SportsWrath

In a sworn affadavit, Osi Umenyiora says the Giants broke their promise to him

Mr. P

New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora spells out why he has wanted out of New York in a sworn affadavit to be filed in federal court in Minnesota next month as part of the players' antitrust lawsuit against the NFL.

Umenyiora states Giants general manager Jerry Reese did not follow through on promises to renegotiate his contract, which the Pro Bowl defensive end still has not forgotten and could contribute to his departure before the 2011 season, whenever it begins.

"In early April 2008, approximately two weeks before the start of the New York Giants offseason conditioning program, I, Osi Umenyiora, had a meeting with the general manager of the New York Giants, Mr. Jerry Reese," Umenyiora testified this past April.

"After about an hour of discussing my current contract, as well as the contracts of other defensive ends currently playing in the National Football League, Mr. Reese told me that two years from the start of the 2008 league year, if I was currently playing at a high level, we?d either renegotiate my current contract so that it would be equal to that of the top five defensive ends playing or I would be traded to a team that would do that.

"Before leaving the meeting, I asked Mr. Reese twice if he was absolutely sure that would be the case. He then told me that he was an honest and church-going man and that he would not lie, which I believed to the be the case. Under the penalty of perjury these statements are true and accurate."

The NFL Players Association felt Umenyiora has suffered irreparable harm, which is one of the main reasons it sought out Umenyiora as one of the plaintiffs in the Brady vs. NFL antitrust case, which the former union filed shortly after decertifying. The NFLPA plans to file the sworn affidavits of select plaintiffs in the lawsuit.

The Giants declined comment due to the ongoing litigation.

Whenever the lockout is lifted, the Giants will face a critical decision on Umenyiora, who has two years left on a contract that is scheduled to pay him about $3.5 million this season.

For now, it appears as if Umenyiora has made up his mind. The 29-year-old Umenyiora recently moved out of his New Jersey home with plans to take up full-time residence in Atlanta, where he has spent much of his time over the past six years.

This offseason, Umenyiora underwent surgery to have a piece of bone removed from his hip, an injury that bothered him throughout last season, when it felt as if he was being jabbed on each play. Umenyiora is said to feel fully recovered and ready for football.

He repeatedly has sought a contract extension or a trade to a team willing to give him one. Umenyiora certainly no longer sounds confident it will come from the Giants, who used their top pick last year on defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul.

In 2008, Umenyiora suffered a season-ending left knee injury in the preseason. In 2009, Umenyiora started 16 games, registered 11 sacks, four forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries. Last season, Umenyiora started all 16 games and had 11.5 sacks and 10 forced fumbles. Umenyiora's last contract extension came in December 2005, when he signed a six-year, $41 million contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6667679

He could solve the Tuck/Osi/Kiwi/JPP logjam issue for us.

"After about an hour of discussing my current contract, as well as the contracts of other defensive ends currently playing in the National Football League, Mr. Reese told me that two years from the start of the 2008 league year, if I was currently playing at a high level, we?d either renegotiate my current contract so that it would be equal to that of the top five defensive ends playing or I would be traded to a team that would do that.

Hmm, sure he didn't say "if you're playing at a high level for the next two years"? You did sit one of those years out, then played pretty poorly for the next year.

This also proves that a deal is nowhere close to being done. They pretty much got to a point where they wantedto walk out on each other Tuesday, and the only reason they are talking is cause the courts are making them. All that talk about a deal in 2-4 weeks is bullshit. It was just a ploy to have fans get their hopes up, no what I am even more pissed off now. They are further apart after Tuesday, then were before. See ya season

sounds like reece is a lying son of bitch.

why is it when someone says theyre churchgoing to describe their character, theyre almost always liars. :banana:

Shut your mouth when talkin about Reese like that. Hes done a fine job over all. You wanna talk assholes, look no further than your teams owner.

sounds like reece is a lying son of bitch.

why is it when someone says theyre churchgoing to describe their character, theyre almost always liars. :banana:

lets look at reese's promise:

Mr. Reese told me that two years from the start of the 2008 league year, if I was currently playing at a high level, we?d either renegotiate my current contract so that it would be equal to that of the top five defensive ends playing or I would be traded to a team that would do that.

so 2 years after that was 1 year of him being in injured reserve, and 1 year of him losing his starting job during the season. is that playing at a high level?

Mr. Reese told me that two years from the start of the 2008 league year, if I was currently playing at a high level, we?d either renegotiate my current contract so that it would be equal to that of the top five defensive ends playing or I would be traded to a team that would do that.

so 2 years after that was 1 year of him being in injured reserve, and 1 year of him losing his starting job during the season. is that playing at a high level?

sorry guys i thought throwing a couple of bananas fucking in there would make it obvious i was being sarcastic

every player at some point in their career is going to be lied to by their gm. it's nature of the biz

sorry guys i thought throwing a couple of bananas fucking in there would make it obvious i was being sarcastic

every player at some point in their career is going to be lied to by their gm. it's nature of the biz

Looks like we're not the only ones that missed sarcasm. :rolleyes:

That would be why they are NFL players and not lawyers and businessmen.

Take a good look at those two seasons as others have in this thread and they can definitely see Umenyiora not living up to it. Umenyiora didn't get hurt on purpose and sure as hell didn't change defensive coordinators.

IMO, Umenyiora feels that the Giants broke their promise to him and at the same to he made a horrible business decision. Wasn't the first time for an NFL player and probably won't be the last.

I'm shocked. Osi should know that if it's not in written...especially when it comes to contracts...then "fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me."

Exactly what I was thinking. I wonder if Osi is not so good with the math that he doesn't realize his 2010 season came AFTER the 2 year promise.

Well if the deal was that he would trade him to someone that WOULD pay him as a top 5 DE, doesn't this law suit kind of presuppose that someone actually would have??

My guess is the answer before and after last season would be NO, nobody would pay him top 5 money right now.

I agree 100% with LeSean McCoy

Osi Umenyiora has not and never will be one of the top 5 defensive ends in the league. He's so clueless. He's had multiple years to step up and fill a pretty glaring leadership weakness and never has. He's actually been a fairly malcontent player, especially when it comes to his contract. He had a 6 year 41 million contract. That's what he deserves, nothing more. Plus, without Justin Tuck (and Big Mike before him), Osi would be nothing.