SportsWrath

Giants Need To Think About RB

nosebleedjints

Have you seen the way Accorsi and Coughlin have talked about Jacobs? They think he is a special talent with ability to be a star. Accorsi went as far to say that Jacobs was the pick he was most excited about last year.

I think it's comical to assume that Jacobs "flaw" is overwhelmingly difficult to correct. Tiki completely reinvented his running style and has become a different player. If that can happen, Jacobs can certainly lean forward a bit more when he runs. Saying that Tiki's transformation was easier than Jacobs refining his running technique is either a disservice to the work Tiki did or simply a misanalysis of Jacobs as a player.

Jacobs is bigger, healthier, faster, and more motivated than LenDale White. White would be a horrid pick for us at 25. Out of curiousity, did Derrick Ward spontaneously combust? If not, White would sit behind him as well.

Good luck getting Domanick Davis, considering he recently signed an extension.

Actually, EA said that he had a sleep less night hoping Jacobs would fall to our slot.

At #56, would you take White?

Have you seen the way Accorsi and Coughlin have talked about Jacobs? They think he is a special talent with ability to be a star. Accorsi went as far to say that Jacobs was the pick he was most excited about last year.

I think it's comical to assume that Jacobs "flaw" is overwhelmingly difficult to correct. Tiki completely reinvented his running style and has become a different player. If that can happen, Jacobs can certainly lean forward a bit more when he runs. Saying that Tiki's transformation was easier than Jacobs refining his running technique is either a disservice to the work Tiki did or simply a misanalysis of Jacobs as a player.

Jacobs is bigger, healthier, faster, and more motivated than LenDale White. White would be a horrid pick for us at 25. Out of curiousity, did Derrick Ward spontaneously combust? If not, White would sit behind him as well.

Good luck getting Domanick Davis, considering he recently signed an extension.

What are they gonna say, that they don't think he's any good?

Tiki rasied his arm higher when he runs, not discrediting him at all, many runningbacks would not be as acceptable to altering their runningstyle. but fact is leaning forward while running with the football is a "natural" instinct, not something that should take alot of thought, the fact that Jacobs run upright worries me because it will be harder to correct, it's a style of running, not a flaw in technique, those are different things.

Jacobs was a 3rd round pick, Lendale was widely considered to be a top 10 pick prior to a hamstring injury, and he will still be a first round pick. Now, obviously being picked in round one does not garuntee success, just as being picked in round 7 does not automatically mean failer, but there are reasons each player is/was rated where they are. Jacobs could be great and Lendale could be terrible, but at this point it's safer to assume Lendale will have a better career.

yes, I know Davis resigned, actually I beleive you pointed that out last night, thats why I said it was less likely, doesn't mean he is untouchable.

And yes, Lendale would sit behind Ward (probobly), but I was thinking more in terms of a long term replacement to Tiki, not a short term back up.

What are they gonna say, that they don't think he's any good?

Tiki rasied his arm higher when he runs, not discrediting him at all, many runningbacks would not be as acceptable to altering their runningstyle. but fact is leaning forward while running with the football is a "natural" instinct, not something that should take alot of thought, the fact that Jacobs run upright worries me because it will be harder to correct, it's a style of running, not a flaw in technique, those are different things.

Jacobs was a 3rd round pick, Lendale was widely considered to be a top 10 pick prior to a hamstring injury, and he will still be a first round pick. Now, obviously being picked in round one does not garuntee success, just as being picked in round 7 does not automatically mean failer, but there are reasons each player is/was rated where they are. Jacobs could be great and Lendale could be terrible, but at this point it's safer to assume Lendale will have a better career.

yes, I know Davis resigned, actually I beleive you pointed that out last night, thats why I said it was less likely, doesn't mean he is untouchable.

And yes, Lendale would sit behind Ward (probobly), but I was thinking more in terms of a long term replacement to Tiki, not a short term back up.

TC could give his "he's an outstanding football player" jargon, or Accorsi could make his stupid Bert Jones comparison. Both called him a special talent, which means a lot.

Tiki revamped his entire running style, not just his technique for carrying to ball. He had to adjust his running style to accomodate his new method for carrying the ball. There were a ton of stories in summer 2004 about Tiki adjusting to the "awkward" feeling. Jacobs has far less to do to maximize his performance. You make it sound like he's eternally doomed. He's has to bend a bit more, not overcome an absence of talent (like a certain QB we have).

Jacobs was actually picked in the 4th round. History suggests that successful players emerge from any and every round. I don't agree that LenDale being a 1st round pick means it's more likely that he'll be successful than Brandon...that type of logic is overly generalized. I think both will be successful, and their success is completely independent of their draft status.

Davis signing a recent extension makes him untouchable from the Texans stand-point because of the cap hit they'd have to incur by trading him.

There isn't a spot on this team for LenDale, short-term. The Giants aren't carrying more than 4 RBs, and right now LenDale cannot possibly supplant Tiki, Jacobs, Ward, or Morton. Plus, RB is a position where talent is not difficult to find. If the team decided they needed help at RB, they don't need to invest a 1st round pick in a tubby RB with a shredded hamstring.

He's has to bend a bit more, not overcome an absence of talent (like a certain QB we have).

I missed that the first time through. Funny how you have become so critical of Eli after he had a very succesfull year yet defend Jacobs after a mediocre year at best.

If you were not refering to Eli, I appologize.

He's has to bend a bit more, not overcome an absence of talent (like a certain QB we have).

I missed that the first time through. Funny how you have become so critical of Eli after he had a very succesfull year yet defend Jacobs after a mediocre year at best.

If you were not refering to Eli, I appologize.

So critical?

You ripped me when I said that <_<

I disagreed when you said that his running style is conducive to fumbling while citing a non-fumble in the Saints game.

And really, I'm not all that sold his running style is a problem. From time to time it hurts his power, but it also probably helps his vision and help him in the open field (something he did not have many opportunities to do last year). Eric Dickerson and Eddie George each ran pretty upright too (Dickerson especially)...

I think Lendale White is the candidate for dropping into the second round. I thought maybe he'd do a Willis Mcgahee and get drafted late in the first but i just can't see it now. But I think who ever gets him is going to get a steal. This kid was real good in college, just the guy ahead of him was a bit special

I think Lendale White is the candidate for dropping into the second round. I thought maybe he'd do a Willis Mcgahee and get drafted late in the first but i just can't see it now. But I think who ever gets him is going to get a steal. This kid was real good in college, just the guy ahead of him was a bit special

if Lendale can prove hes good, yeah ill take him, he was good in college yes but then when it mattered(the combine and pro day) he sucked so he probably is fine and im a USC fan but i need to see how he is on the field

He's a terrific player, but I would have to be concerned about his ability to stay in shape ... judging by his pre-draft behavior. I think he'll go late 1st, to either Carolina or Pittsburgh.

if Lendale can prove hes good, yeah ill take him, he was good in college yes but then when it mattered(the combine and pro day) he sucked so he probably is fine and im a USC fan but i need to see how he is on the field

He sucked? He didn't even work out. If you mean he sucked in that he was out of shape and did not work out, then I agree...

He's a terrific player, but I would have to be concerned about his ability to stay in shape ... judging by his pre-draft behavior. I think he'll go late 1st, to either Carolina or Pittsburgh.

Well, that's almost the 2nd round. But yeah, i could see Pittsburgh take a chance on him. They've nothing to lose and there's a spot open.

whoa! when it mattered.... pro day and the combine!?!?! i think this epitomizes the problem that many people have with the draft. they think it's only about numbers and 40 times, bench reps and shuttle runs. then they overlook someones entire career with a line that it doesnt matter!?? this is why someone as good as tatupa dropped last year because people refuse to acknowledge consistent play and production if someone doesn't meet the ideal measurements. while every year there are players that have been non-productive their entire football lives but perform well at the combine so they get drafted higher than they should. just remember that it's about resuts, not 40 speed. lendale white PROVED IN COLLEGE that he has the talent to be a great NFL running back and as a USC fan (hard to believe) you should know that more than anyone. you shouldnt need him to run a 40 to prove it to you.

whoa! when it mattered.... pro day and the combine!?!?! i think this epitomizes the problem that many people have with the draft. they think it's only about numbers and 40 times, bench reps and shuttle runs. then they overlook someones entire career with a line that it doesnt matter!?? this is why someone as good as tatupa dropped last year because people refuse to acknowledge consistent play and production if someone doesn't meet the ideal measurements. while every year there are players that have been non-productive their entire football lives but perform well at the combine so they get drafted higher than they should. just remember that it's about resuts, not 40 speed. lendale white PROVED IN COLLEGE that he has the talent to be a great NFL running back and as a USC fan (hard to believe) you should know that more than anyone. you shouldnt need him to run a 40 to prove it to you.

Good post.

Guest So.Cal Dub

Lendale would be dream to have on the team, but like I've said before, we're not many positions from a Championship, so why draft a RB when we dont need it?

How exactly is Brandon Jacobs a project? The guy was an impact player on the college level, played great when given a chance in preseason, and performed his role well during the regular season.

Why do people keep excluding Derrick Ward? He's a good player. No rookie not named Reggie Bush is going to come in outplay Ward or Jacobs.

BTW, Accorsi said in a recent interview that the Giants see Jacobs both as Tiki's replacement and as a special player....

The guy from Minnesota who the Colts figure to take as James replacement is a certain 1st year starter and impact player.

What is with you and the stupid reference to the Jets and their QB situation and comparing it to the Giants RB "situation". This is so dumb. We are not thin at RB. Believe me if anything happens Tiki the Giants will certainly turn to Jacobs/ Ward. I don't think their is anybody in the Giants org that wouldn't be curious to see what Jacobs could do with more downs, it just won't be at the expense of Tiki .

At worse the Giants can pick up backup in the 2nd round of cuts in June, where there will be plenty of guys floating around looking for work.

Very dumb indeed when you consider both the Giants of 2006 and Jets 1999 and 2005 teams were coming off playoff seasons and added players (Ty Law) to try and take it the next level on the Jets had injuries to Testaverde (1999), Martin, and Pennington (2005) skilled positions which negated all the otherwise improvement and derailed their season.

I would hate for the Giants whose sucess is based a lot on the skill of Tiki to be without a sufficent replacement should the unbearable happen, as with Strahan time is awaiting, and it would as VA Giant said be too bad for us to negate the improved defense we made.

Ward isn't a starting caliber RB? Fine. That doesn't make him a bad player, nor does it mean he can't fill in adequately should Tiki get injured. How many NFL teams have multiple starting caliber RBs? Hell, how many NFL teams have 1 starting caliber RB?

I love how people argue that the Giants are in trouble if Tiki gets injured. No shit. That's that nature of the game ... that's also why some guys are starters and most guys are back-ups. I'll save you the suspense, if back-ups are "starting caliber" players, then they generally don't remain back-ups for long. Accomplished, starting caliber RBs aren't exactly consistently available.

What exactly are you suggesting the Giants do? Draft a RB? That would certainly contradict your "NFL success" and "experience" rhetoric....

I suggest the Giants either draft a RB, or if one slips to them strongly consider taking him.

Yes, the Giants would be in trouble if Tiki got hurt, but if we prepare, we can do our best to make sure it does not ruin our season and likely one of the last oppurtunities for Strahan to get the ring.

Starting caliber running backs are available, look at this offseason with Mike Anderson, Jamel Lewis, Edgerrian James, plus the draft.

Having somebody who is either very talented, something more than a 4th rounder, or an experienced running back I would recommend considering.

At the very least, DO NOT make the error of thinking our RB is solid and no room needed for improvement next season.

I saw enough from him in preseason to see that he is special talent who could become a special player with some experience and technique refinement. Fortunately, playing behind a guy like Tiki can really help from a mental standpoint.

That's what they said about Joe Montgomery.

Remember him?

Do we want to have our season if Tiki gets injured in his hands?

The guy from Minnesota who the Colts figure to take as James replacement is a certain 1st year starter and impact player.

Maroney. Good player, no more talented than Jacobs or Ward. Plus, the offensive system he played in at Minnesota is far different than a pro style offense, which means he'll take time to master blitz pick-ups and mental nuances of the game.