SportsWrath

Ramses Barden

BleedinBlue

I love this guy, but I haven't seen him get much of a chance to play. Does anyone think he'll be getting more playing time this year so we can see what he can really do? I'm hoping.

We've got 3 solid WR's in Nicks, Smith, Manningham, and a solid TE in Boss. Hagan and Moss are not game changers and I don't think Moss should even be on the team. I think Barden should be the 4th WR and should get in more games with more chances to see what he can do. Manningham sat on the pines for most of his rookie year and showed he had some good stuff (especially in the open field) after getting some quality time in his second year. Does anyone think Barden will now get some opportunities in his second year?

I don't see how the Giants can NOT be using him seeing that he makes over a million dollars a year. If you pay a guy that kind of money, it would seem it would be in the best interest of the team to develop that talent.

Here's the salaries of our WR's:

Nicks.....................$3,205,000

Smith.....................$466,110 (a travesty that must be corrected soon)

Manningham........$391,110

Barden...................$1,041,156

Moss......................$541,110 (another travesty....talk about pissing your money away!)

Hagan....................$775,000

He'll have a year of experience under his belt and the coaches will see where he is in his development, it's not training camp players hes going up against out there so his physical attributes dont amount to anything if he doesnt know how to play WR. I think we will see alot of him in the pre-season, Coughlin is a WRs guy and he will likely put pressure on Barden to see how he responds in a pre-season game. Barden came from a small school where his height basically gave him an edge over any CB in his division, now that he's in the NFL he's playing against guys who know how to play across from a tall WR. I personally think Barden will take acouple years to mature and get used to playing in the NFL, it's not uncommon for a WR to take acouple of years before things start to click for them. As you said I think he will be the #4 WR this year and come in on four wide passing situations any experience he can get should help him, lets just hope he has the desire to become a solid WR.

Pay level is the worst possible reason to play a guy. I like Ramses and hope he develops too, but I'm guessing he was slow learning the play book.

Also, I'm not sure you can directly compare salaries of players without taking all the other money (signing bonuses etc) into account.

Pay level is the worst possible reason to play a guy. I like Ramses and hope he develops too, but I'm guessing he was slow learning the play book.

Also, I'm not sure you can directly compare salaries of players without taking all the other money (signing bonuses etc) into account.

I totally agree that you don't play a player simply because he's paid a lot. Hell, Rocky Bernard takes 7 million a year out of the Giants' pockets and I wouldn't put him in the line ahead of Cofield. Canty takes 12 1/4 mil a year and needs to step up and prove he's worth that kind of coin. And Jacobs makes 11 1/2 mil a year as opposed to Bradshaw's paltry 466K, and I think Bradshaw is as valuable as Jacobs to the team.

I'm just saying that it would behoove the Giants to really develop Barden into something special and players don't develop into something special on the bench all the time....especially when Moss is getting dozens and dozens of opportunities to drop a pass or miss a route.

I love this guy, but I haven't seen him get much of a chance to play. Does anyone think he'll be getting more playing time this year so we can see what he can really do? I'm hoping.

We've got 3 solid WR's in Nicks, Smith, Manningham, and a solid TE in Boss. Hagan and Moss are not game changers and I don't think Moss should even be on the team. I think Barden should be the 4th WR and should get in more games with more chances to see what he can do. Manningham sat on the pines for most of his rookie year and showed he had some good stuff (especially in the open field) after getting some quality time in his second year. Does anyone think Barden will now get some opportunities in his second year?

I don't see how the Giants can NOT be using him seeing that he makes over a million dollars a year. If you pay a guy that kind of money, it would seem it would be in the best interest of the team to develop that talent.

Here's the salaries of our WR's:

Nicks.....................$3,205,000

Smith.....................$466,110 (a travesty that must be corrected soon)

Manningham........$391,110

Barden...................$1,041,156

Moss......................$541,110 (another travesty....talk about pissing your money away!)

Hagan....................$775,000

I'm in total agreement with you, Bleedin. I don't think the Giants should wait till Smith's contract is over.. they just rip the current one now and give him a new one... I can't believe Hagan makes more money... Moss should pay back some money. As far as Barden, we just happened to 3 better than solid starting WRs. Do I think he'll see more time this year.. yes I do. I think he was under-utilized last year especially in red zone situations.

Smith will get his payday. No need to do it early.

Yeah, hopefully with the Giants. I read today about the reason Cofield was on the trading block. The reason being, he wants such a large contract that the Giants aren't willing to dole out. On top of that, the trade was actually made with New Orleans for a second round pick, but the Saints dropped out after trying to sign Cofield and they said they were "miles apart". I'm sure that Cofield (who makes 1.1 mil) looks at Canty's 12.25 million a year contract and says to himself, "no way is Canty 12 times better than me". Ditto with the problems Osi is having. It all started when Tuck was signed to a long term contract at 6.15 mil a year, (more than double Osi's payout) and 9.5 mil a year to Boley (3X Osi's contract).

I know that the salaries do not take into consideration signing bonuses and backloaded contracts (in which most teams have no plan on paying out), but these guys have egos and when they are good, their salary is like a mental scorecard. The thing to do with Smith, is lock him in NOW with a long term contract rather than waiting until he's in the last year of his contract and starts noticing the gigantic contracts being given to similar players.

When I look at the salaries, it makes me wonder why on earth Chad Jones would choose football over baseball. After all, he is a left handed pitcher that throws over 90mph and a centerfielder who batted .340+. A baseball career is twice as long as a football career (usually), and the minimum wage is over 400K a year for minor league players who come up to the bigs and ride the pine. The average baseball player salary is around 4 million a year and that's for very, very average players. Pitchers with ERA's in the 6's and 7's and more losses than wins average about 7-9 million a year. A slightly above average outfielder will average 6 - 7 mil a year. If he's a left handed starting pitcher with an ERA under 4.0, he'd make a minimum of 12 mil a year right out of the gate and could milk it for nearly 20 years. Anyway...it doesn't make financial sense (IMO) to choose football over baseball considering the length of career and the types of injuries sustained by footballers. Hopefully, Jones won't read this.

The big point I wanted to make though, is that the Giants need to lockup any of their players that are good - and that means locking up smith before he smells the dollars he can get once he's a free agent.

I wonder if Tim Brown will push Moss or Hagan out of the line up.I read that Coughlin is liking what he sees in Brown

He's got great hands. But the thing that makes me scratch my head is that he's 5'7". The Giants site calls him 5'8", but it's a stretch to call him that. Sorta a "better" version of Moss and a little smaller to boot.

bleedin i read about the trade but didnt read anything about him wanting money that the giants arent willing to dole out.

i read, in the article i posted in the cofield thread that it was the saints who approached with the trade, and it was them not willing to dole out the money cofield wanted. and that the giants had no intentions of trading him but a 2nd round pick for him was too good to pass on.

If I remember correctly, Barden didnt get a chance last year cause he was having trouble with special teams. We couldnt aford to have a 4th WR on the roster that couldnt play ST's. Reese this off season said they were looking forward to using him this year. I know Im looking forward to it to. The kid is a monster.

If I remember correctly, Barden didnt get a chance last year cause he was having trouble with special teams. We couldnt aford to have a 4th WR on the roster that couldnt play ST's. Reese this off season said they were looking forward to using him this year. I know Im looking forward to it to. The kid is a monster.

Yeah, I read the same thing somewhere, that if a WR is going to get a chance to play, he has to be good on special teams play. But c'mon....Barden is 6'6", and great special teams players tend to be small and quick - like Ricochet Rabbit.

I don't remember 6'6" Plaxico gunning on ST or even in the mix.

Regardless, I hope this is Barden's breakout year. Once Eli starts gaining confidence in him through above average completions, it is going to be one crazy ass weapon to use on our foes.

i think the most we can hope for- if he makes the team- is some cameo goal line appearances.

I agree. Unfortunately with Nicks, Smith and Manningham above him his opportunities will be limited unless one of them goes down.

He's getting paid 395,000 K.

Derek Hagan is getting paid 1.176 million this year.

Steve Smith is also making 550K

I totally agree that you don't play a player simply because he's paid a lot. Hell, Rocky Bernard takes 7 million a year out of the Giants' pockets and I wouldn't put him in the line ahead of Cofield. Canty takes 12 1/4 mil a year and needs to step up and prove he's worth that kind of coin. And Jacobs makes 11 1/2 mil a year as opposed to Bradshaw's paltry 466K, and I think Bradshaw is as valuable as Jacobs to the team.

I'm just saying that it would behoove the Giants to really develop Barden into something special and players don't develop into something special on the bench all the time....especially when Moss is getting dozens and dozens of opportunities to drop a pass or miss a route.

Your numbers are not even close to being correct.

Rocky Bernard is getting paid 2.45 million dollars this year.

Chris Canty is getting paid 4.5 mil.

Jacobs makes 3.650 mil.

Bradshaw is making 1.001 million bucks this year.

Hakeem Nicks is making 400K too....