SportsWrath

You're Jerry Reese, and you know

Allstarjim

So who do you see us taking?

I keep going back and forth on Weatherspoon and Odrick assuming McClain is off the board or we don't trade up, both fit the scheme and both should be there at 15, Odrick is comparable to Canty so that might not be the direction we go. I would say also maybe a DE, Derrick Morgan or Jason Pierre Paul, there both unpolished and we probably lose Kiwi at the end of the year maybe Osi too if he kepts up the whining.

I keep going back and forth on Weatherspoon and Odrick assuming McClain is off the board or we don't trade up, both fit the scheme and both should be there at 15, Odrick is comparable to Canty so that might not be the direction we go. I would say also maybe a DE, Derrick Morgan or Jason Pierre Paul, there both unpolished and we probably lose Kiwi at the end of the year maybe Osi too if he kepts up the whining.

Whoa there fella. Odrick is the 5th rated DT in this draft... there is next to zero chance we draft him at 15, if he's even a first round pick, which he may not be. Dan Williams or Brian Price maybe... but not Odrick! I actually like Spoon as a prospect, but I think his bust potential is a bit too high to take at 15, and I think he won't be selected until around pick 20 or later. Derrick Morgan is a solid choice at 15, but the Giants will go with the best player that offers the best combination of value and need at 15. Right there that tells you that Spoon and Odrick are out, because they don't have real value at 15 (although Spoon is closer), whereas a guy like Spiller has big value.

Back to McClain, you mentioned several teams that are rumored to be interested in him. And as I said, I do believe there's a better than even chance that he will be gone before we pick. But if he is there, I think that Reese will waste zero time in taking him. Let me address the other teams' you mentioned. First of all, you mentioned Buffalo. And I do believe you actually said we could probably get Posluszny for a 5th rounder, which almost made me spew coffee all over my computer. Posluszny is a third year MLB at Buffalo that has back to back 110 + tackle seasons, last year recording 111 in only 12 games played. He is not a tradeable player for the Bills. We would need to give up a 2nd AND another pick, probably a 3rd, which isn't going to happen. You simply just don't trade a pro bowl caliber MLB who is blossoming and is only 25 years old... it makes zero sense for the Bills to do that... and henceforth, it makes zero sense for the Bills to use the 9th overall pick on the same position Pozluzny plays.

You also mentioned Cleveland as being interested in McClain. Cleveland has the 7th overall pick. I think Holmgren wants to draft a franchise QB, and I think he's going to use that pick on Jimmy Clausen, if Clausen is not taken by the Seahawks one spot ahead, which I think he WON'T be. I do acknowledge that it is a distinct possibility, however. If Seattle takes Clausen at 6 (even though Carroll has already traded for Charlie Whitehurst), I do think that Cleveland could go with McClain there. but there are other players at 7 that may be more valuable to Cleveland, for instance, a Derrick Morgan or Sergio Kindle, whose draft stock is rising quickly. To finalize my thoughts on Cleveland, I do think Holmgren will place a high priority in finding a franchise QB in this draft (they go into the season with Delhomme penciled in), and it bears watching on if they will trade up with the Rams to take Bradford, sit pat and maybe grab Clausen, or wait and make a play for Tebow, McCoy, or Tony Pike.

Another McClain suitor you mentioned is Denver at #11, to which I can keep this one short. If they don't draft Dez Bryant (who I believe will be available at that spot), it will be a major upset. The Broncos can simply not afford to go into the season with Gaffney, Royal, and Stokley as their wide receivers. That is a no brainer pick for Denver there, IMO.

Lastly, you mentioned Oakland. A real wild card. Picking at #8, you never really now what Al Davis is going to do, hence the crazy Heyward-Bey pick last year. I think of all the potential landing spots (other than NY) for McClain, this is the most realistic. They have not wanted to commit to Kirk Morrison, and McClain is a logical replacement. We simply just don't know what kind of crazy stuff is on Al Davis' draft board, so I think that this pick will be key in determining whether or not McClain falls to us at 15.

You did not mention Miami, who also has been linked to McClain, but they signed Dansby and I believe they are going to take a hard look at Jason Pierre-Paul.

No mention either of Seattle, who has 2 picks ahead of us, but a team who I think has too many needs other than at MLB to use either of their 1st rounders on McClain. Seattle is a likely landing spot for Eric Berry and maybe a player like Bryan Bulaga.

In summary, the only two legitimate threats to take McClain (that I see) before us is Oakland and maybe Cleveland.

You mentioned that there are other linebackers out there after the first round that could be options. Certainly, a guy like Donald Butler could be a possibility later. But I see a huge drop off in talent after McClain and 'Spoon at MLB, and I would think it would be a good bet that any of those later round 'backers will not beat Goff this year. But if they don't land McClain or 'Spoon, they will certianly draft a MLB later. In fact, I would just take a chance on Spikes in the 2nd if he's sitting there, with no McClain or Spoon available, because Spikes has bigger boom potential.

One last thing about the 3-4 vs 4-3 talk... guys like McClain or Weatherspoon you don't worry about them fitting the system. You just put them on the field and let them play, they will make EITHER system look good. Players that are less versatile, sure, you take system more into account. Particularly outside linebackers, where in a 3-4 you might want an excellent pass rusher, but in a 4-3 you may want a good combination of pass coverage and run-stopping skills. You don't have that worry with McClain or Weatherspoon, though, IMO. They both would play inside, and both would be good in either system.

Believe me Bigblue, I am not knocking your pick of Weatherspoon. I think he's a phenomenal prospect who could be a great Giant linebacker. I just think at 15 there are players with more value at that draft position.... but the Giants may take need more into account than I am guessing. It is certainly a distinct possibility that the Giants take Weatherspoon at 15 if they are convinced he will be an immediate impact player at the mike for us. I highly doubt they would take him over McClain if given the option though.

Whoa there fella. Odrick is the 5th rated DT in this draft... there is next to zero chance we draft him at 15, if he's even a first round pick, which he may not be. Dan Williams or Brian Price maybe... but not Odrick! I actually like Spoon as a prospect, but I think his bust potential is a bit too high to take at 15, and I think he won't be selected until around pick 20 or later. Derrick Morgan is a solid choice at 15, but the Giants will go with the best player that offers the best combination of value and need at 15. Right there that tells you that Spoon and Odrick are out, because they don't have real value at 15 (although Spoon is closer), whereas a guy like Spiller has big value.

Back to McClain, you mentioned several teams that are rumored to be interested in him. And as I said, I do believe there's a better than even chance that he will be gone before we pick. But if he is there, I think that Reese will waste zero time in taking him. Let me address the other teams' you mentioned. First of all, you mentioned Buffalo. And I do believe you actually said we could probably get Posluszny for a 5th rounder, which almost made me spew coffee all over my computer. Posluszny is a third year MLB at Buffalo that has back to back 110 + tackle seasons, last year recording 111 in only 12 games played. He is not a tradeable player for the Bills. We would need to give up a 2nd AND another pick, probably a 3rd, which isn't going to happen. You simply just don't trade a pro bowl caliber MLB who is blossoming and is only 25 years old... it makes zero sense for the Bills to do that... and henceforth, it makes zero sense for the Bills to use the 9th overall pick on the same position Pozluzny plays.

You also mentioned Cleveland as being interested in McClain. Cleveland has the 7th overall pick. I think Holmgren wants to draft a franchise QB, and I think he's going to use that pick on Jimmy Clausen, if Clausen is not taken by the Seahawks one spot ahead, which I think he WON'T be. I do acknowledge that it is a distinct possibility, however. If Seattle takes Clausen at 6 (even though Carroll has already traded for Charlie Whitehurst), I do think that Cleveland could go with McClain there. but there are other players at 7 that may be more valuable to Cleveland, for instance, a Derrick Morgan or Sergio Kindle, whose draft stock is rising quickly. To finalize my thoughts on Cleveland, I do think Holmgren will place a high priority in finding a franchise QB in this draft (they go into the season with Delhomme penciled in), and it bears watching on if they will trade up with the Rams to take Bradford, sit pat and maybe grab Clausen, or wait and make a play for Tebow, McCoy, or Tony Pike.

Another McClain suitor you mentioned is Denver at #11, to which I can keep this one short. If they don't draft Dez Bryant (who I believe will be available at that spot), it will be a major upset. The Broncos can simply not afford to go into the season with Gaffney, Royal, and Stokley as their wide receivers. That is a no brainer pick for Denver there, IMO.

Lastly, you mentioned Oakland. A real wild card. Picking at #8, you never really now what Al Davis is going to do, hence the crazy Heyward-Bey pick last year. I think of all the potential landing spots (other than NY) for McClain, this is the most realistic. They have not wanted to commit to Kirk Morrison, and McClain is a logical replacement. We simply just don't know what kind of crazy stuff is on Al Davis' draft board, so I think that this pick will be key in determining whether or not McClain falls to us at 15.

You did not mention Miami, who also has been linked to McClain, but they signed Dansby and I believe they are going to take a hard look at Jason Pierre-Paul.

No mention either of Seattle, who has 2 picks ahead of us, but a team who I think has too many needs other than at MLB to use either of their 1st rounders on McClain. Seattle is a likely landing spot for Eric Berry and maybe a player like Bryan Bulaga.

In summary, the only two legitimate threats to take McClain (that I see) before us is Oakland and maybe Cleveland.

You mentioned that there are other linebackers out there after the first round that could be options. Certainly, a guy like Donald Butler could be a possibility later. But I see a huge drop off in talent after McClain and 'Spoon at MLB, and I would think it would be a good bet that any of those later round 'backers will not beat Goff this year. But if they don't land McClain or 'Spoon, they will certianly draft a MLB later. In fact, I would just take a chance on Spikes in the 2nd if he's sitting there, with no McClain or Spoon available, because Spikes has bigger boom potential.

I am hearing Odrick is flying up draft boards, Cleveland at 7 has even been interested. Spikes is too slow to play in our scheme and I agree about Spoon and McClain playing in any scheme but has far has Spikes no thank you, I would rather have Sean Lee in round 2 or Butler in round 3. Spoon at 15 is not much of a reach, but if not McClain I do think your right we don't go MLB in round one unless its McClain. Reese likes to find equal value between need and value,

I am hearing Odrick is flying up draft boards, Cleveland at 7 has even been interested. Spikes is too slow to play in our scheme and I agree about Spoon and McClain playing in any scheme but has far has Spikes no thank you, I would rather have Sean Lee in round 2 or Butler in round 3. Spoon at 15 is not much of a reach, but if not McClain I do think your right we don't go MLB in round one unless its McClain. Reese likes to find equal value between need and value, after thinking and thinking I see us taking Ryan Matthews RB out of Fresno State, he is a every down back unlike Spiller(who I think is gone) and he is legit, we could also bring him along slowly keep his legs fresh

good call, i like odrick too. guy empties his tank every game.

good call, i like odrick too. guy empties his tank every game.

I like Odrick but he is like Canty maybe more a 3-4 end, Brian Price would be a great fit for the Giants, there are some things about Price though, he falls on the ground alot with empty arms meaning he misses the tackle, alot of it though is UCLA had nothing around Price and was pretty much a one man show and teams schemed to stop him and he still got into the backfield, he could be great on our D-line with Coefield,Tuck,Osi

I don't see how we keep Osi and Kiwi both happy. But hey, if we can get some picks or one good pick out of trading one, then why not. Four days to go...

I am hearing Odrick is flying up draft boards, Cleveland at 7 has even been interested. Spikes is too slow to play in our scheme and I agree about Spoon and McClain playing in any scheme but has far has Spikes no thank you, I would rather have Sean Lee in round 2 or Butler in round 3. Spoon at 15 is not much of a reach, but if not McClain I do think your right we don't go MLB in round one unless its McClain. Reese likes to find equal value between need and value,

I have not heard the same about Odrick.... you may be correct, though, because I am over here in Kuwait and have limited time to really tap into all the pre-draft talk. I like Brian Price. I am not enamored with Spikes either. Sean Lee is intriguing in 2.

Is it me or Jim came out swinging? lol.

Nah, this is just football talk. I'm excited about the draft and this is all fun to talk and guess about what might happen... we are all in great anticipation. I really hope they draft a kicker this year. Bigblue is contributing, and I really like that, otherwise it would be just me talking here, and it would be no fun.

Nah, this is just football talk. I'm excited about the draft and this is all fun to talk and guess about what might happen... we are all in great anticipation. I really hope they draft a kicker this year. Bigblue is contributing, and I really like that, otherwise it would be just me talking here, and it would be no fun.

Oh I agree. And I enjoy the contribution both of you make on this board. I don't know how you guys keep track of college players... and I have the utmost respect for it.

I'll feel fine with whoever the Giants end up picking, like every year I wait to see who we draft then do as much reading as I can about them. Rarely do I do enough reading before the draft to make me want someone the last time was Steve Smith, I couldnt believe he fell to us in the second round. Anyways only a few more days away now and I cant wait to see what happens.

im hoping for one of: mcclain, spiller, iupati, weatherspoon. there are several other choices that i wouldnt be mad at but im hoping for one of those.

All those players I would be happy to see in a Giants uniform. Dan Williams, DT from Tennessee, has not been talked about much but also may be there when we pick and would be a solid selection. He is great against the run, too. If the Giants are worried about Alford coming back the same player, with Robbins now gone the Giants probably need to do something here. I like Canty but bottom line he could not stay healthy last year. So I would throw Williams and Brian Price into your list of guys I wouldn't mind us taking.

All those players I would be happy to see in a Giants uniform. Dan Williams, DT from Tennessee, has not been talked about much but also may be there when we pick and would be a solid selection. He is great against the run, too. If the Giants are worried about Alford coming back the same player, with Robbins now gone the Giants probably need to do something here. I like Canty but bottom line he could not stay healthy last year. So I would throw Williams and Brian Price into your list of guys I wouldn't mind us taking.

What's the chance we get Hayensworth out of DC? If we do, our main focus will be MLB.

What's the chance we get Hayensworth out of DC? If we do, our main focus will be MLB.

I think there is zero chance. The Redskins gave him an enormous contract and he didn't perform up to it last year. I don't think he's a guy that comes to NY.

I think there is zero chance. The Redskins gave him an enormous contract and he didn't perform up to it last year. I don't think he's a guy that comes to NY.

Would you want him on the Giants for Canty and a 5th rounder?

Pat Kirwan from NFL.com agrees

15. New York Giants

Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

The Giants claim they like their young linebackers, and maybe they do, but if McClain is still on the board, they will take him. Otherwise, a solid defensive tackle candidate such as Williams is a solid fit. Williams can play in any scheme and be productive. He is more than a two-down player and gets some push in his pass rush.

He has the Broncos taking McClain at 11, the Saints taking Weatherspoon at 32, and us taking Sean Lee in the 2nd round.

I d'ont think you can rule out Tebow. He's a very talented guy along the lines of Steve Young.

Anyone who drafts him in the 1st or 2nd round is taking a big gamble, but if he pays off it will be big.

Comparing say Tim Tebow to Dave Brown, its no comparison. Tebow was a huge winner for a big time school....Dave Brown ........I still can't figure out what George young was thinking......Was George a family friend or something?

Joe Montana was a mobile QB from a big school drafted in the late rounds......it was said his arm was weak, and he was too short.......Ahem!!

Tebow is a bit of a mystery, with a huge upside......very few draftees, even #1s are a lock though.

I would almost bet money that this is more than likely what will happen. I have read reports that the Giants aren't big on the LB choices. LB has been a need for a while but the Giants just are not drafting LBs in the first round. Maybe this year is different because Pierce was cut but I have my doubts. The DLine was a major problem last year and I think Reese is an EA man and will want to fix the line first.