SportsWrath

Defensive end Osi Umenyiora questions role, future with NY Giants

Mr. P

osijpg-7e933e7b608f64dc_large.jpg

Since he was taken out of his starting role in Week 13, Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora had publicly handled his demotion well. But after the Giants' embarrassing 41-9 loss to the Panthers Sunday, which could eliminate them from the playoffs with a Dallas win Sunday night, Umenyiora let his frustration show in the team's post-game locker room.

Here is a transcript of his post-game comments:

"I couldn’t really explain what I’m feeling right now, disappointment is an understatement, in everything, the way everything has played out this year has been absolute nonsense, very disappointed, disheartened, discouraged, whatever you want to call it. I feel all those emotions. On a day like this, for us to come out and perform like that is unbelievable to me. I don’t even know what else to say."

Q: Where did the game get away from you?

"I don’t know, man. What did I play, five snaps today? I don’t know, I don’t know what happened. I thought I was the problem. It’s an unbelievable situation, man. Last game at Giants Stadium, probably as a Giant, just the way everything has unfolded has been unbelievable. I never would have dreamt this in a million years, but it is what it is, we live and we learn."

Q: Have you been ever part of such an up and down season?

"I can’t even sit here and answer any more questions. I’m about to say something that would get me really messed up, so I’m just going to leave now. You guys have a good day."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/12/defensive_end_osi_umenyiora_qu.html

Gee, Osi, maybe if you stepped up and became a leader instead of riding on the coat tails of such leadership (Strahan and now Tuck) and worked on your game--ya know, add in a few pass rush moves other than the sprint up the field past the quarterback and worked on stopping the run, you wouldn't be benched for a better all around player in Kiwanuka.

Things seem really bad right now because this is one of the worst days for the Giants in a very long while, probably since the Philly playoff game last season. Emotions are running high right now. Give it a month or two after the season ends and things will settle down. This team is in good shape going forward. There is only a couple of missing pieces on this team and most of them were here and just injured this year.

Osi will be back and I expect that if he has a healthy season next year, he will be back at Pro Bowl numbers again.

once Sheridan is gone and we have a legit DC Osi wont have anything to worry about. Sheridan just does not know how to run a Defense and that is what is wearing on OSI .

That's not the only thing. This team has got to figure out if perhaps it's Kiwi they need to keep over osi and keep him at end permanently opposite Tuck. Kiwi has the same speed, can rush the passer and plays the run better. it might be better the Giants go that route than holding onto Osi.There's going to be some hard decisions to be made, I think if he does go, then we'll at least get a 2nd for him.

Personally, I want him to stay, I like the guy.

Who in there right mind is going to give up a 2nd rounder for Osi? I mean, I guess anything is possible, Gaines Adams was traded for a

2nd rounder.

some team will look at him as the missing key to their playoff run. historically, anyone who says shit like this on the giants is gone. fine with me. another strahan millionaire

I really hope osi stays We all know what he could do. He's a great player maybe not the leader type but still.

He was a great player when Strahan was here. Now he's a mediocre at best player who can't defend the run and apparently can't keep his mouth shut and keep from whining.

Things seem really bad right now because this is one of the worst days for the Giants in a very long while, probably since the Philly playoff game last season. Emotions are running high right now. Give it a month or two after the season ends and things will settle down. This team is in good shape going forward. There is only a couple of missing pieces on this team and most of them were here and just injured this year.

Osi will be back and I expect that if he has a healthy season next year, he will be back at Pro Bowl numbers again.

Another season recovering from a knee injury and a different coordinator will see an improvement in him if he stays. I remember Strahan being pretty up and down in his first 5 years as well. Strahan is like Phil Simms though....a lot of people really did not grasp the level of QB play until we got that Sack of Shit Brown in there. :jerkoff:

some team will look at him as the missing key to their playoff run. historically, anyone who says shit like this on the giants is gone. fine with me. another strahan millionaire

LOL!!! Who remembers Chad Bratzke....other than the Colts for overpaying him.... :laugh:

Guest StrahansGap

once Sheridan is gone and we have a legit DC Osi wont have anything to worry about. Sheridan just does not know how to run a Defense and that is what is wearing on OSI .

Poor wittle Osi. He's not happy. Should I get him a fucking pacifier now? Lug...first let me say that I agree with you that Sheridan has to go. But can you explain to me why you and a lot of other people think the Mara's and the rest of the organization should bend over backwards for Osi Umenyiora? Right from day one (when he left practice with his head down, while stomping his feet) because he didn't agree with what Sheridan was trying to do. Wah,wah,wah. Grow the fuck up. Then he probably turned everyone else on the defense against the poor guy. They never gave him a chance. Sheridan's job was doomed from the start becuase Spags was loved so much by these guys. But Osi took it personal and therefore took it to another level. How about you suck it up for then sake of the TEAM, Osi? Was that to hard to do? Is that why you are going to go from pro-bowler to off-season bowler? He played like absolute shit this year. Like he was going through the motions and couldn't wait for the season to end. I lost all respect for Osi. I say we dump his ass. He's obviously not a team player......FUCK HIM! :furious:

Another season recovering from a knee injury and a different coordinator will see an improvement in him if he stays. I remember Strahan being pretty up and down in his first 5 years as well. Strahan is like Phil Simms though....a lot of people really did not grasp the level of QB play until we got that Sack of Shit Brown in there. :jerkoff:

I agree. Osi and Tuck will be better players next season.

I have no problem with Reese exploring Osi's trade value, but I'd like to see him back under a defensive coordinator that could properly use his talents. There's obviously been bad vibes since Day 1 with Osi and Sheridan.

With a little luck, we'll get Romeo Crennel as a coordinator next season, and the defense will know what the fuck they are supposed to be doing.

This was like watching a chess match between Kasparov and Bonzo the chimp.

I agree. Osi and Tuck will be better players next season.

I have no problem with Reese exploring Osi's trade value, but I'd like to see him back under a defensive coordinator that could properly use his talents. There's obviously been bad vibes since Day 1 with Osi and Sheridan.

With a little luck, we'll get Romeo Crennel as a coordinator next season, and the defense will know what the fuck they are supposed to be doing.

This was like watching a chess match between Kasparov and Bonzo the chimp.

LOL!!! Even some of the gangbanger wannabes on the Panthers were saying lets let up some as it was too embarrassing.

I've said this for a long, long time, and I'm probably going to receive flak for it once again, but Osi Umenyiora is a one trick pony. He has one pass rush move and it involves trying to out run the tackle he's facing. Anyone who is a little physical or that can side step with him up field past the quarterback will negate Osi Umenyiora's pass rush. It's why Justin Tuck got the contract. It's why Matthias Kiwanuka is now a starter. I'd go as far as saying that he's the most overrated defensive player we've had on this team in quite a while. Plus, a QB with any sort of pocket awareness whatsoever is just going to step up and let him blow past. I see it on nearly every play he is in.

Big deal, he's unhappy with his role. I'm unhappy with how he performs as a pass rusher and especially in run defense, and so, it seems, are the coaches and front office.

He was a great player when Strahan was here. Now he's a mediocre at best player who can't defend the run and apparently can't keep his mouth shut and keep from whining.

I disagree Storm. Osi is one of the passionate players that we have and wants to win as much as anybody in the league. But he was forced to play under a system that didnt know how to utilize him. Spags did. Sheridan didnt know his dick from his asshole about having an effective scheme and hence he had a run-in with him even before the season began. It was obvious he was not happy playing for Sheridan. Once Sheridan goes and a decent DC - infact with the way our coaching carousel looks - DC can be rephrased into Decent Coordinators - comes in, Osi will play to his full potential.

I disagree Storm. Osi is one of the passionate players that we have and wants to win as much as anybody in the league. But he was forced to play under a system that didnt know how to utilize him. Spags did. Sheridan didnt know his dick from his asshole about having an effective scheme and hence he had a run-in with him even before the season began. It was obvious he was not happy playing for Sheridan. Once Sheridan goes and a decent DC - infact with the way our coaching carousel looks - DC can be rephrased into Decent Coordinators - comes in, Osi will play to his full potential.

So his solution is give up on the field. I don't want players like that on my team.