SportsWrath

both kiper and mcshay's newest mocks have us taking coby fleener

Herc

This is where I differ from the Giants and from many on SW. I would draft need in the first few rounds and BPA in later rounds. I simply don't see a 3rd WR as much of a need as a starting

TE.

Fair enough, but Bennet is our starter for 2012 atleast. Fleener is the only good TE in this draft that I've noticed.

How so?

And Scott will be on the roster... his potential is

amazing. How many times did he fumble? Did

we have the same issue with AB and Tiki before

him? that's a very correctable problem.

Why would Smith be cheaper? Are you serious? Smith definately has less value then Manningham right now.

And I agree with you about Scott, but I wouldn't get too over excited just yet.

Coby Fleener, TE in the 1st

Bobbie Massie, OT in the 2nd

Bernard Pierce, RB in the 3rd

Jarius Wright, WR in the 4th

I'd be beyond pleased with this.

I like your top two choices but I've seen video of Pierce and I'm not sure he'll be any better than D.J. Ware. I love your selection of Wright, though. Quick feet, really fast, seems like a player that would thrive under Eli, and was a consistent performer at Arkansas.

I like your top two choices but I've seen video of Pierce and I'm not sure he'll be any better than D.J. Ware. I love your selection of Wright, though. Quick feet, really fast, seems like a player that would thrive under Eli, and was a consistent performer at Arkansas.

I've basically just read brief bios, others' opinions, and looked at draft projections. Pierce seemed to perform at that combine amongst the top 5 or 7 RBs fairly consistently. I figured that if he was around at the bottom of the 3rd, there would be some value there. Now, I don't put all my stock in strictly combine results, but I honestly haven't had the time to go on to watching film clips. If there's a better RB than Pierce at the bottom of the 3rd, than I'd be okay with that too.

On Wright, I may be stretching a bit on that one. I think he's a 4th rounder, but he could easily be a mid to high 4th rounder.

Yeah I agree, I don't think WR is as big a concern as some people would think with Manningham leaving. I'm sure it's possible that Reese could go WR in round 1 or 2, especially if he thinks he won't be able to afford Cruz after next year (he'll find a way to pay him). Even if they don't add another receiver, you have Hixon, Jernigan, and Barden in the mix for the 3rd receiver, and I'm sure Reese will find some diamond in the rough. Maybe Clayton and/or Devin Thomas are back (still love the potential of Thomas).

But back to TE, the Bennett signing was a quintessential stop-gap kind of signing. So I do feel that the Giants will want to address the TE position for the long term. And I don't think they want to do that with Bennett, Pascoe, or even Ballard. Those three guys can be valuable, but you want that guy that's more dangerous... and Fleener fits that bill. So I do think it's still a need because even with the Bennett signing you're only going to have Bennett, Pascoe and Hopkins (a practice squad player) on the roster as the tight ends to open the season (remember Ballard and Beckum will be on PUP).

I think there is incredible value in the first round if Fleener is there at 32, and there should be big value at RB at 32, also... so I expect (as of now) one of the three of Fleener, Wilson, or Miller) will be a Giant.

I don't think you're looking at the TE position quite the same way the Giant's staff does. Ballard was just as dangerous receiving as Boss, perhaps moreso. What he lacks is blocking ability. Even Bennett is known to be a decent blocker, which is probably a big reason we signed him.

Whichever TE we draft is probably going to be at least as good a blocker as he is a receiver. That's probably a big reason why Beckum hasn't played as much as we expected (well, that and he sucks). I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't draft TE until the later rounds, especially with a FA on hand.

I don't think you're looking at the TE position quite the same way the Giant's staff does. Ballard was just as dangerous receiving as Boss, perhaps moreso. What he lacks is blocking ability. Even Bennett is known to be a decent blocker, which is probably a big reason we signed him.

Whichever TE we draft is probably going to be at least as good a blocker as he is a receiver. That's probably a big reason why Beckum hasn't played as much as we expected (well, that and he sucks). I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't draft TE until the later rounds, especially with a FA on hand.

If Fleener's gone when we pick, I would agree with waiting to draft a TE. But I'm with Jim on this one. We need to draft a TE and RB in the top 3 rounds.

Gut feeling: The Giants will pick an offensive lineman in the first.. probably more of a center as I don't think that position can be improved upon. And I say this realizling we have other OLs already on the roster who are being groomed for the Guard position. Also, I can see 2012 where our young DTs step up paving the way for Canty to either take a pay cut or be cut... same goes for the safety position where I think Sash may have a huge upside paving the way for Rolle to be cut as his contract is massive.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Ballard, good sir! I think Ballard had pretty good hands, maybe better than Boss, in any case, his hands compare very favorably. Where Boss is much better is that he is faster and just a more fluid runner. Looking at Ballard run sometimes it almost looks like he is running in mud. I think Ballard was a band-aid on the TE situation when Ben Patrick abruptly retired. I think Ballard deserves a lot of credit, because he worked so hard and did all the studying with Eli to get on the field and so forth. I think we saw the best of Ballard this year. But I am convinced there were a lot of times, after re-watching some of our games, that Ballard struggled to get open because he is neither fast nor quick in and out of his breaks. I think he was able to settle in to soft spots in zones, and benefitted from all the attention that Nicks and Cruz received.

Where Fleener would be different is that he would command the same respect as Nicks and Cruz, and would give them more 1 on 1's. I've also looked at Fleener as a blocker and I really believe he will turn into a very good blocker in the NFL in a short amount of time. Of the video of Fleener I've seen where he's been a blocker, he's impressed me and holds up very nicely. So I don't think it would be a fair assessment of Fleener to say he's just a receiving TE or make a comparison to Beckum. He's the best combo TE in this draft and I think he compares very favorably to Jason Witten.

Sorry, Nas, I'm no help when it comes to college players. I really don't follow it much.

But I don't recall Kiper ever being able to predict what Reese does in the draft.

Bump...and one of the good things about Reese is that he will not overpay to keep mediocre to moderate talent that will eventually bust the bank even worse. I remember at the beginning of the salary cap days under Young...Jesus H. Christ...his watch word was loyalty to the current players (except Simms....Dan Reeves felt like shooting himself, Young and Dave Brown...when ordered to tell Simms to clean his locker....one of the worst Giants days ever) regardless of whether they could still perform and/or be projected to perform at current or higher levels over the length of the contract. And fuck Kiper anyway...the Giants lost half of their team to injury during training camp and still won the Super Bowl. Its not a one to one relationship from injuries to not being able to compete. That is why I am not concerned about Manningham...we have some guys on roster who may surpass him in every way.