SportsWrath

Ramses Barden

BleedinBlue

Your numbers are not even close to being correct.

Rocky Bernard is getting paid 2.45 million dollars this year.

Chris Canty is getting paid 4.5 mil.

Jacobs makes 3.650 mil.

Bradshaw is making 1.001 million bucks this year.

Hakeem Nicks is making 400K too....

Or is he :confused:

Your numbers are not even close to being correct.

Rocky Bernard is getting paid 2.45 million dollars this year.

Chris Canty is getting paid 4.5 mil.

Jacobs makes 3.650 mil.

Bradshaw is making 1.001 million bucks this year.

Hakeem Nicks is making 400K too....

Here's a link to the salaries: link

Also, according to this link (link), Hixon is getting 1.684mil, Moss and Hagan are getting 1.176 mil.

Hicks was a first round draft pick and there is no way he signed for 400k. Pretty much all salaries are negotiated by a standard of where the person was drafted. Getting drafted in the first round guarantees big bucks - usually more than an experienced veteran who had the misfortune of being a 6th round draft pick or worse, a UDFA.

If the numbers I posted are wrong, maybe you could set the sites straight.

Yeah, I read the same thing somewhere, that if a WR is going to get a chance to play, he has to be good on special teams play. But c'mon....Barden is 6'6", and great special teams players tend to be small and quick - like Ricochet Rabbit.

I don't remember 6'6" Plaxico gunning on ST or even in the mix.

Regardless, I hope this is Barden's breakout year. Once Eli starts gaining confidence in him through above average completions, it is going to be one crazy ass weapon to use on our foes.

#1 WR's dont play ST's, thats why the 4/3 guy has to.

Yea I hope so to. I think he could see alot of action. As the 4th guy, out there he could be open alot. This is going to be a great year for Eli and our WR's.

Here's a link to the salaries: link

Also, according to this link (link), Hixon is getting 1.684mil, Moss and Hagan are getting 1.176 mil.

Hicks was a first round draft pick and there is no way he signed for 400k. Pretty much all salaries are negotiated by a standard of where the person was drafted. Getting drafted in the first round guarantees big bucks - usually more than an experienced veteran who had the misfortune of being a 6th round draft pick or worse, a UDFA.

If the numbers I posted are wrong, maybe you could set the sites straight.

[/quote

It's Nicks 2nd year and he was the 29th overall pick..not exactly the 6th overall pick. I went to BBI and they have updated salaries..try it sometime.

He'll definitely see some looks in the red zone. He's the closest thing the Giants have to a Plaxico-like receiver to catch those corner fades.

has Kevin Gilbride goes whats the red zone and do you really throw the ball there? I would just run a HB Draw three straight times if you ask me

• 2 weeks later...

Young receivers seek Giant leap

By PAUL SCHWARTZ NYPOST.COM

Last Updated: 4:59 AM, May 24, 2010

The red-shirt year is over for Ramses Barden and Travis Beckum, two physically imposing athletes who after a season of development must show why the Giants used 2009 third-round draft picks to bring them aboard.

After yet another offseason filled with revamping of their defense, the Giants stood pat on offense. They are hoping a return to health of their running backs and linemen, plus the anticipated NFL-readiness of youngsters such as Barden and Beckum, will inject added life into an attack that generated 402 points, an average of 25 per game.

"We need some of these young guys to step up and play well," said Eli Manning when asked about Barden and Beckum. "They need to get in there, they're going to make mistakes still, but we need them to really have a big influence on this year."

The duo endured the typical growing pains in their first taste of the big league. Beckum, a swift 6-foot-3, 239-pound tight end, caught eight passes for 55 yards. Barden, a towering 6-6, 227-pound wide receiver, rarely was in uniform on Sundays and had just one reception for 16 yards.

If the two can get in gear and make any sort of impact in a passing game that already features Steve Smith, Mario Manningham and Hakeem Nicks it will be a plethora of options for Manning.

During a practice session last week, Barden showed he had a feel for route running, slipping behind cornerback Aaron Ross to haul in Manning's pass on a perfectly executed fade pattern. Beckum -- essentially an H-back -- more than once got downfield for catches.

If these two targets can make the strides the Giants expect, the red-zone problems of the past should be gone.

"I don't want to say it's night and day, but it's definitely different," Barden said of the difference from last year. "There's an understanding for the offense, for the scheme, for the concepts, with the plays and the teammates there's a lot more comfort. I'm able to focus more on the details as opposed to the basics and a little bit more let football become natural again.

"Instead of worrying about what I got on each play I can say 'What is this guy's tendencies? How can I beat him? What can I do to set him up?' It becomes more of a game," he said. "It's more fun when you don't have to worry about the basic concepts. It gives me an opportunity to show my ability outside of what people have seen thus far."

Barden is making this transition from the modest football level at Cal Poly. Beckum played at Wisconsin, but clearly was not ready in his first season to handle the intricacies of a pro-style offense.

"Last year, everything I learned was new and fresh to me and this year it's much easier to understand just because I've done it before," Beckum said. "It's just easier to go out and play when you know what you're doing. The only reason you don't play full speed is your lack of knowing what to do.

"It was my rookie year and you never know what to expect," he said. "You never know what coaches have in store for you. Of course I would have liked to play more but I'm not going to look back on it and dread on it. It was my rookie year."

Manning sees Beckum as "having speed and a shifty guy, be able to stretch the field and do some things after the catch." As for Barden, Manning said he is "just that big receiver, whether you put him in the slot or outside, having a physical guy to catch the ball over the middle."

link

has Kevin Gilbride goes whats the red zone and do you really throw the ball there? I would just run a HB Draw three straight times if you ask me

I say three straight triple-reverses. A little razzle-dazzle! That'll show 'em!

Barden Finally Showing Plaxico Potential

After struggling with consistency and approach, second-year WR is catching on

nfl_g_barden12_300.jpg

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Ramses Barden extended his long arm, snagged the ball with one hand and made a scintillating catch on the left sideline.

He got his feet inbounds as well.

"Of course I got my feet in ... I got three feet in!" Barden said with a smile after the New York Giants' workout on Thursday.

This is exactly what the Giants envisioned when they drafted Barden in the third-round of the 2009 draft out of Cal Poly. They also need the 6-foot-6, 227-pound wide receiver to make spectacular receptions when the season begins.

Barden has shown flashes in practice thus far but proof of progress will come in training camp when the massive target must show he can perform when it counts.

Barden says he is prepared to fight for a spot on the field this year. He says he is better-equipped after spending a year learning the offense, opposing defenses and how to play at the pro level. Barden understands what to do on every route and all the responsibilities that come with each play.

"For me to understand my position, I have to understand the entire offense, and what the defense is doing to make sure I am doing that one thing right," Barden said. "There is more to it than just, 'Hey Ramses, go line up and run a fade, go run a curl.' There are so many things going on at one time on the fly that you have to be able to pick these things up and adjust and still play fast, still play comfortable, still play with speed, still dissect while you are running routes and making blocks. There are so many things that factor into it than from the place I was coming from."

Barden didn't exactly come from a football factory at Cal Poly. Adjusting to the pro game and a myriad of concepts was a challenge. Because of his size, the Giants envisioned Barden as a natural replacement for Plaxico Burress -- a playmaking receiver who could make sensational catches with his height and length. Instead of becoming Eli Manning's towering target in the end zone, Barden was buried on the bench while first-round pick Hakeem Nicks showed glimpses of being a game-breaker. While Nicks emerged, Barden played in just three games and had only one reception.

Barden understands he needs to show more consistency and approach every play with "that same effort and intensity and play-making ability." That includes when he performs on special teams as well.

Giants quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan was the receivers coach last year and he acknowledged there are times when receivers find it hard and uninspiring to play on special teams or on the scout team. Rookie receivers can sometimes lack the enthusiasm and stamina necessary for being on the scout team and Sullivan was very encouraged to hear that Barden says he needs to display more consistency, effort and intensity.

"It is good to hear that he may have recognized that," Sullivan said, "which leads you to believe that he has got his head on straight and he is ready to do what we are all hoping he can do, which is be that big playmaker."

Sullivan mentioned Mario Manningham as an example of how receivers typically make a major leap in their second season. Manningham went from a total of four receptions for 26 yards in his rookie season to finishing with 57 receptions for 822 yards and five touchdowns last season. Receivers coach Sean Ryan expects a similar growth curve for Barden.

"The old adage of your biggest improvement should come between year one and year two is absolutely essential for this guy to understand and he does," Ryan said of Barden. "To me he is more comfortable. In the second year, now you got a little more comfortable feeling with the offense and now you are like what are the details? What are the nuances? Now it is not just about assignments. It is about details and nuances and the things that will put you in even better position to perform."

Barden agreed, and said he is ready to show what he's capable of doing with experience.

"As a competitive person you want to be able to contribute and be able to play," Barden said of his rookie season. "You want to be able to compete and do all these things but you realize to a certain extent all these things are out of your hands. You can only control what you can control and what I can control is what I put on that practice field. If that wasn't enough last year to earn me time on the field then I have to give it more this upcoming year and right now I have to prove to the people evaluating me that we can't keep this guy off the field."

Barden said he will do whatever it takes to play, including special teams.

"Shoot, if they need me to hold on the field goals, I will be more than happy to," Barden said. "I want to help this team in any way possible."

The Giants happen to be looking for a new holder. But the 6-6 receiver just needs to keep using his big hands to snatch balls out of the air like the one he did on Thursday, and continue to prove he is ready for action.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5227539