SportsWrath

NFP: Why Victor Cruz Won't Get A Huge Payday

Mr. P

I believe this time next year we'll be talking nicks as an elite wr at all pro or pro bowl level. I really do. I think he's turned the corner and a lot of that has to do with cruz's emergence in the short game. The way I look at this is similar to the emergence of wayne chrebet at the time of keyshawn johnson. I believe johnson was the better wide receiver overall, but chrebet was so reliable that they threw a lot to him. Johnson clearly didn't like it and it affected his play. Nicks on the other hand has dealt with cruz's emergence very well and like a pro,so the dynamic is working (eli is a big part of this also). However, I think if the giants had to pick one over the other to pay big money, then it's nicks hands down.

great points and honestly i already think nicks is at that level. problem is he's not going to put up the calvin johnson numbers because he doesn't have the nate burleson's of the world on the other side of him now. plus we run the ball a lot. plus as osi said he seems to miss a game or two every season

I believe this time next year we'll be talking nicks as an elite wr at all pro or pro bowl level. I really do. I think he's turned the corner and a lot of that has to do with cruz's emergence in the short game. The way I look at this is similar to the emergence of wayne chrebet at the time of keyshawn johnson. I believe johnson was the better wide receiver overall, but chrebet was so reliable that they threw a lot to him. Johnson clearly didn't like it and it affected his play. Nicks on the other hand has dealt with cruz's emergence very well and like a pro,so the dynamic is working (eli is a big part of this also). However, I think if the giants had to pick one over the other to pay big money, then it's nicks hands down.

Quite true...there does not seem to be a jealousy factor here. The receivers the Giants have now don't seem to engage in that crap. Plus Eli is good at spreading the ball around. Now if we still had assholes like Shockey or Plax on the team...things would be different in a very negative way.

and I think that as long as each is getting their share, they'll continue to act well toward each other and about the situation.

It's when one is consistently getting 14 throws a game while the other is getting 5 that the wheels of team spirit will fall off the bus and not go round and round anymore.

Exactly.

and I think that as long as each is getting their share, they'll continue to act well toward each other and about the situation.

It's when one is consistently getting 14 throws a game while the other is getting 5 that the wheels of team spirit will fall off the bus and not go round and round anymore.

Think about it, Cruz is the kid that broke the Giants receiving record, Cruz is the kid on the tv on the shows doing the salsa, he's the kid with the t-shirts and overall getting all the attention. there were games this year where he was catching most of the passes and Nicks had maybe 2-3. Some were saying it was wrong that he wasn't picked for the pro bowl and no mention of Nicks. for a guy who was drafted no 1. He could have easily pissed and moaned about it.

Now I don't know Nicks Mentality, but the kid couldn't have handled it any better. And in the end, it was Nicks who looked the star, not saying Cruz played bad, he didn't. but Nicks was money in the playoffs, absolute money. That hail mary, not defended well to be sure, but Nicks made that catch and it was no fluke. I think we saw all we needed to see at the end of the year to know Nicks is the kid to lock up when the contract has to be renewed. And the Giants brass would have to be impressed with how he handled himself.

and to be honest, some Kudos should go to Manningham here, because he clearly was affected and lost a ton of plays and possibly millions left on the table losing his spot, yet the kid came up big in the playoffs. No matter what happens, i hope he gets paid. Couldn't be happier about a bunch of young wide receivers and how they handled themselves this year.

I know he did well for us, but think about how fucking Plaxico would have reacted to this. Jacobs could learn a lesson from them also.

great points and honestly i already think nicks is at that level. problem is he's not going to put up the calvin johnson numbers because he doesn't have the nate burleson's of the world on the other side of him now. plus we run the ball a lot. plus as osi said he seems to miss a game or two every season

Truth is, while Calvin Johnson is playing in this league, Nicks will never be higher than second best. calvin Johnson is an animal, and Stafford must pray and say thanks every day he gets to throw passes to him. It's like chuck it and he caught it. It is what it is.

Well said Booyah.

Nicks has great character and is a team player. It's funny that he fell to us in the draft due to character/weight concerns lol. He's as classy as they come. He takes after Eli. This guy must be locked up to a 6 year contract soon. He's also a phenomenal run blocker.

Think about it, Cruz is the kid that broke the Giants receiving record, Cruz is the kid on the tv on the shows doing the salsa, he's the kid with the t-shirts and overall getting all the attention. there were games this year where he was catching most of the passes and Nicks had maybe 2-3. Some were saying it was wrong that he wasn't picked for the pro bowl and no mention of Nicks. for a guy who was drafted no 1. He could have easily pissed and moaned about it.

Now I don't know Nicks Mentality, but the kid couldn't have handled it any better. And in the end, it was Nicks who looked the star, not saying Cruz played bad, he didn't. but Nicks was money in the playoffs, absolute money. That hail mary, not defended well to be sure, but Nicks made that catch and it was no fluke. I think we saw all we needed to see at the end of the year to know Nicks is the kid to lock up when the contract has to be renewed. And the Giants brass would have to be impressed with how he handled himself.

and to be honest, some Kudos should go to Manningham here, because he clearly was affected and lost a ton of plays and possibly millions left on the table losing his spot, yet the kid came up big in the playoffs. No matter what happens, i hope he gets paid. Couldn't be happier about a bunch of young wide receivers and how they handled themselves this year.

I know he did well for us, but think about how fucking Plaxico would have reacted to this. Jacobs could learn a lesson from them also.

Agree with you Boo...Plax ...Shockey....would have been 100% All Time Big League A of HOLES if they were here with these kids.

Boo I love your analysis.. totally spot on. Our WR corp I hope can stay together.. the trio is lethal... add in a stud Rookie TE and we're easily the most lethal offense in the league.. or at least top 5. In defense of BJ he and AB are very good team mates who root for one another... BJ knows his value and all but hinted he'd accept a lower pay to stay in Blue... I don't see our RB game being an issue if BJ and AB stay and hopefully Scott gets it together this year.

This allows us to focus on TE OL and maybe LB if the FO doesn't feel we have a stud already with the group we have. I wouldn't be suprised to see Eli restructures.. and to see Canty either restructuring or cut... not because he isn't good .. he is.. just not worth the huge salary he's commanding... expect Rolle to restructure.. he's the 2nd highest paid on the team... good player but doesn't live up to the pay grade.

i meant johnson's numbers because he had top wr numbers this season, not johnson himself.

No, i know what you meant. But I still believe what i said. Johnson is the best wide receiver in ages and what makes it worse is he's so damn big he's near impossible to contain.

Boo I love your analysis.. totally spot on. Our WR corp I hope can stay together.. the trio is lethal... add in a stud Rookie TE and we're easily the most lethal offense in the league.. or at least top 5. In defense of BJ he and AB are very good team mates who root for one another... BJ knows his value and all but hinted he'd accept a lower pay to stay in Blue... I don't see our RB game being an issue if BJ and AB stay and hopefully Scott gets it together this year.

This allows us to focus on TE OL and maybe LB if the FO doesn't feel we have a stud already with the group we have. I wouldn't be suprised to see Eli restructures.. and to see Canty either restructuring or cut... not because he isn't good .. he is.. just not worth the huge salary he's commanding... expect Rolle to restructure.. he's the 2nd highest paid on the team... good player but doesn't live up to the pay grade.

Reese was on NFL Network today and said he can't make commitments to manningham because they have to settle the cap issue first, he more or less admitted manningham will test free agency and that he understood why he would. Also briefly addressed they would try to do something with Osi.

back to what you said Nas, I think the running game should improve if Baas/Boothe and Snee get another year on that line together. But I do think Jacobs should be gone. He knows he's going to have to restructure and frankly it's his own fault he has to, he never established himself this year. Seriously, what exactly are we losing now if he was released?. A few "wow" moments here and there?. He barely played in the superbowl, he's not reliable in short yardage at all and still won't hit the hole hard enough. There's no way from here on in that there's a running back dispute, Bradshaw is clearly number one doing all the things Jacobs should do. It's a shame because he is a physical specimen. But if it were me, I'd let him go and try and get one of the running backs in the 2nd round. DJ Ware needs to be kicked to the curb and frankly I think Darel Scott is not up to it.

As far Canty and Rolle, they probably will redo the contracts. canty should anyway. Rolle definitely has space to do it, I don't blame the guy for the money he makes, I think it was fairly clear when we signed him we paid him too much, but that said he brought the ability to play safety and corner if needed and at a high level, so he had some worth.

Reese was on NFL Network today and said he can't make commitments to manningham because they have to settle the cap issue first, he more or less admitted manningham will test free agency and that he understood why he would. Also briefly addressed they would try to do something with Osi.

back to what you said Nas, I think the running game should improve if Baas/Boothe and Snee get another year on that line together. But I do think Jacobs should be gone. He knows he's going to have to restructure and frankly it's his own fault he has to, he never established himself this year. Seriously, what exactly are we losing now if he was released?. A few "wow" moments here and there?. He barely played in the superbowl, he's not reliable in short yardage at all and still won't hit the hole hard enough. There's no way from here on in that there's a running back dispute, Bradshaw is clearly number one doing all the things Jacobs should do. It's a shame because he is a physical specimen. But if it were me, I'd let him go and try and get one of the running backs in the 2nd round. DJ Ware needs to be kicked to the curb and frankly I think Darel Scott is not up to it.

As far Canty and Rolle, they probably will redo the contracts. canty should anyway. Rolle definitely has space to do it, I don't blame the guy for the money he makes, I think it was fairly clear when we signed him we paid him too much, but that said he brought the ability to play safety and corner if needed and at a high level, so he had some worth.

I can go with this as well. Jacobs is the juvenile delinquent always asking for another chance...sometimes tough love is the best man.