SportsWrath

Source: Perry Fewell Plans To Accept Giants Defensive Coordinator Position

Mr. P

Former Buffalo Bills interim coach Perry Fewell is planning to accept the New York Giants defensive coordinator position on Thursday, according to a league source.

Fewell's agreement would be significant on a number of levels. It would give the Giants the man they had been seeking to succeed former defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan. It would also take Fewell away from the Chicago Bears, who at one point were the clear-cut favorite to land him.

It would also remove another candidate from the Bills, who interviewed Fewell for their vacant coaching position.

The Giants fired Sheridan shortly after the regular season ended with back-to-back blowout losses, in which the defense was torched for 41 points by Carolina and 44 points by Minnesota.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4825410

the likely candidate that i wanted, nice.

Buffalo%20Bills-Interim-Coach-%20Perry%20Fewell-NFL-thumb-400xauto-5042.jpg

whoa, its already got him locked in on Wiki.

So...this guy was off my radar until some of you brought him up. Whats his deal, what does he run?

i know its a 4-3 and i know his defenses did pretty well in buffalo, and the players liked him and i read that alot of players wanted him to remain headcoach after being interim after jauron was fired.

also read that hes motivator and "demands accountability" from every player every play.

just remember nothings official yet.

I know nothing about him excpept he appears to be an anti-coughlin.........which is sorely needed.......Coughiin loves to surround himself with silent clones

has he ever been associated with a top notch NFL Defense????

Spags was good because he was an anti coughlin, motivator who came from an extremely good defensive heritage- Jim Johnson and his blitzing hoard

i know just this year they were 2nd in passing ypg.

in the good way.

Fewell's effort as a Defensive Coordinator should be regarded as successful. In what was statistically their best season under Fewell, the 2008 Bills defense ranked 2nd in the AFC in negative yardage plays, recorded 7 games of holding opposing offenses to less than 100 yards rushing, finished 4th in the NFL in Red-Zone defense (41.8%), and allowed just 14 passing TDs all year

Guest StrahansGap

Not so fast guys:

From rotoworld.com.......

The Chicago Sun-Times disputes an earlier report that Perry Fewell is "planning to accept" the Giants' defensive coordinator position.

Following his report, ESPN's Adam Schefter clarified that Fewell had been planning on accepting the Giants' job "as of [Thursday] morning," but the decision was not final. The Giants had not heard from Fewell as of Thursday morning, and he's believed to be still weighing the two offers -- possibly until the weekend. The Bears remain in the picture for now.

:o

Apparently hes the guy.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/14/ex-bills-interim-coach-fewell-will-coach-giants-d/

Perry Fewell will accept the Giants’ offer to be their defensive coordinator, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Fewell was the Bills’ interim coach after Dick Jauron was fired, leading the team to a 3-4 record.

Fewell was being courted by the Giants and the Bears, who are coached by close friend Lovie Smith. However, after careful review, Fewell has told associates that he will take the New York job.

The decision was difficult, but Fewell’s family recently looked into neighborhoods and school districts in the New Jersey area, and the coach feels good about the opportunity to help revive a once-potent defense on a team that won the Super Bowl just a few years ago.

The Bears still are without an offensive coordinator and a defensive coordinator, and Smith’s uncertain future beyond 2010 could make it difficult to land some candidates.

It's official.

My link

Perry Fewell accepts New York Giants defensive coordinator job

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Originally Published:Thursday, January 14th 2010, 1:43 PM

Updated: Thursday, January 14th 2010, 7:22 PM

After apparently pondering his options for most of the day, the 47-year-old Fewell informed the Giants Thursday evening that he's ready to take on the job that's been vacant for the last 10 days.

"I am ecstatic to come to work for the New York Giants," Fewell said in a statement released by his new team. "It's a good football team with good defensive players, and it is a franchise known for defense."

That's true, but he's not exactly inheriting a defense the Giants are proud of. The were largely responsible for giving up more points than any team in franchise history except for the disastrous 1966 unit, and contributed to a team that surrendered 40 points in a game five times.

Yet Fewell, who was Tom Coughlin's defensive backs coach in Jacksonville from 1998-2002 and most recently was the interim head coach of the Buffalo Bills, chose the Giants over the Chicago Bears, who also offered him their defensive coordinator job.

Fewell was the only man that Coughlin interviewed for the job and even though he also reached out to Romeo Crennel and Jim Haslett it appears that he was Coughlin's top choice all along.

"I expect Perry to bring the same qualities that I expect from myself," Coughlin said in the statement. "I want him to be firm, fair, honest and demanding. My expectation is that he will solidify and unify our defense and be an outstanding teacher. I want energy, enthusiasm, toughness and to make the necessary corrections and game adjustments. Perry is a teacher and a leader and I thought he did an outstanding job of displaying great leadership as the interim head coach of Buffalo this season."

Fewell went 3-4 as the interim coach of the Bills, after replacing Dick Jauron - another Coughlin buddy - in November. Before that, he was the Bills' defensive coordinator under Jauron, who according to one source actually recommended Fewell to Coughlin.

In the last two seasons, Fewell's Bills' defense allowed only 14 touchdown passes - or 17 fewer than the Giants gave up this season alone. In 2009, the Bills were fifth in the league with 33 takeaways, including 28 interceptions (second in the league).

Fewell, who ran the Tampa 2 defense in Buffalo, described his approach as "Disciplined, attacking, aggressive, 11 hats to the football."

"We brought Perry into the league in Jacksonville," Coughlin said. "And I was impressed with his thoroughness, his ability to work with the players and his absolute intent on learning all he could about his profession."

Fewell, for the moment, inherits some coaches from Bill Sheridan's old staff, including cornerbacks coach Pete Giunta, safeties coach Dave Merritt, and linebackers coach Jim Hermann. It's unclear if he plans to retain any of them, but it's certainly more likely he'll bring in a few of his own coaches to fill out his staff.

He had subpar, injured talent, and absolutely no offense to help him out. So, hopefully, if the Giants can stay somewhat healthy, he should improve things....he should improve the secondary and the red zone defense.

from giants.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - Tom Coughlin has reached into his past for a coach to lead his defense into the future.

Perry Fewell, who once spent five seasons as Coughlin's secondary coach in Jacksonville, was today named the Giants' new defensive coordinator. Fewell spent the last four seasons as the Buffalo Bills' defensive coordinator and was the team's interim head coach for the final seven games of the 2009 season. The Bills were 3-4 under his direction. Following the season finale, the Buffalo fired its entire coaching staff.

Fewell was brought to Buffalo by Dick Jauron, who was Coughlin's defensive coordinator in Jacksonville for four seasons. Fewell and Jauron spent the 1998 season together with the Jaguars.

Coughlin is clear in what his expectations are from Fewell.

"I expect Perry to bring the same qualities that I expect from myself," said Coughlin. "I want him to be firm, fair, honest and demanding. My expectation is that he will solidify and unify our defense and be an outstanding teacher. I want energy, enthusiasm, toughness and to make the necessary corrections and game adjustments. Perry is a teacher and a leader and I thought he did an outstanding job of displaying great leadership as the interim head coach of Buffalo this season."

Said Fewell, "I am ecstatic to come to work for the New York Giants. It's a good football team with good defensive players, and it is a franchise known for defense."

Fewell's Bills defense allowed only 14 touchdown passes in each of the last two seasons (the Giants gave up 31 in 2009). This season, Buffalo tied for fifth in the NFL with 33 takeaways. The Bills' 28 interceptions were exceeded only by Green Bay's 30. The Giants had 24 takeaways and 13 interceptions in 2009. Buffalo's turnover differential improved from minus-eight in 2008 to plus-three in 2009. Bills rookie safety Jairus Byrd tied for the NFL lead with nine interceptions in only 14 games. The nine interceptions were five more than any other rookie had. Byrd was placed on injured reserve with a groin injury and missed the final two games but became the first Bills rookie to be selected to the Pro Bowl since Greg Bell in 1984.

In his four years as the coordinator in Buffalo, the Bills' defense ranked 18th, 31st, 14th and 19th in the NFL. In 2009, Buffalo allowed 340.6 yards and 20.4 points a game. The Giants' gave up 324.9 yards and 26.7 points a game (the Bills allowed 326 points, the Giants 427).

"Disciplined, attacking, aggressive, eleven hats to the football," is how Fewell describes his defensive approach.

In 2008, the Bills were fourth in the NFL in red zone defense, allowing a touchdown on only 41.8 percent of the opposition possessions inside the 20-yard line (23 of 55).

Fewell coached Chicago defensive backs in 2005, when the Bears led the NFC with 24 interceptions and cornerback Nathan Vasher and safety Mike Brown were selected to the Pro Bowl.

Said Coughlin, "His defenses have consistently done a good job taking the ball away."

In 2003 and 2004, Fewell was the secondary coach of the St. Louis Rams.

Fewell entered the NFL as the defensive backs coach for Coughlin and the Jaguars in 1998, a position he held through the 2002 season. Jacksonville's pass defense ranked third in the NFL in 1999 and two years later the Jaguars gave up only 13 touchdown passes.

"We brought Perry into the league in Jacksonville," said Coughlin, "and I was impressed with his thoroughness, his ability to work with the players and his absolute intent on learning all he could about his profession. He was hired as the secondary coach and he has had great experiences in St. Louis and Chicago with Lovie Smith and that system and in Buffalo with Dick Jauron, who was my original defensive coordinator in Jacksonville."

Fewell was a collegiate coach for 13 years before coming to the NFL. He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at the University of North Carolina in 1985 and '86. He was the defensive backs coach at Army in 1987. The following year, he began a four-year stint as the wide receivers coach at Kent State. In 1992, he returned to West Point, where he spent three seasons as the defensive line coach. Fewell's final college job was at Vanderbilt, where he coached the secondary from 1995-97 and was also assistant head coach in his final season there.

When asked to characterize his five years of working under Coughlin in Jacksonville, Fewell said, "I was a young coach, and he helped develop my philosophy of the game, the discipline, the know-how, the toughness that it takes and the attention to detail. Being prepared. That is what he instilled."

Fewell was born on Sept. 7, 1962 in Gastonia, N.C. He was on the football and track teams at South Point High School in Belmont, N.C. and was inducted into the Belmont Sports Hall of Fame in 2001. Fewell lettered as a defensive back for four years at Lenoir-Rhyne College and was named the team's most improved player in 1983. He graduated with a degree in business administration in 1985.

http://www.giants.com/news/headlines/story.asp?story_id=43935

I know nothing about the dude. Allowing the least or 2nd least pass yards in Buffalo isn't exactly a stat I want to rely on. Naturally I'm pessimistic (payback for Sheridan)... but I hope im proven wrong.