SportsWrath

Giants Need To Think About RB

nosebleedjints

That's what they said about Joe Montgomery.

Remember him?

Do we want to have our season if Tiki gets injured in his hands?

Joe Montogmery's career was derailed by injuries. To my knowledge, Jacobs has no injury history.

I'd be a lot more comfortable with Jacobs and Ward handling RB duties than any rookie outside of Reggie Bush.

Maroney. Good player, no more talented than Jacobs or Ward. Plus, the offensive system he played in at Minnesota is far different than a pro style offense, which means he'll take time to master blitz pick-ups and mental nuances of the game.

If he's no more talented than Ward or Jacobs, then why is he 1st round talent as opposed to 4th round or waiver wired?

I suggest the Giants either draft a RB, or if one slips to them strongly consider taking him.

Yes, the Giants would be in trouble if Tiki got hurt, but if we prepare, we can do our best to make sure it does not ruin our season and likely one of the last oppurtunities for Strahan to get the ring.

Starting caliber running backs are available, look at this offseason with Mike Anderson, Jamel Lewis, Edgerrian James, plus the draft.

Having somebody who is either very talented, something more than a 4th rounder, or an experienced running back I would recommend considering.

At the very least, DO NOT make the error of thinking our RB is solid and no room needed for improvement next season.

Earlier in this thread, you criticized Jacobs and Ward for their lack of "NFL success," yet you are suggesting that bringing in first day RB will consitute adequate "preparation" for Tiki getting injured.

As far I'm concerned, the Giants are as prepared for Tiki getting hurt in 2006 (not 2006 and beyond) as they possibly can be, short of bringing in a successful pro RB in his prime....

If he's no more talented than Ward or Jacobs, then why is he 1st round talent as opposed to 4th round or waiver wired?

Are you honestly going to try to use draft position to justify talent? Please.

Earlier in this thread, you criticized Jacobs and Ward for their lack of "NFL success," yet you are suggesting that bringing in first day RB will consitute adequate "preparation" for Tiki getting injured.

As far I'm concerned, the Giants are as prepared for Tiki getting hurt in 2006 (not 2006 and beyond) as they possibly can be, short of bringing in a successful pro RB in his prime....

I disagree.

Ward is a waiver wire role player, and Jacobs is a 4th rounder.

I think if they had a proven NFL running back or a heir apparant 1st or 2nd round talent, we would be in the best preparation.

I disagree.

I think if they had a proven NFL running back or a heir apparant 1st or 2nd round talent, we would be in the best preparation.

Derrick Ward is Derrick Ward. Brandon Jacobs is Brandon Jacobs. Laurence Maroney is Laurence Maroney. Draft status is irrelevant, and I have no idea why you keep attributing a player's draft status to his ability. That's just lazy analysis ... have you ever seen Maroney, for example, actually play?

Still curious as to what "NFL success" Maroney and other Day 1 RBs have had...

Maroney. Good player, no more talented than Jacobs or Ward. Plus, the offensive system he played in at Minnesota is far different than a pro style offense, which means he'll take time to master blitz pick-ups and mental nuances of the game.

Word is the Giants love Maroney and see a resemblance with him and Tiki. So I wouldn't be shocked if we took him at 25 but if we had to pick between Maroney and Deangelo, I'd say Deangelo.

Maroney needs to improve his pass catching skills though.

I have no problem with the status of our running backs right now...but if Deangelo Williams were there at 25 and we happened to take him I wouldn't be dissapointed at all....Heck, we are actually in a position where we can afford to simply take the best player available...

Edited by shockjock

Derrick Ward is Derrick Ward. Brandon Jacobs is Brandon Jacobs. Laurence Maroney is Laurence Maroney. Draft status is irrelevant, and I have no idea why you keep attributing a player's draft status to his ability. That's just lazy analysis ... have you ever seen Maroney, for example, actually play?

Still curious as to what "NFL success" Maroney and other Day 1 RBs have had...

This is the problem with draft time....

always a good post money...

everyone thinks they know something...

what do you think of Jacobs? and do you think there is a chance we take a WR first?

I would not understand EA if he drafted a RB (maroney) or any other R Back

with the 1st pick. In fact a RB in this draft doesnt make sense.

Worrying about Tiki is a waste of time. He simply cant be replaced BUT we

have the RB's available right now on our roster to fill the hole. A rookie no matter

how great wouldnt do any better than the players we have on the team

currently. None of these RB we have had many carries and of course why would they

with Tiki in the line up but Ward in my opinion is very impressive.

Jacobs and Morton have great talent as well.

Lets get our D problems solved first.

It never hurts to be deep at running back, and adding another running back as insurance for Tiki Barber isn't the worst idea in the world. If Barber happens to get injured this year, I don't think anyone is suggesting that a rookie is going to come in and take over the reigns, but more of a running back by committee.

Worth repeating: you're kidding, right? After Barber, there is no one on the Giants roster who can carry the ball with any success.

I'm not saying i disagree with you, but i also cant agree......to really get a feel for what jacobs can do i would like to see him get 20-25 touches in a game......its hard to produce when everybody knows whats coming

Word is the Giants love Maroney and see a resemblance with him and Tiki. So I wouldn't be shocked if we took him at 25 but if we had to pick between Maroney and Deangelo, I'd say Deangelo.

Maroney needs to improve his pass catching skills though.

I get the feeling that Jints Central is feeding beat writers like Palmer and Garafolo misinformation...

I have no problem with the status of our running backs right now...but is Deangelo Williams were there at 25 and we happened to take him I wouldn't be dissapointed at all....Heck, we are actually in a position where we can afford to simply take the best player available...

I might be able to live with D'Lo Williams; the guy is a stud in every sense of the word. He had two 2,000-yard season playing for an under-talented Memphis team.

If the Giants take Maroney ahead of Williams, they're nuts.

I would not understand EA if he drafted a RB (maroney) or any other R Back

with the 1st pick. In fact a RB in this draft doesnt make sense.

Worrying about Tiki is a waste of time. He simply cant be replaced BUT we

have the RB's available right now on our roster to fill the hole. A rookie no matter

how great wouldnt do any better than the players we have on the team

currently. None of these RB we have had many carries and of course why would they

with Tiki in the line up but Ward in my opinion is very impressive.

Jacobs and Morton have great talent as well.

Lets get our D problems solved first.

Excellent post! :rock:

Another thing to keep in mind. After receiving a 4-year deal, Chad Morton is a lock to make the 2006 roster and probably the 2007 roster as well. That means that whatever RB the Giants bring in, draft or otherwise, will be competing with Derrick Ward for one spot...

Another thing to keep in mind. After receiving a 4-year deal, Chad Morton is a lock to make the 2006 roster and probably the 2007 roster as well. That means that whatever RB the Giants bring in, draft or otherwise, will be competing with Derrick Ward for one spot...

and that tells you that the odds of them drafting a RB may be slim to none!!

If you have this info so does the staff so were back to Defense

a OT or WR.

Do you think theres a possibility of a TE on Sunday ?

Hound mentioned TE T.J. Williams - N.C. State

Is this necessary ?

I thought that Shiancoe was becoming a decent blocker and

improving as a receiver.

I disagree.

Curtis Martin was a 3rd rounder. Ron Dayne was a 1st. Priest Holmes undrafted. Rashaan Saleem 1st rounder.

My question to you for 500 points ... who were the bust?

and that tells you that the odds of them drafting a RB may be slim to none!!

If you have this info so does the staff so were back to Defense

a OT or WR.

Do you think theres a possibility of a TE on Sunday ?

Hound mentioned TE T.J. Williams - N.C. State

Is this necessary ?

I thought that Shiancoe was becoming a decent blocker and

improving as a receiver.

I like our TE situation. Shockey is great, I like Shiancoe's blocking, and Sean Berton is a tremendous special teams player (made a lot of big blocks last year)...

first sorrry for not quoting this but somebody earlier in the thread asked if you would take White at 56

are you kidding me hell yeah i would i would take him first round he is a hell of a football player peroid he knows how to play the game he might not be the combine star Mario Williams is but the man can play and for the critics saying he put on weight and out of shape let me tell you one thing he weighed in at 248 guess what he played at in the Rose Bowl yep 252 :LMAO::LMAO: not to mention when he weighed 248 he was on a pulled hammy he has already stated what he did was wrong with not training hard enough and all, he has his head on straight and will be a hell of a running back would not surprise me to be the best in the draft class