SportsWrath

TE Schuylar Oordt cut

BleedinBlue

The Rams cut rookie Schuylar Oordt yesterday and is available. He's a big target TE who is a better reciever than blocker at this stage of the game. He was projected to go anywhere from 3rd to 4th round pick, but went undrafted.

He'd be a project for sure, but how many pass catching, fast, athletic, 6'6" Tight Ends are there out there? I think we should pick him up and groom him on the practice squad.

His pluses:

Huge: 6'6"

Fast: ran 40/4.57 at combine

Very athletic

Negatives:

Raw

Needs time to mature

Needs to learn how to block at a high level

---------------------------

here's Sports Illustrated take on him:

Positives: "Tall, athletic tight end prospect with a large amount of upside. Fluid releasing off the line, plays with good knee bend, and easily moves about the field. Shows a lot of quickness in his overall game, runs solid routes, and easily adjusts or gets vertical to make the reception. Runs laterally with speed, consistently gets into the secondary creating mismatches, and easily makes the reception in stride. Finds the open spot in the defense and extends his hands to offer the quarterback a target. Displays soft hands."

Negatives: Lacks functional football strength and gets minimal movement as a blocker. Blocks with a narrow base. Unnecessarily leaves his feet to make the reception on occasion.

Analysis: Oordt is a sensational athlete who struggled to see consistent starting action at Northern Iowa due to the depth of talent in the program. He's a top developmental prospect who should see the field early in his NFL career as a second tight end and eventually grow to the top man on the depth chart.

It's late in the game now, but I wouldn't mind bringing him in for sure. We have Beckum, Ballard, and Pascoe, who is doubling right now as the team's fullback. I think we should bring him in. The Rams also drafted Lance Kendricks in the 3rd round, I believe it was, so they may felt that only one rookie was going to make it at the position group anyway, and Kendricks was going to win that.

I'd at least be on the phone with Spags to see what he thinks of the kid.

I like BIG Tight Ends....the bigger the better. Beckum is 6'2 1/2"....Coates is 6'2". Ballard is 6'6", but hasn't shown much flash and isn't a "pass catching TE".

The average TE is 6'5" or taller. Boss was 6'6" and was a prototypical TE, albeit, not as fast as this guy Oordt. I also like the idea of grooming a genuine "pass catching TE" with "soft hands" for the future.

I don't like having the two smallest TE's in all the NFL. Tight Ends are supposed to be BIG bruising easy targets for the QB.

I would defnitely give Spags a call if I was TC. Get the inside scoop on the kid. I suspect that the Giants are eyeballing all the cut players and are looking for a veteran TE.

Lol maybe if you payed attention

Rams also drafted TE

In round 3 so it was a long shot for him to make it to begin with. Maybe this is Spags sending us a gift.

Way to get that info AFTER I said what I said and try and use it as your own. :rolleyes:

Take your own advice brutha, the 3 you mentioned are better than a ROOKIE.