regardless, I trust Reese and TC and if they picked Fleeny, I'd be happy because I know they do their homework and know what they expect out of a player.

From BleacherReport:

Why the Giants Would Be Foolish to Draft a Tight End in the First Round

Yes, the Giants could surely use a tight end, but it would not be a wise move to draft one in the first round.

Most analysts do not agree, as it seems to be a popular trend to project the Giants to select one in mock drafts with the 32nd pick in April.

The following are six reasons why they would be making the wrong decision in doing so.

Reason Number One: Lack of Talent

There Are No Top Notch Tight Ends in the Draft

In most years, if a team needs a tight end as seemingly obviously as the Giants currently do, there's an obvious match in the first round of the draft.

However, this year's tight end class does not include any clear-cut, first-round value. Rather, there is a plethora of second to third-round talent which includes Stanford's Coby Fleener, Clemson's Dwayne Allen and Georgia's Orson Charles.

The Giants, under GM Jerry Reese, rarely give in and draft apparent needs in the first round of the draft. During Reese's, tenure the Giants have often delayed filling holes early while opting for the greatest value remaining on the board.

During the past two drafts, the Giants have bypassed positional needs such as linebacker and offensive lineman, while selecting major talent for the future in positions they were already deep at.

In 2010, they selected Jason Pierre-Paul out of South Florida. It's fair to say that was a wise selection, as he already has made the NFL All-Pro team. Last year, the team drafted Prince Amukamara out of Nebraska. He had an injury-plagued rookie campaign but showed immense signs of hope and is looking to have a breakout year during his first full season in 2012.

With a lack of talent at the position in this year's draft, it would come as a great surprise to see Reese give in to the temptation and take a tight end as early as the first round.

Reason Number Two: Historically, Best TE's Are Made, Not Drafted High

Most good tight ends are neither first or second round picks

The tight end position is a tricky one for NFL scouts.

Many of the top players at the position are middle or low-round picks, and a handful are even undrafted.

For example, Antonio Gates, one of the greatest tight ends the league has seen, was an undrafted free agent. Top tight ends Jimmy Graham, Jermichael Finley and Jason Witten were all third-round picks, which is where many of the best in this year's class should land.

The position has proved over the years to be the hardest to scout. This is because many tight end prospects bloom late, as it is a difficult position, so it's hard to differentiate between first and second-day picks.

With a draft full of mid-round tight end prospects, it would make sense for the Giants to wait and grab one or maybe two tight ends in the middle rounds. They would still have a chance at perhaps the top tight end, while not mortgaging their primary pick to select one of three who seem to be at even ground.

Additionally, the Giants have been very successful in developing undrafted free agents (Victor Cruz, Ryan Grant, Jake Ballard), so perhaps, that will be a route they will take to find their man.

It surely doesn't appear to be necessary to burn a first-round pick on a tight end.

Reason Number Three: Tight End is Not The Most Pressing Need for Giants

The Giants have other higher needs

Although tight end is a glaring need for the Giants, it is important to note that they also have holes that need to be filled at other, arguably more important, positions.

The offensive line is aging and injury-prone, and with a very high possibility that Kareem McKenzie will not return, the team will be losing a cornerstone at right tackle. If the Giants do not retain McKenzie, it will not be a surprise if the Giants address the problem early in the draft. After all, it should be a priority to protect the Super Bowl MVP.

Another position the Giants will look to improve upon is the running back position.

Despite winning the Super Bowl, the Giants were the worst team in the NFL this past season in regard to running the football. More so, the Giants released the franchise leader in rushing touchdowns last week — Brandon Jacobs.

Jacobs was due a large bonus, and Jerry Reese and Co. did not believe he did enough to deserve it. It is a relatively strong running back draft, so the Giants drafting a tailback in the first round is very conceivable.

The Giants also lost free-agents Mario Manningham and Aaron Ross last week. Although the team has major strengths at both positions, acquiring depth through the draft makes sense, especially if there is value on the board by the time pick 32 rolls around.

There's also a chance the Giants opt to take a linebacker in Round 1, but with that said, the team is likely to stick with a combination of Jonathan Goff, Clint Sintim, Chase Blackburn, Mark Herzlich and Jacquian Williams to play along side the constants of Mathais Kiwanuka and Michael Boley.

It would make little sense for the Giants to reach for a tight end this early, especially with so many needs to address.

Reason Number Four: Bear Pascoe

Bear Pascoe is a virtual no-name to all non-Giants fans.

He's a traditional blocking tight end who has one career touchdown reception.

But that catch was a difference-making play in the NFC Championship Game—an overtime thriller. Pascoe may not have the potential of a Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski, but perhaps, Eli Manning could make him a serviceable starter (see Reason Number Five).

But more importantly, Pascoe is a good blocking tight end.

It would be beneficial for the Giants to play through a blocking tight need like him because of their struggles in the running game. They could also afford to use their tight end more as a blocker because they have two young superstar wide receivers, and two intriguing weapons in Jerrel Jernigan (lethal speed) and Ramses Barden (unparalleled height).

Both wide receivers are projects, but if they develop into third-down options for Manning, Pascoe would be a good enough complement through the air.

Pascoe showed flashes of reliability during the postseason, as his performances down the stretch emit optimism that he has the ability to become a good enough tight end as a pass-catcher over time.

If not, he will be a valuable blocking tight end at the very least.

Reason Number Five: Eli, Eli, Eli

It's obvious.

Eli Manning has finally reached the level of his older brother Peyton.

He has exhibited this by developing receivers with insignificant previous success into viable options, and in some cases, stars. Many would be quick to look at Victor Cruz and Jake Ballard as examples of the "Eli Effect," but first, let's look at Steve Smith and Kevin Boss:

Steve Smith's 2009 stats (Giants):

107 receptions 1,220 yards seven touchdowns

Steve Smith's 2011 stats (Eagles):

11 receptions 124 yards one touchdown

That's a significant difference. Note that Smith was injured during most of the 2010 season and had lingering effects during this past season. But with such a significant difference in numbers, there has got to be credit given to Eli.

Kevin Boss's 2010 stats (Giants):

35 receptions 531 yards five touchdowns

Kevin Boss's 2011 stats (Raiders):

28 receptions 368 yards three touchdowns

Similar to Smith, Boss's numbers went way down upon bolting from the Giants and Eli for Oakland. He had such a disappointing season in his first year without Eli that the Raiders released him after only one season after outbidding the Giants to sign him last offseason.

As rookies in 2007, both made big plays in the Super Bowl. They became favorite targets of Eli Manning, and many fans were worried when the Giants didn't shell out the cash to re-sign both of them last offseason.

They were very successful on the Giants, which earned them big contracts from the Eagles and Raiders respectively. But without Eli, both had disastrous years, and neither was retained by those clubs.

This can easily be credited to Eli, who in recent years has finally been attributed to getting the most out of the skills of his receivers.

It's fair to say that Eli was the reason for the success of those receivers, given the fact that they significantly regressed greatly in their first year without Manning tossing them the football.

Manning continued to perfect the art of "creating receivers" this season, as he turned undrafted no-names Victor Cruz and Jake Ballard into a superstar and a legitimate starting tight end.

Based on his recent success with these lowly regarded receivers, it makes perfect sense to allow Manning to work with Pascoe, Martellus Bennett (see next slide) and perhaps a draft pick from the third to sixth round.

If Eli is unable to work with these weapons, which at this point would come as a surprise, Jake Ballard and Travis Beckum should be able to return by the second half of the season.

The bottom line: Eli Manning can be trusted to create himself a strong arsenal of receivers at this point in his career.

Reason Number Six: Martellus Bennett

This is where it gets interesting.

Martellus Bennett is still unknown to many NFL fans, including Giants fans, but he may very well be their long-term solution.

Bennett, a fifth-year tight end, has the ability to terrorize the adversary with his 6'6", 270-lb frame and extreme athleticism, but he's still raw.

Bennett played for the Cowboys his first four years. He did not get much of an opportunity as he backed up (and learned from) the very successful Jason Witten. He did not get many opportunities in the passing game, but given a chance, his signing could be a tremendous haul for New York.

If given a chance to start, which he likely will in the near future, Bennett would provide another athletic option for Manning, and perhaps, a new favorite target on third-down or goal-line situations.

With a combination of Bennett's potential and Manning's skill in developing young receivers, Bennett could be the Giant's tight end of the future. If not, they could use Bear Pascoe or a mid-round pick as their tight end. They may very well use a combination of each.

The New York Giants may draft a tight end this year, but they certainly should not take one in the first round.

OK, this seems to be before the signing of Locklear and the trade for Rivers. Therefore, I find it highly doubtful we take like the 5th best tackle at 32. Nor will we take a linebacker.

We might address the oline, and it might be at tackle, but I think that'd be a waste, personally, given the Giants aptitude of developing good offensive lineman on their own from later rounds (see Snee and Diehl, for example). The flexibility of the players they do have makes it an even less pressing need in the first round, IMO.

Running back would be a smart choice. And I think it has to come down to who the best RB is on the board compared to where they have Fleener or even a WR prospect. I think you have to get Eli Manning another weapon, it is only going to help the offense.

But the point is, you could do this with every position and find pros and cons with going with any pick at 32. The Giants have the luxury of having pretty good depth on defense right now, so I think you have to go offense. But I think I could write an article about why the Giants shouldn't draft an offensive lineman just as easily as this dude wrote one on why they shouldn't take Fleener (who I think he is highly under valuing)

The way I look at it....for whatever its worth....is that we must build the team around the franchise, which is Eli. That means give him the best protection possible with a strong O-line, give him good receivers, and give him a couple of good running backs to take the pressure off the passing game since we are definitely a passing team with Eli.

I'd be happy with a strong RB in the mold of Lamar Miller, Doug Martin, or even Chris Polk who are not only strong runners, but have good hands for the quick dump pass. I'd also be happy with a good slot receiver like Kendall Wright or Stephen Hill or a sure handed big TE like Fleeny. I'd also be happy if we got a stellar lineman like Jonathan Martin or Cordy Glenn. I'd also be happy if the Giants took another sack happy DE in the mold of Whitney Marcellus or Chandler Jones as the strategy of overstocking DE's has proven to work since TC took over the reigns.

One of those guys will still be on the board at 32 and possibly even a higher rated player that circumstances led to his falling through the cracks as teams try to fill "needs" positions.

As far as TE's go, I'm intrigued with Taylor Thompson who played DE in college, but entered the draft as a TE. He has the size, hands, and blocking ability that would make him versatile and could probably be had in the 3rd or 4th round.

In the end, it all comes down to whether or not Reese and TC know what they're doing and I have great faith that they do.

As far as Bleacher Report goes....they are just another group of football guys with opinions, no different than those in a dozen other sites. Opinions cannot be dismissed simply because someone doesn't like them. Some of the best opinions I've ever gotten came from people I didn't care for. Just part of life.

And the Bleacher Report absolutely blows.

That may be (I have no opinion on that).....but, I agree a Tight End in the first round is not something I want to see.

This team need help in the running game, so I would prefer we draft an ox of a lineman, along with another running back.

Also, I'd kill for a linebacker with a mean streak that can blow through gaps....we also need help at safety.

I still think a darkhorse position that could likely be the pick depending on the value there is DT. right now our only dt's are joseph, canty, and austin. and austin hasn't played football in 2 years.

That may be (I have no opinion on that).....but, I agree a Tight End in the first round is not something I want to see.

This team need help in the running game, so I would prefer we draft an ox of a lineman, along with another running back.

Also, I'd kill for a linebacker with a mean streak that can blow through gaps....we also need help at safety.

I'm just saying, going offensive lineman is more than likely not going to be going with the BPA.

I agree with the notion that we shouldn't go TE in the first round. I think an OL in the mold of Snee/O'hara would be a more favorable plan of action imo.

I support this message. :cheers:

I still think a darkhorse position that could likely be the pick depending on the value there is DT. right now our only dt's are joseph, canty, and austin. and austin hasn't played football in 2 years.

I still can't see us going 2nd,2nd,1st on the same position and Canty is signed through 2015.

I'm moving away from the TE position too as draft day approaches. Fleener has been given a 1st round grade for a reason, and I don't believe it's only because he's the best TE in the class. He's a quality player in a pro system there at Stanford, who had a good QB throwing him the ball. That said, you have to discount his stats and his accomplishments slightly because of the QB, system, and coach. I still think Fleener is an end of round 1, top of round 2 grade. And I still wouldn't be upset at the pick, given Bennett and Ballard are only signed through 2012...and having a developing rookie would allow for more flexibility NEXT offseason at the TE position.

That said, RB and OT are both becoming more appealing to me given our running game struggles. We have not replaced Brandon Jacobs at all and seemingly were not interested in doing so via free agency. I think the front office is far more convinced on Ware than most fans are. But I think there are real concerns here..because Bradshaw, as good and as tough as he is...is constantly dinged, hurt, injured, not practicing...etc. Adding more of him into the offense, will only increase the likeliness of injury. Scott showed he is fast in his rookie year...but again, he's largely unproven. So I have to believe that the Giants will select a RB at some point...but where they select one will depend heavily upon (1) where they want to insert a rookie in the depth chart and (2) which RBs are available when they're selecting.

As for OT, again, we have an unproven Brewer, an injured Beatty, an aging Diehl, a FA signing in Locklear to man the two OT positions. That's a little sketchy, but that being so, I don't see an end-of-round-1 rookie doing all that much better, regardless of who might fall to that spot. There's a depth issue there and it needs to be addressed in the draft. But unless a Jonathon Martin falls or even a Mike Adams falls to us at 32, I don't know that anyone's going to be available.

DE, as others have brought up, I would be fine with it if Chandler Jones is available. If we do select him, expect Osi to be royally pissed and possibly even hold out. If we do select Chandler Jones, I'd open Osi up to trade talks immediately. He's easily worth a 1st rounder given his production just last year. I'd be completely fine if that first rounder was this year OR next....again, so long as we picked a DE at #32 this year. And yeah, I'd want Osi traded out of the division....he's a VERY good DE, but his desires to be THE DE on the team as opposed to a rotational player that the Giants want him to be...could be a cause for trading him. I would get a sense of Osi's trade value prior to selecting Jones.

I'm moving away from the TE position too as draft day approaches. Fleener has been given a 1st round grade for a reason, and I don't believe it's only because he's the best TE in the class. He's a quality player in a pro system there at Stanford, who had a good QB throwing him the ball. That said, you have to discount his stats and his accomplishments slightly because of the QB, system, and coach. I still think Fleener is an end of round 1, top of round 2 grade. And I still wouldn't be upset at the pick, given Bennett and Ballard are only signed through 2012...and having a developing rookie would allow for more flexibility NEXT offseason at the TE position.

That said, RB and OT are both becoming more appealing to me given our running game struggles. We have not replaced Brandon Jacobs at all and seemingly were not interested in doing so via free agency. I think the front office is far more convinced on Ware than most fans are. But I think there are real concerns here..because Bradshaw, as good and as tough as he is...is constantly dinged, hurt, injured, not practicing...etc. Adding more of him into the offense, will only increase the likeliness of injury. Scott showed he is fast in his rookie year...but again, he's largely unproven. So I have to believe that the Giants will select a RB at some point...but where they select one will depend heavily upon (1) where they want to insert a rookie in the depth chart and (2) which RBs are available when they're selecting.

As for OT, again, we have an unproven Brewer, an injured Beatty, an aging Diehl, a FA signing in Locklear to man the two OT positions. That's a little sketchy, but that being so, I don't see an end-of-round-1 rookie doing all that much better, regardless of who might fall to that spot. There's a depth issue there and it needs to be addressed in the draft. But unless a Jonathon Martin falls or even a Mike Adams falls to us at 32, I don't know that anyone's going to be available.

DE, as others have brought up, I would be fine with it if Chandler Jones is available. If we do select him, expect Osi to be royally pissed and possibly even hold out. If we do select Chandler Jones, I'd open Osi up to trade talks immediately. He's easily worth a 1st rounder given his production just last year. I'd be completely fine if that first rounder was this year OR next....again, so long as we picked a DE at #32 this year. And yeah, I'd want Osi traded out of the division....he's a VERY good DE, but his desires to be THE DE on the team as opposed to a rotational player that the Giants want him to be...could be a cause for trading him. I would get a sense of Osi's trade value prior to selecting Jones.

I don't think there's any way we can get a first rounder for Osi. I don't even think we can get a second round pick for him. Draft picks have uber super premium value in today's NFL.

I also think he's just gonna play out his contract at this point, happy or not. He's not gonna hold out again, not after the Giants owned him last year.

If anything happens it'll be because the Giants decide they can't take his 4.6 million dollar cap hit given their cap issues, not because Osi pushes them into giving him a payday or to move him. Guy has zero leverage, which the Giants proved last year, and somebody in his camp should really inform him of that.

-Z

I agree with gmenroc pretty much down the line. Not only have we lost Jacobs, but I don't think Andre Brown will be in the mix after his getting busted on drugs. That leaves two holes and Bradshaw is not big enough to sustain the whole load without getting injured at some point.

One thing I'm hoping for is to see the Giants start giving Da'Rel Scott some playing time. He's chomping at the bit to get a chance, but knows that TC likes to use proven players when they are available, hence the Jacobs and Bradshaw show for the last few years. He carried the ball just five times in his rookie season, caught two passes and returned 14 kickoffs (averaging 24.4 yards per return) which shows he's got a motor. He says that he didn't know the system last year because of the late start to practice, but has spent every minute of the off season learning the way TC and Gillbride want to use the running game. If he's the real deal, we may not be in as bad a shape as we thought at the RB position.

Getting a stud OT may be harder than we think. Most quality linemen take 2 or 3 years to develop and learn how to gel with the rest of the O-line. It's not a "plug and play" position like many of the offensive positions.

Regardless, there has to be a gem that falls through the cracks that was expected to go earlier and if theres a WR like Stephen Hill or a stud DT like Devon Stil or DE's Marcellus or Jones or if Safety Barron or whatever left on the board, I expect Reese and TC to pull the trigger on the player they best think will help the team long term.

And just to clarify my position, I'm not understating Osi's worth. Osi Umenyiora is an elite one trick pony. There's no denying he puts up the numbers, but he is genuinely ANEMIC against the run, and even his pass rushing just consists of overpursuing around the end. Mind you, it seems to be good for about a sack a game, and a strip fumble every other game, which is EXCELLENT production...BUT....with his complete utter lack of skills against the run, and his completely one dimensional approach to pass rushing, he's essentially worthless in anything other than uber obvious passing situations.

Would I pay a guy 4.5 million dollars a year to be a specialist, and an elite one at that, at obvious passing situations? Yeah I would. But I think that's quite enough money for a one trick pony who can't play every down, and I wouldn't pay a cent more nor would I lose the slightest bit of sleep at the idea of holdouts or whatever.

The guy's getting paid EXACTLY what he's worth, IMO, and he should shut up and play out his damn contract.

-Z

I don't think there's any way we can get a first rounder for Osi. I don't even think we can get a second round pick for him. Draft picks have uber super premium value in today's NFL.

I also think he's just gonna play out his contract at this point, happy or not. He's not gonna hold out again, not after the Giants owned him last year.

If anything happens it'll be because the Giants decide they can't take his 4.6 million dollar cap hit given their cap issues, not because Osi pushes them into giving him a payday. Guy has zero leverage, which the Giants proved last year, and somebody in his camp should really inform him of that.

-Z

I, too, doubt a 1st rounder this year....was thinking more of a 1st rounder next year, which I think would be a fair asking price for 15 sacks a season...for a player, pretty much in his prime.

I agree as well, that Osi SHOULD play out his contract and enter free agency next season, without speaking publicly about his deal. And, I think he currently plans to do just that. BUT, if we draft a DE in the first round, the writing on the wall will be so apparent that it could easily trigger trade talks/hurt feelings/holdouts-to-force-trade

I, too, doubt a 1st rounder this year....was thinking more of a 1st rounder next year, which I think would be a fair asking price for 15 sacks a season...for a player, pretty much in his prime.

I agree as well, that Osi SHOULD play out his contract and enter free agency next season, without speaking publicly about his deal. And, I think he currently plans to do just that. BUT, if we draft a DE in the first round, the writing on the wall will be so apparent that it could easily trigger trade talks/hurt feelings/holdouts-to-force-trade

which Osi Umenyiora are you watching, bro....?

I agree with gmenroc pretty much down the line. Not only have we lost Jacobs, but I don't think Andre Brown will be in the mix after his getting busted on drugs. That leaves two holes and Bradshaw is not big enough to sustain the whole load without getting injured at some point.

One thing I'm hoping for is to see the Giants start giving Da'Rel Scott some playing time. He's chomping at the bit to get a chance, but knows that TC likes to use proven players when they are available, hence the Jacobs and Bradshaw show for the last few years. He carried the ball just five times in his rookie season, caught two passes and returned 14 kickoffs (averaging 24.4 yards per return) which shows he's got a motor. He says that he didn't know the system last year because of the late start to practice, but has spent every minute of the off season learning the way TC and Gillbride want to use the running game. If he's the real deal, we may not be in as bad a shape as we thought at the RB position.

Getting a stud OT may be harder than we think. Most quality linemen take 2 or 3 years to develop and learn how to gel with the rest of the O-line. It's not a "plug and play" position like many of the offensive positions.

Regardless, there has to be a gem that falls through the cracks that was expected to go earlier and if theres a WR like Stephen Hill or a stud DT like Devon Stil or DE's Marcellus or Jones or if Safety Barron or whatever left on the board, I expect Reese and TC to pull the trigger on the player they best think will help the team long term.

I think the draft is generally deep enough that we'll get an eventual starter at #32...and I for one, am hoping that it's a long term, career-as-a-Giant kind of guy, who plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder against all the other teams for passing on him.

which Osi Umenyiora are you watching, bro....?

I agree, he's a pass rusher and not fantastic against the run, but I wouldn't go so far to call him a liability or a guy that we win in spite of.

But last season, he recorded about a sack a game...that's pretty damn good for DE's, no? He's arguably a top 10 in the league, and even at top 15, I'd think a team would pay a 1st rounder in next year's draft for a proven top 15 pass rushing DE.

Hell, you could even structure the potential trade to range from a 3rd to a 1st dependent upon (1) production and (2) where in the round the pick ends up being. Point is, whether we consider him worth it or not, I have to believe that another team in the league would.

I think the draft is generally deep enough that we'll get an eventual starter at #32...and I for one, am hoping that it's a long term, career-as-a-Giant kind of guy, who plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder against all the other teams for passing on him.

Yeah....it's always great when a player feels snubbed so he's determined to prove to all the other teams that they made a huge mistake. That might be the only good thing about drafting at the back end of the draft. Well, that and the fact that any player in the top ten gets huge contracts worth millions of dollars before ever taking a step in the NFL. Nothing worse than watching a top 5 or top 10 pick get fat and lazy after pulling in 40 million....and it happens all the time. (William Joseph, Ron Dayne, jump out at me....even though Joseph was like an 18th or 19th pick)

Yeah....it's always great when a player feels snubbed so he's determined to prove to all the other teams that they made a huge mistake. That might be the only good thing about drafting at the back end of the draft. Well, that and the fact that any player in the top ten gets huge contracts worth millions of dollars before ever taking a step in the NFL. Nothing worse than watching a top 5 or top 10 pick get fat and lazy after pulling in 40 million....and it happens all the time. (William Joseph, Ron Dayne, jump out at me....even though Joseph was like an 18th or 19th pick)

What about winning the superbowl the year prior? That a good thing? Lol.

I believe Dayne was a mid-round pick too...don't believe he was top 10 anyhow, but could be wrong.

What about winning the superbowl the year prior? That a good thing? Lol.

I believe Dayne was a mid-round pick too...don't believe he was top 10 anyhow, but could be wrong.

Dayne was picked at the 11th spot in 2000. He had all the potential, Heisman Trophy winner, consensus All-American, MVP of the Rose Bowl 2 years in a row, Big Ten Player of the Year and MVP, AP Player of the year award, the Jim Brown Award for best RB, etc.

Then he sucked after we got him.

That's the scary thing about drafting earlier than the competition. You can pay through the ass for a total bust.

And yeah....good point, drafting last means you're the SB champs. That's a good thing!

Dayne was picked at the 11th spot in 2000. He had all the potential, Heisman Trophy winner, consensus All-American, MVP of the Rose Bowl 2 years in a row, Big Ten Player of the Year and MVP, AP Player of the year award, the Jim Brown Award for best RB, etc.

Then he sucked after we got him.

That's the scary thing about drafting earlier than the competition. You can pay through the ass for a total bust.

And yeah....good point, drafting last means you're the SB champs. That's a good thing!

I believe Dayne broke the NCAA rushing record too, didn't he? He was a bust, but the pick was not a reach. There's a host of other teams that probably would've made the same selection. Overpaying a rookie isn't as much an issue anymore with the rookie wage scale.