SportsWrath

Thursdays NY Post Coughlin called out by Osi

JackStroud

I don't doubt Osi needed to sit....he was not playing well but the way Coughlin handled it leads me to believe he ordered Sheridan to do it, and did not have the courage to confront Osi himself

The Puppeteer

Here's a link to the article and what was actually said:

NY Post Sports

Osi says he'll quit before he becomes a backup

Apparently, a little time hasn’t healed any of the deep wounds between Osi Umenyiora and the Giants.

Umenyiora yesterday issued to the team what either was an ultimatum, a threat or just some hot air: Return me to the starting lineup, or else.

“I am not going be a backup player, I’ll promise you that,” Umenyiora told WFAN. “I will stop playing football before I do that.

COWHER COULD COACH AGAIN

GLAZER: GIANTS 'CRAZY' TO TRADE OSI FOR RHODES

“This has been the worst offseason of my entire life. I can’t think of a time when things were this bad during the offseason. I am supposed to be relaxing, but I can’t because all I can think of is all the things that took place last season. For me, it’s not something that I am going to do. And if they ask me to do that, I will just stop playing football.”

Anyone who seriously believes Umenyiora is willing to walk away from a $3.1 million contract hasn’t met him. The disgruntled defensive end, coming off knee surgery that cost him the entire 2008 season, clashed almost immediately with first-year defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan — one time walking out of a team meeting.

Things went from bad to worse following the Thanksgiving night loss in Denver. Umenyiora was yanked from his starting defensive end role and turned into a situational pass-rusher.

“It almost seemed like the writing was on the wall at that particular time,” Umenyiora said. “I felt I had worn out my welcome because for certain people, no matter what happens, they’ll never take them out of the lineup, you understand what I mean?”

Following the season Sheridan was fired, but Umenyiora displayed no outward delight.

“Me and Bill had that one problem, we talked about it, we figured it out,” Umenyiora said. “You can never blame Bill. It was his first year as a defensive coordinator ever, at any level. . . . I don’t think he did that bad of a job. Obviously, he made some bad calls, but if you have the players in place I think you can make up for that.”

And clearly there’s an issue with Tom Coughlin — who Umenyiora said was actually behind his demotion — that has to be resolved. Newly hired defensive coordinator Perry Fewell last week indicated he sees Umenyiora as a starter.

“I have a lot of love for the team,” Umenyiora said. “I’d love to stay there and I am under contract with them through 2012, so I can’t say with any degree of confidence that I am not going to be there next year.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/osi_says_he_will_quit_before_he_iRw7K9AdcsXjzPm8erVF7K#ixzz0eiU4fWZz

I don't doubt Osi needed to sit....he was not playing well but the way Coughlin handled it leads me to believe he ordered Sheridan to do it, and did not have the courage to confront Osi himself

The Puppeteer

That's what head coaches are supposed to deal with issues. read the manual.

The Giants have a guy in the Hall of Fame named Harry Carson that was disgruntled from time to time.

The difference of course, is nobody could run on Harry Carson.

Maybe if Osi started tackling runners behind the line of scrimmage, I'd pay more attention to his feelings.

you morons who suppport Coughlin will watch agonizing loses in the years to come

The guys about 193 yrs old for goodness sake...........any fire he had in his belly 5 yrs ago is GONE

Jack, give me the names of some other guys who have done better (wins, playoff appearances, division titles, Super Bowl victories).

you morons who suppport Coughlin will watch agonizing loses in the years to come

The guys about 193 yrs old for goodness sake...........any fire he had in his belly 5 yrs ago is GONE

Considering he got himself a ring 2 years ago, he might be better off without the fire in his belly...

The Giants have a guy in the Hall of Fame named Harry Carson that was disgruntled from time to time.

The difference of course, is nobody could run on Harry Carson.

Maybe if Osi started tackling runners behind the line of scrimmage, I'd pay more attention to his feelings.

Even on a bad day...when he was talking about parachuting into Tehran to rescue hostages he could still play the run... :laugh:

Considering he got himself a ring 2 years ago, he might be better off without the fire in his belly...

Fish.........Spags got you the ring......he was 99% responsible and with him gone the same group on D sank from one of the best in the league to one of the worst instantly

The old man HAS TO GO..........Osi is telling you what no one else will say :D

Fish.........Spags got you the ring......he was 99% responsible and with him gone the same group on D sank from one of the best in the league to one of the worst instantly

The old man HAS TO GO..........Osi is telling you what no one else will say :D

Jack......Coughlin got you Spags.

Jack......Coughlin got you Spags.

not really.........if you recall the old guy had one foot out the door and was forced to go out and conduct a real league wide search for a real DC......he was told to fix the D or he was going to get canned

now that had has his robe and slippers on last year basking in the glow of the SB victory he conducted a room wide search to find a guy with less personality than even he has :rolleyes:

hahah i love it.

coughlin gets the "blame" for sheridan

but not the "credit" for spags

brilliant logic.

logic probably does not work with you but keep the babe pictures coming please

I said he took his foot off the accelerator when he was not being threatened with firing

when he felt safe to make a lame decision, he hired a dumbaxx with less personality than himself .....which is very very tough to do

Coughlin could not motivate a drowning man to grab a life preserever :laugh:

not really.........if you recall the old guy had one foot out the door and was forced to go out and conduct a real league wide search for a real DC......he was told to fix the D or he was going to get canned

now that had has his robe and slippers on last year basking in the glow of the SB victory he conducted a room wide search to find a guy with less personality than even he has :rolleyes:

Idiot!. You just proved Fish right trying to prove him wrong.

Idiot!. You just proved Fish right trying to prove him wrong.

He did hire Spags..... a broken clock is right twice a day

Look

Like Osi, I think Coughlin is a good man. i called for his hiring and he was perfect for the team that needed discipline....we need spark now......He's not the right guy to lead the Giants anymore. he should have gone out on top and deeded the HC job to Spags after the SB victory to be honest....we need a younger more rah rah type....Rex Ryan type....Gruden and Cowher would do though.

Personally I like Gruden better..........or Bob Stoops

Jack Stroud's MO- I want to win the Super Bowl EVERY damn YEAR

I'm not too concerned about under performers getting their feeling hurt if they read my posts....I want excellence

Let them go elsewhere if they can't play or don't want to, if they are lame and infirm or too old.....its not the place to exhibit those problems

Let them get a job- 9-5

Sorry but life is a jungle

Did you see Avatar??......remember whn the hero had to spend the night alone in the jungle.........that's the NFL