SportsWrath

Important Question on Jason Pierre-Paul

Guest StrahansGap

Guest StrahansGap

With Mario Williams signing with the Buffalo Bills today for $100 million ($50 million guaranteed) he became the highest-paid defensive player ever. You are all smart enough to know where this is going.

I think JPP is already better. How the hell is Reese supposed to solve this one?

One thing to note though is Williams was signed as a LB not a DE.

I think in terms of league average LBs are paid alot more then DEs.

you sure? buffalo is running the 4-3 where he will be a de.

One thing to note though is Williams was signed as a LB not a DE.

I think in terms of league average LBs are paid alot more then DEs.

Yeah, Williams is a natural 4-3 DE. He only moved to 3-4 edge rusher when Wade Phillips converted the Texans to a 3-4 this year. Other than this year, he's been a DE his whole career. He goes back to a 4-3 where he can play his natural position. And I think you are way off on who gets paid more. I would say 3-4 OLB pass rushers get paid similar to DE's, but I highly doubt, on league average, anyone gets paid more than a DE. Your top CB's in the league might be comparable, but DE's usually make the most.

All these sucky teams throw cash at name brand players are going to kill us. Osi must be piss and tuck , JPP are going to demand the upper +70 million plus.

It's a good thing the Giants just won the SB because it's going to be a rough next few years. JPP isn't a free agent until 2015 and Tuck/Nicks 2014 but there are a good amount of FAs next year.

With Mario Williams signing with the Buffalo Bills today for $100 million ($50 million guaranteed) he became the highest-paid defensive player ever. You are all smart enough to know where this is going.

I think JPP is already better. How the hell is Reese supposed to solve this one?

Either.... We'll cross that bridge when we get to it...

Or.. which I'm in favor of... next offseason rip up the current contract and give a nice one that shows his value and make him happy now... I think the worst feeling is when you make peanuts while you wait for your rookie contract to expire... beat the player to the punch and show him the money before his frustration simmers.... same should be done now with Cruz... increase his pay modestly now and to make him happy now... and make his pay worth his contribution the following years.

All these sucky teams throw cash at name brand players are going to kill us. Osi must be piss and tuck , JPP are going to demand the upper +70 million plus.

That's not how management looks at things.. in general the teams that win are not loaded with superstars because those teams (due to cap situation) have shit players in other positions... and consequently go nowhere... Teams with solid (not super star) players win championships because players make each other better... I'm also in the camp that you should hold on to good players with character...

case in point.. look at really good players who've left us to go to other teams.. only to fade.. Bratzkie (sp), Cornelius Griffen, Boss, Smith... Shockey.. where are they now?

It's easy to say all that Nas but if you start extending all your best players like that you're playing a dangerous game with the salary cap....and, you might end up with several key players contracts ending in the same year, in which case you have decisions to make and have lots of money tied up in BOTH and could possibly go into the next season without either on the team...It's just not how you sustain a franchise.

It's easy to say all that Nas but if you start extending all your best players like that you're playing a dangerous game with the salary cap....and, you might end up with several key players contracts ending in the same year, in which case you have decisions to make and have lots of money tied up in BOTH and could possibly go into the next season without either on the team...It's just not how you sustain a franchise.

As an employer/manager, the organization must worry about morale. No one wants to feel underpaid.. and yes almost everyone feels that way but in the case of JPP and Cruz it's too damn obvious... making them happy now means they return the favor and not demand massive pays later on. And you time your contract extensions where you don't have very good players contracts expire at the same time... as in make Cruz Happy NOW with a modest pay raise NOW including a good pay the following 3 years.. and do the same with JPP say next year... etc.

You have to remember, JPP was a first round draft pick, his contract isn't that awful for him....it will only be his 3rd year, correct?

2nd, Cruz was an undrafted free agent who did real well in preseason his first year, got injured (IR, correct?) and missed an entire season. He's had one amazing year, that's a given, but you let guys like this play out their contracts, bro.

You have to remember, JPP was a first round draft pick, his contract isn't that awful for him....it will only be his 3rd year, correct?

2nd, Cruz was an undrafted free agent who did real well in preseason his first year, got injured (IR, correct?) and missed an entire season. He's had one amazing year, that's a given, but you let guys like this play out their contracts, bro.

Yes I realize what you're saying.. my point is to be proactive and make these players happier by saying hey.. we can let you play out your contracts but we'll give you this anyway... chances are the goodwill will make an impression on them and they will remember that comes free agency time.

And the strategy appears to be to stay up close to the cap limit while Eli is here, keep him surrounded by young talent, and get veteran players to restructure to spread the cap hits out over the ensuing years to make more cap room for young talent. So when guys like Cruz's contract is done, there will be room to resign him. It seems like a good strategy to me...

Yes I realize what you're saying.. my point is to be proactive and make these players happier by saying hey.. we can let you play out your contracts but we'll give you this anyway... chances are the goodwill will make an impression on them and they will remember that comes free agency time.

But then how are you going to maneuver the 6 million or whatever in cap space to sign rookies and field the rest of the team if you extend JPP and Cruz right now?

But then how are you going to maneuver the 6 million or whatever in cap space to sign rookies and field the rest of the team if you extend JPP and Cruz right now?

There are always overpaid players you can cut if needed.

That means a cap hit, too, though...

Yep... but the FO are the professionals and sometimes taking a $2M cap hit to save $8M is more than worth it. I'm not saying this should be all the time.. just in the case of Cruz now and maybe JPP before his contract ends..