SportsWrath

Coach Coughlin

Lughead

Critiquing Rolle's Critique of Coughlin

Giants’ safety Antrel Rolle is at it again.

The Giants’ outspoken one, in an interview with former WFAN radio personality Sid Rosenberg, now with WQAM in Miami, said that he’s “not having the fun I’m used to having” playing for Giants head coach Tom Coughlin.

I respect Rolle. I think he is a good person who really does try to be a good football player and a good teammate. I think he has a lot of upside, event though he struggled a bit in coverage this year, and I think he is going to work his butt off to be an even better player next year.

However, I think that Rolle’s fatal flaw, if you will, is that he gets caught up on the quantity of what comes out of his mouth rather than the quality.

Let’s look at some of the latest “gems” to come from Rolle, with one for good measure from S Kenny Phillips, who also chimed in on the interview with Rosenberg.

“When you're talking about the coaching side of things, do I feel like things are a little too uptight? Yeah, I do. I feel like if he just loosened up just a little bit, still run the ship the way you want to run it, still run the program the way you want to run it but let us have a little fun, because at the end of the day that's what it's all about.”

At the end of the day, it’s all about winning. Period. You win, you have fun. You lose, then coming to work is going to be harder, no question.

Every coach goes about it differently – you have the Bill Belichicks and Tom Coughlins of the world, and then you have the Rex Ryans and Ken Whisehunts.

Is one style better than the other? Belichick and Coughlin have won five Super Bowls between them. Whisenhunt and Ryan currently have zero combined.

Not to speak for Rolle, but I think the reason why he is so intrigued with how Ryan runs his program is because the players can say whatever they want without fear of punishment, an atmosphere that has to appeal to the outspoken as Rolle.

For instance, last week Jets CB Antonio Cromartie called Patriots’ QB Tom Brady an “a-hole.” C Nick Mangold made a not-so subtle reference to “SpyGate” when speaking about WR Wes Welker. Neither man was punished or reprimanded by Ryan, who simply shrugged it off.

However, when Welker put together a rather clever routine that consisted of several references intended to take a poke at Ryan’s alleged foot fetish, Belichick punished the receiver by benching him for the first series.

Is that really Rolle’ idea of having fun, being able to be a verbal bully?

Consider this. When Rolle initially made waves by questioning Coughlin after the loss to the Colts, he was called into the principal’s office where he had his hand slapped and was reportedly told to install a buffer before speaking.

The next day, he was quickly backtracking and trying to stuff the toothpaste back into the tube, all while probably biting is tongue so hard that it’s a miracle he was able to say anything after that.

Yeah, it must be fun to work in an environment where you’re not held accountable for what comes out of your mouth. In fact it must be the American dream. Too bad real life doesn't work that way.

“Since I’ve been playing the game since the age of six, to me it’s never been about the money, it’s never been about anything more than winning and having fun.”

Of all the things Rolle said, this is the one I believe the least . It’s ALWAYS about the money. If it wasn’t, then why accept a free agent contract that made you the highest paid at your position despite, as Rolle claimed in his first conference call with the Giants media, “The Cardinals were willing to match any offer the Giants had on the table.”?

If it wasn’t about money, then why didn’t he return to the Cardinals, a team that Rolle said in the WQAM interview, “had fun when we won and we had fun when we lost”?

Why?

“For the most part, when I came here to visit the New York Giants, it reminded me of a feeling I once had when I went to visit the University of Miami when I was being recruited at the collegiate level,” Rolle explained in that same conference call . “I just felt like I was at home here.”

Alright then!

“If you match us up against the Jets, do I think they're a better team? No, I don't think so at all. However, when it comes to their chemistry, I think their chemistry might be better than ours. I think they have a lot more fun than we have.”

I take issue with this comment for the very same reason why the players take issue with the media when we try to portray what goes on in the locker room as though we’re there as long as the player are each day. (For the record, the media gets about 2-4 sessions per week for about 45 minutes a pop, excluding game day. The players, by contrast, are there for about 8+ hours a day.)

Rolle is NOT in the Jets locker room every day (and if a player is sitting there keeping a close eye on what’s going on in another team’s locker room instead of taking care of his own Ps and Qs during the season, that’s not good.)

His perception of what goes on comes from media reports during the post season, when everyone is rejuvenated. Sure, maybe he gets an opportunity to call a player or two up here and there to talk about things. The point is you can’t just look at a couple of weeks – you have to look at the entire season, and I’m sure that when the Jets had their struggles, the chemistry came into question – it would only be natural.

(I have to toss in the following one from S Kenny Phillips, who joined Rolle on the interview with Rosenberg.)

“I would love to play for a guy like Rex. He goes to bat for his players. He'll take the blame, he allows you to be you. He's not asking you to hide. If you're a guy who likes to talk, go out and talk, long as you back it up. Like ‘trel said, His guys are playing for him and I'd love to be a part of that.”

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. I’ve been at every Coughlin press conference/conference call this year. I have the transcripts. NOT ONCE was I able to find an instance where Coughlin threw anyone under the bus for their shortcomings. NOT ONE did I see Coughlin pass the buck for a loss -- even though he can’t be blamed for some of the stupidity that takes place on the field of play.

Is it so wrong that Coughlin wants his players to take pride and do well?

There’s something in Phillips’ statement, though, that I think underscores the issues that both he and Rolle – and perhaps other players for all we know -- have with Coughlin’s coaching style:

“If you're a guy who likes to talk, go out and talk, long as you back it up.”

In my opinion, there is the crux of the issue -- that atttiude contradicts Coughlin's mantra, "Talk is cheap; play the game."

Both guys apparently like to talk. Neither really backed it up, though who knows? Maybe they thought they did.

One more from Rolle.

“At the end of the day, if I’m not doing what I need to do as a player, you come and tell me, and we sit down and talk about it and I’m going to try to do whatever I can to get better at it. That’s how I am,” Rolle said. “I take coaching; I can take the constructive criticism. That’s how I am. And I feel like everyone else in this league should also take it the same way.”

This one was interesting because as I said earlier, I have no doubts that after Rolle initially vented following the Indianapolis loss, he was spoken to by the team about being so outward with his opinions.

I have to believe that the Giants urged Rolle to bring any concerns he has about how things are done to the person with whom he has the issues, something I'd view as constructive criticism.

Has he done that? Has he taken the constructive criticism the way he said he would?

If he did, would we even be having this discussion?

http://trainathought.insidefootball.com/2011/01/critiquing-rolles-critique-of-coughlin-.html

Thank fuck he's no Rex Fucking Ryan. You want OUR coach trash-talking opposing players during interviews too? The guy's got an ego the size of his pants.

Ya see...I knew he was full of shit....from that whole call out the fans bullshit....man you just got here and full of lip.... :jerkoff:

So I should take Rolle's opinion on Coughlin over Michael Strahan's?

:jerkoff:

Rolle, for a 1 year Giant, has managed to analyze the coach, the locker room leadership, and the entire fanbase. This kid is amazing. He's like the Dr. Phil of the NFL.

I wish I was nearby when he called out the fans...I would have said something like...yo man I have been watching Giants football before you were a byblow by your Daddy....41 years of ups and down; Championships and failures; winning seasons and losing seasons; inspiring wins and unbelievably bad losses....so if I don't want to cheer when you or your team mates fuck up my Sunday again...well you can Rolle over and kiss my ass. :F-U:

good- he's a helluva player. he's just pissed he's watching the playoffs.

he's got a big mouth- so what?

I think He and Tiki, and perhaps a few others are trying to give you some insight into why the Giants are so often lethargic, un-inspired and accident prone

They lack a leader who can really connect with the troops

This, of course, comes as no shock to me. the old guy needs to step down.....what the F is still doing there??? <_<

even Parcells had the good sense to walk away a winner, pride intact.

Coughlin needs to get some sort of back office job if he is to stay in the NFL......he might not make sucha bad commissioner or chief of officials blah blah blah

I think He and Tiki, and perhaps a few others are trying to give you some insight into why the Giants are so often lethargic, un-inspired and accident prone

They lack a leader who can really connect with the troops

This, of course, comes as no shock to me. the old guy needs to step down.....what the F is still doing there??? <_<

even Parcells had the good sense to walk away a winner, pride intact.

Coughlin needs to get some sort of back office job if he is to stay in the NFL......he might not make sucha bad commissioner or chief of officials blah blah blah

Jack, you've convinced me. This team will never win the Big One with Coughlin at the helm.

Much rather have a coach that hasn't won shit, but let's the players have fun.

After all, as a fan for over 30 years, my best memories are of happy players.

I still remember that one game when Jarrod Bunch was laughing on the sidelines....man, that was fucking awesome.

good- he's a helluva player. he's just pissed he's watching the playoffs.

he's got a big mouth- so what?

I agree, I am glad we have him. He doesn't need to be saying this stuff about Coughlin though at least not to the NY media. We were 7 1/2 minutes away from playing GB in the NFC Championship game Sunday. Things could be worse.

Jack, you've convinced me. This team will never win the Big One with Coughlin at the helm.

Much rather have a coach that hasn't won shit, but let's the players have fun.

After all, as a fan for over 30 years, my best memories are of happy players.

I still remember that one game when Jarrod Bunch was laughing on the sidelines....man, that was fucking awesome.

Maybe we can pry Wade Phillips away from the Texans. All the Cowboys loved him and all I heard was what a great players' coach he was.

I agree, I am glad we have him. He doesn't need to be saying this stuff about Coughlin though at least not to the NY media. We were 7 1/2 minutes away from playing GB in the NFC Championship game Sunday. Things could be worse.

diva receivers and diva safeties. Damn Eddie Cochem had to go invent the forward pass. angry.gif

Maybe we can pry Wade Phillips away from the Texans. All the Cowboys loved him and all I heard was what a great players' coach he was.

Maybe we can pry Johnson, Gruden or Cowher away from the TV booth............we blew it with Fox again.

I've been a Giants fan for life but Coughlin is the face of the franchise and who can sit here and say thats the way you want your team portrayed to the world. Screaming old nut, throwing his clipboard.....wonder how many clip boards he goes through in one game??

Rolle is trying to tell you guys the mood of the team, and none of you want to admit the "King has no clothes" :rolleyes:

I am officially declaring myself a Jets fan for the rest of this season.....Its really really really hard to watch the despora the Giants have become......its a nightmare on Elm St. :freaked:

Who was the clown who suggested Wade Phillips??..........I loved Wade..........as the HC of the Cowboys.........guaranteed the only guy Coughlin could outcoach

So I should take Rolle's opinion on Coughlin over Michael Strahan's?

:jerkoff:

Rolle, for a 1 year Giant, has managed to analyze the coach, the locker room leadership, and the entire fanbase. This kid is amazing. He's like the Dr. Phil of the NFL.

Rolle > Belicheck.

Seriously we should make Rolle the HC of the team, he is obviously more in touch with the Giants then any other coach in this history of the NFL.

Why doesnt anyone else see this?

Because were not Canadian.........it would take a Canuck to see the irony in all of this

LOL

Rolle is right on the money......we probably have the worst HC in the NFL.......he has worn out his welcome

they all do eventually............the smart ones get out before they are bounced out

In Coughy's case he knows no one else would hire him as waterboy...........another pariah like Fassell

Rolle > Belicheck.

Seriously we should make Rolle the HC of the team, he is obviously more in touch with the Giants then any other coach in this history of the NFL.

Why doesnt anyone else see this?

Why stop there?.....Commissioner Rolle!!!

tell what Coughlins strengths are

-player teaching and development

-game day starters and substitutions

-special teams

- player relations

- game day decisions

-motivation of team

-game planning

-calm under presssure

-hands team when necessary

-open door policy

-press relations

-halftime adjustments

-innovative trick plays

where do you see Coughlin in the above catagories???

let me help you

he sucks at all of them :05-mafia:

Maybe we can pry Johnson, Gruden or Cowher away from the TV booth............we blew it with Fox again.

I've been a Giants fan for life but Coughlin is the face of the franchise and who can sit here and say thats the way you want your team portrayed to the world. Screaming old nut, throwing his clipboard.....wonder how many clip boards he goes through in one game??

Rolle is trying to tell you guys the mood of the team, and none of you want to admit the "King has no clothes" :rolleyes:

I am officially declaring myself a Jets fan for the rest of this season.....Its really really really hard to watch the despora the Giants have become......its a nightmare on Elm St. :freaked:

Who was the clown who suggested Wade Phillips??..........I loved Wade..........as the HC of the Cowboys.........guaranteed the only guy Coughlin could outcoach

Wow, Jack, you know I a weird way I have some appreciation for you on this board, but if you couldn't tell that my tongue was firmly planted in cheek with that comment then I don't know how we are going to continue to banter.

Wow, Jack, you know I a weird way I have some appreciation for you on this board, but if you couldn't tell that my tongue was firmly planted in cheek with that comment then I don't know how we are going to continue to banter.

Jack strikes again :LMAO:

good then leave and take Rolle with you and go suck on Ryan's toes

why would I do that?

Rolle is a pro bowl type saftey, love him, love his ideas, Ryan can do anything he wants with his own wife

I will do this (Gladly).........Pay Rocky Bernards and Tom Coughlins bus tickets to Anchorage, Alaska (One Way)..... and the the not so Special Teams guy (sorry cannot even call him a coach), he must be unconscious during games......so the long bus ride should not bother him.

Where would you say Coughlins strengths are in this list

tell what Coughlins strengths are?

-player teaching and development

-game day starters and substitutions

-special teams

- player relations

- game day decisions

-motivation of team

-game planning

-calm under pressure

-hands team when necessary

-open door policy

-press relations

-halftime adjustments

-innovative trick plays

-ball protection/possession skills

-QB mentoring (throwing the ball away, keeping over middle throws mid chest and lower)

where does Tom really stand out in this list?? I'd really like to know where you think he stands out

How about this list-

- Grumpiness

- in game temper tantrums

- stupid hallway and dress rules

- clip board throwing

- taking the blame for things sarcastically

- hands team preparation and execution

- Kiss Ass invitations on camera

- leaving fumblers on the field

Tom get excellent grades for one of these lists.......which one? :freaked: